PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Legos??

Pennylane
08-08-2009, 03:57 PM
I just ordered a huge box of used Legos from Ebay and was wondering what would be the best way to clean them ? Any thoughts are appreciated!

Ann

nrp
08-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I've read once on this board that the best way was just to throw them all in the bathtub with your soap of choice and let them soak in the hot water for awhile. Seemed like a good idea to me.

neeleymartin
08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
i put them in the tub of hot water. i skipped the soap and put bleach instead, about a cup. just enough to kill anything living on them. thoroughly rinsed after a 20 minute or so soak.

i just can't kick my bleach habit. so hard.

alirebco
08-08-2009, 07:58 PM
I would do a hot water soak with vinegar.

jgenie
08-08-2009, 08:17 PM
I would do a hot water soak with vinegar.

:yeahthat: I did this w/ the legos we bought second hand then put them in the sun to dry. Good as new!!

MamaKath
08-08-2009, 10:26 PM
If you have a front loader, put them in a mesh laundry bag, wash on hot with some soap and bleach. When they are done, lay them on a towel in the sun.

If no front loader, soak in tub with bleach and soap. Then dry the as above.

sarahjane936
08-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I used to work at a daycare and have cleaned a lot of toys in my day. We were required to wash/soak them in bleach water and then rinse in clear water. However, I love the front loader idea. I'm going to have to remember that one.

Piglet
08-10-2009, 05:03 PM
I have never done it but I remember reading that you can stuff them in panty hose and pop them in the dishwasher on sanitize. A mesh laundry bag would do the trick too.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-10-2009, 05:48 PM
:yeahthat: I did this w/ the legos we bought second hand then put them in the sun to dry. Good as new!!
Sounds like a good plan to me!

Pennylane
08-13-2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks everyone! I just got them today and am going to buy a mesh bag tomorrow.

Ann

Percycat
08-20-2009, 02:01 PM
We have washed large legos (duplo and quatro) in laundry sinks and in a mesh bag in our front loader. I usually lay the toys out to dry on towels spread around my kitchen counters. Once I was in a hurry and put the mesh bag in the dryer..... Don't do this. All of our quatro legos are now marked from the blocks hitting eachother in the dryer. Even if I were obsessed enough to try to remove the markings, I don't think I could. Live and learn....

Enjoy your new legos.
angela

pantrygirl
08-20-2009, 02:12 PM
I wonder, could you also throw them in the dishwasher in a mesh bag?

Just curious...

I've thrown our bath toys in the dishwasher with vinegar and it worked wonders!

sentini
08-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Mesh bag in the dishwasher is like magic. I have washed everything from legos to crocs; beach & pool toys to dog toys.
Dishwasher is my friend :)