PDA

View Full Version : Need iPod Touch Serviced

westgre
08-08-2009, 03:47 PM
The home button on my iPod touch doesn't work. I sent it to Apple, which sent it back to me unrepaired because the warranty was void due to an "unintentional liquid spill." So, water damage. Everything works except for the home button. To change apps I have to use the top button to turn it off and then back on again, which is moderately annoying, but doable. Should I even try to have it serviced? Apple's website is quoting $150, which is half of what I paid for it 4 months ago. Should I try a different service site? The nearest B&M apple service site is 3 hours away.

WatchingThemGrow
08-08-2009, 09:29 PM
no idea, but I picked up a NIB 2nd gen 8G for $160 on CL yesterday. They're giving them away w/Macbooks to students, who then might sell them if they already have an iPhone or Touch. Check CL if you want to go that route for a new one.

kijip
08-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Did you spill water on it?

Apple did not want to repair my computer or my husband's because they claimed they BOTH "must have been dropped". Um, no they were not. The inferior aluminum casings (and I say this as a long time Apple user) did not protect the internal components of our machines under normal usage. Causing serious issues for both of us.

After a LONG chat with the customer service people, they fixed them. Mine was essentially a new machine after all the things they needed to fix. And we now know that like it or not, this particular generation of MacBook Pros can't be used as a normal laptop. They are just too fragile.

If you did not get water on it, I would question them about their assumptions.

Frankly, a lot of my friends have had trouble lately with both iPods and their laptops.

If you did spill water on it, ignore me.

In my area there are a few places that repair iPods and the like for less than Apple. It's worth looking into.