PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading our play kitchen...recommendations?

HIU8
08-08-2009, 11:06 PM
We have a small play kitchen that my parents got for DS when he was about 18 months old. DD is very much into play kitchens and we have so much stuff and it just doesn't fit on the kitchen (it's a little tykes similar to this but roughly half the size http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3235582). DD is really into the play kitchen and we have a ton of items for it. However, 1) they don't all fit on the kitchen, 2) the kitchen has a fridge and oven and that's it. We would like to get rid of (most likely sell on Craigslist) what we have and get something bigger (significantly bigger as DS likes to play with it at the same time). Our thinking is to pool the grandparents gift money this holiday season and get something. Any suggestions of a good larger play kitchen with a variety of spaces (areas) to play? I'm looking on craigslist as well, but I know that is hit or miss.

MMMommy
08-08-2009, 11:43 PM
I like the gender neutral color and size of this Kidkraft kitchen. Notice the 42" height, which is taller than the smaller Kidkraft ones that have been around lately. $159.99 (shipping & handling included).

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11471913&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|25429|78460&N=4034793&Mo=7&pos=6&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78460&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC5938-Cat25429&topnav=

HIU8
08-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Anyone like plastic over wood or vice versa?

new_mommy25
08-10-2009, 01:43 PM
We bought a Kidkraft kitchen for DS when he was two and it is still going strong. Now DD has taken it over and she LOVES it. I am very happy with it and feel like I got my moneys worth (paid around $130). It has a lot of storage. Play foods are all in baskets in the refrigerator. Plates, silverware, etc. are in the dishwasher. Pots and pans are in the oven. There is a little space to the left of the sink with room for a play coffee maker and toaster. Despite all of that, it doesn't take up a lot of room. http://www.kidkraft.com/catalog/toys.asp?catid=8&subcatid=59&itemid=53115

I don't think you can go wrong with wooden or plastic. It just depends on what your personal preferences are (some people strongly prefer wood, especially if it is to be in a main living space) and what features you are looking for. I had a plastic kitchen growing up and remember it fondly. Step 2 has some really neat looking kitchens. I also love the look of Pottery Barn but they are waaay out of my budget!

This is my dream kitchen: http://www.willowtoys.com/catalog.php?category=1
I tried so hard to get one for my DS but unfortunetely couldn't get one due to the high expense of shipping. That's how we ended up with kidkraft. I don't love it, but the kids do, and that's all that matters.

brittone2
08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
We have an Elves and Angels kitchen and fridge. I like it, but my kids would be happy with plastic so YMMV.

DS's first kitchen was a curbside freebie (MDF...a little like the Kidkraft ones but less elaborate and it was pretty old and beatup). We were going to get a nice wooden one like E&A, but found this one just before a move out of state. Since most of his toys were already packed up, etc. we thought this would be a good way to entertain him until the move, and that we'd replace it once we arrived in our new house. DH spruced it up a bit, and it was gender-neutral when we found it (red and white). It ended up making the move w/ us to our new home.

That thing went for another 2 years. DS adored it!! The play kitchen and the train table took up most of his play time from age 2-3. I finally replaced it when he was 3 as I was pretty sure it wouldn't last through another child (and that's right around when my DD was born).

DS actually cried when he thought we were getting rid of the old MDF one even though he liked the E&A kitchen. So the MDF curbside freebie is up in the fort of our playstructure outside.

So I love our E&A and like that it could be passed down to future grandkids potentially. I like that real wood can be sanded/fixed. I like that it was made by a small business. But...my DS totally loved that cheapy MDF kitchen like nobody's business ;)