PDA

View Full Version : I'd like my medal now, please.

frgsnlzrds
08-08-2009, 11:58 PM
For being the worst mother in the world.

After a very long day of demanding, whiny, bickering kids, and cleaning several poop jobs off the carpet, and spilled milk, I totally snapped and told DS1 that I could not wait until he went back to school. I don't think I'm ever going to forget the way his face fell. :cry:

And to top it all off, after dinner I wanted to take them to a festival in a neighboring town, but the kids were so rotten in the car on the way to the carnival, that I just pulled over and turned around. They behaved the whole way home, at least, and the little one kept asking me, "Mommy, are you having a bad day? Do you have an angry face?"

Anyone have a cherry to top of my heaping bowl of guilt?

Wife_and_mommy
08-09-2009, 12:02 AM
:hug: Happens to the best of us.

kijip
08-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Lots of hugs from me. I was totally ready to throw in the towel today at a couple of different points. :hug:

sarahsthreads
08-09-2009, 12:10 AM
We all have days like that. I've told DD1 once or twice this summer that I couldn't wait for the first day of school...and not in an "I'm so excited for you that you are going to kindergarten" kind of way, but more like in a "go pitch a tent at the end of the driveway and wait there until the bus comes next month!" kind of way.

Mommy is allowed to have a bad day now and then, and an angry face to go with it. We're human, and not supposed to be perfect or infallible. Your DS1 is definitely old enough to understand if you apologize to him and reassure him that you love him and were just having a bad day. It's a good teachable moment to show him how to make amends after you use your words to hurt someone's feelings.

Now go relax (I'm assuming the kids are sleeping) and be kind to yourself. Start fresh tomorrow. Doesn't someone's sig around here say something like "tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it" or some such thing?

Sarah :)

kransden
08-09-2009, 12:37 AM
:hug: It has been a long hot summer.

frgsnlzrds
08-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Thank you all. :)

It was definitely a teachable moment. I sat down with DS1 today and told him that I was angry yesterday and said something I didn't mean. I told him I will miss him very much when he goes to school because we've had a lot of fun together over the summer. I explained that it wasn't him at all that I was mad at, but the way his brother acts so crazy when they play together and asked if he could play a little more quietly with him. And it was good to point out that even Moms make mistakes.

Truth be told, I'm the type of mom that starts out the summer with plans to go to a museum or zoo once a week, with daily picnics and trips to the park, but by the end of summer we haven't done a darned thing and I'm just so tired of refereeing so many fights that I have a countdown to the first day of school. But that's not something I want my kids to know.

I know I can be a better mom. I just have to work harder at it.

sste
08-09-2009, 02:13 PM
You are a great mom with THREE little ones and the brutal heat this week!

Is summer camp an option next year for your oldest? I am a huge fan of summer camp or DAILY park and rec programs for a certain age kiddo - - part-day or morning program only or full-day. It gets the ya-yas out, adds a little structure, and if you do part-day you have the mornings to gather strength for all those outings you were mentioning!

catpagmo
08-09-2009, 02:20 PM
Just wanted to say thank you for posting OP. This might sound weird, but...it really helps when people post about their parenting experiences. This same stuff happens to everyone, but not everyone will post about it (like me). So, thank you for sharing, and for helping me (and countless others, I'm sure) feel like I am not alone. It really helps! :)

Sorry you had a bad day. I have definitley BTDT more than I care to admit.:hug:

DietCokeLover
08-09-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm having one of those days today. I've yelled more times than I care to think of today. And then 5 minutes later I am a blubbering mess telling my children how sorry I am.

I finally put them both in their cribs and told them that they could have some toys in their beds because they were not in trouble, but that Mommy needed to put herself in time out.

I hate these days. It makes me feel so inadequate and I wonder why on earth God would trust someone like me to raise these beautiful children that He has given me.

Sigh.... tomorrow is another day.

MamaMolly
08-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Awww, cut yourself some slack mama. We have all been there. And like my MIL says, God only made one perfect person, and look what happened to Him. :)

ThreeofUs
08-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Hugs, mama. We all have days like that. It's hard enough with 2 - I can't imagine 3!

Twoboos
08-09-2009, 10:23 PM
Truth be told, I'm the type of mom that starts out the summer with plans to go to a museum or zoo once a week, with daily picnics and trips to the park, but by the end of summer we haven't done a darned thing and I'm just so tired of refereeing so many fights that I have a countdown to the first day of school. But that's not something I want my kids to know.

I know I can be a better mom. I just have to work harder at it.

This is exactly me. I keep meaning to do something fun and then... it rains/something comes up/they are terrible/it's too hot/too cold/one gets sick.... maybe we'll fit a couple of special things in this month before school starts. Or, not.

We are all doing the very best we can. Hang in there, you are a great mama!

And by the way, I am NOT giving up my medal, no ma'am! :wink2:

Laurel
08-10-2009, 12:49 AM
That medal is mine. I just told DD that I was tired of her Bulls*it stalling at bedtime. She was horrified. I win.

frgsnlzrds
08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
That medal is mine. I just told DD that I was tired of her Bulls*it stalling at bedtime. She was horrified. I win.

I'd call that a tie. ;) But I still don't think Twoboos is going to give up her medal.

I love your siggy, btw. You've got me beat. I've only been pregnant or nursing since March 2005.