PDA

View Full Version : PSA Check Your Kitchen Utensils

Bens Momma
08-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I have a few OXO Good Grips Utensils...Paring Knife, Veggie Peeler, Hand Grater. The thick, black grippy part slid off one of them as I was washing it and it was full of gooey mold :barf:! The grips fit pretty tight, but there is a small seam between the handle and the base of the utensil. I'm assuming since there's not watertight a little water/moisture gets in each time they're wash and the result is YUCK!!!! I investigated the OXOs and a few other utensils we have that are a similar 2 piece design (silicone spatula that has separate handle and spatula bottom) and sure enough they had it too! Granted it was inside and not directly contacting food, but it can't be sanitary!
DH was disgusted and told me to only buy one piece utensils from now on! Just a word of caution, check your utensils for hidden mold!

R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

gobadgers
08-08-2009, 10:43 AM
What an unpleasant discovery, I'm so sorry!

We have a few OXO utensils too, I'd always considered them the 'good' utensils. Not any more - I guess I'd better check them. Yuk!

s7714
08-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Ew! We had one of those rubber handle OXO knife blades snap off in the middle of cutting because the thing had rusted inside the handle! :( I promptly tossed the other two we had.

TonFirst
08-08-2009, 12:28 PM
This happened with my OXO God Grips cheese grater. It wasn't funky-gross, thankfully, but I noticed one day when I went to grate some parmesan that some water dripped down on the cheese. I pulled the rubber part off the handle and let it dry, and now I just pull the rubber off the handle and let the two parts dry separately when I take them out of the dishwasher.

Indianamom2
08-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Ditto to what TonFirst said. I don't know what brand my utensils are (a mish-mash, for certain), but for the kind that can be taken apart, I do, and let them air dry.

That being said, as I replace older items, I'm looking for all one-piece construction this time around, just to make it easier.

Christina

Melaine
08-08-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh shoot. I love my OXO stuff. I realized awhile ago that the handles come right off the can opener and fill with water but I've been able to dry it out after each wash so it seemed ok. Yuck yuck yuck...but thanks for letting us know, OP!

Bens Momma
08-08-2009, 08:07 PM
I love the OXO stuff too. I think I'll try pp suggestion and take the handles off before washing and let them dry out before putting back together. Just wanted to alert everyone to check their 2 piece utencils for moisture trapping areas!

Thanks

brittone2
08-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the tip. I still have a few OXO pieces...I wonder what's growing in them now :barf: Blech.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-08-2009, 08:49 PM
As DD would say "ewwww gwoss"!!!!

Thanks for the head's up!

ett
08-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Thanks for posting about this. I didn't know that the handle comes apart. I know water gets into it so I usually shake the water out when I take it out of the dishwasher. I'm afraid to see what's growing inside.

smiles33
08-08-2009, 09:37 PM
What timing! I had read your post earlier today but before I had a chance to tell DH (he does all the cooking), he was rinsing a ladle and shaking it dry when the top half flew off! It flew into the air and freaked us both out. He was surprised as he didn't know it was a 2 piece tool. I immediately thought of this thread and asked him to check for mold. There wasn't any, thank goodness!