PDA

View Full Version : White noise machines?

MeISOE
08-09-2009, 12:50 PM
We actually have never needed one of these at home, but we are about to spend a week in a beach house with 4 other couples, some with older kids, and I was thinking of buying one to take so my DS (19 mo) would possibly be able to sleep at a regular time while others were still up and around making noise. Has anyone ever used one, and if so, are they worth it? Or would a nice CD on repeat work just as well?

Melaine
08-09-2009, 01:29 PM
I have used a couple different ones. I still like a small portable fan best for white noise, it's just seems to "cover" background noises better IME.

wendibird22
08-09-2009, 01:33 PM
We have one from BBB that's $20 and has 6 different noises plus the ability to leave it on all night or set it do go off after 15, 30, or 60mins. We keep our set on the "waterfall" sound which is the most "white noise" sounding of them. Oh and it also has AC adapter plus battery which is nice if you aren't located near an electrical outlet.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=120905

DietCokeLover
08-09-2009, 02:37 PM
We have one that has several combinations of sounds that you can use. We use it whenever we travel, as our home AC is louder and runs constantly, so that kids are used to sleeping with that sound. It has been invaluable to us when we are away from home.

AngelaS
08-09-2009, 03:02 PM
We have one like Wendibird's and love it. I started using it in my littlest's room when she was a few months old during daytime naps. I love that we can pretty much do anything in the rest of the house and she still gets her undisturbed nap.

I only use it at night if there are thunderstorms and I want her to sleep thru. :D

nrp
08-09-2009, 03:09 PM
We use the sleepmate/soundscreen for both kids. Can't say enough about them. Travel with them. It's basically just a small fan motor. The thing is indestructible and has been going strong for three years after being dropped I don't know how many times.

WatchingThemGrow
08-09-2009, 03:42 PM
We use the sleepmate/soundscreen for both kids. Can't say enough about them. Travel with them. It's basically just a small fan motor. The thing is indestructible and has been going strong for three years after being dropped I don't know how many times.
That's Marpac 980, right? We got a couple after reading about them here. We love them and have to buy them for people who come stay with us because they love them so much as well!

nrp
08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
That's Marpac 980, right? We got a couple after reading about them here. We love them and have to buy them for people who come stay with us because they love them so much as well!

Yes - they are marpacs. I think we have two different models. One has a variable frequency and the other is just on/off. I don't find much difference. I'm jealous of the kids because I don't feel comfortable having one in our room since I couldn't hear them if they called out.

larig
08-09-2009, 06:22 PM
If you have an iphone there is a free white noise application called white noise lite. We used it all the time with DS. I like their beach sound a lot.

mecawa
08-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Yes - they are marpacs. I think we have two different models. One has a variable frequency and the other is just on/off. I don't find much difference. I'm jealous of the kids because I don't feel comfortable having one in our room since I couldn't hear them if they called out.

We just bought one of those for DD#1's room, and love it. We have the variable frequency one. I feel the same way, I would love to have one in my room as well but am afraid i wouldn't hear the baby.

misshollygolightly
08-09-2009, 07:00 PM
When we travel we just use the hotel alarm clock/radio (surely a beach house would have one?), set to static (sometimes easier on the AM dial) with the volume turned down fairly low. This has always worked just fine for us, though I know it isn't as "high quality" as a real white noise machine.

ThreeofUs
08-09-2009, 10:27 PM
When we travel we just use the hotel alarm clock/radio (surely a beach house would have one?), set to static (sometimes easier on the AM dial) with the volume turned down fairly low. This has always worked just fine for us, though I know it isn't as "high quality" as a real white noise machine.

Now where is that "light bulb going off over my head" emoticon?

What a WONDERFUL idea and thank you.

MeISOE
08-10-2009, 10:03 AM
This is all great help. I'll likley try the homedics version since it is cheapest and we haven't needed on eyet at home. I'm going to keep the Marpac versions in mind when I have a second child, because noise control may be that much more important. Thanks!!

dukie41181
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
One more vote of the awesome marpac!

DietCokeLover
08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
If you have an iphone there is a free white noise application called white noise lite. We used it all the time with DS. I like their beach sound a lot.

This is awesome!!!! Thank you for mentioning it.

hellokitty1
08-15-2009, 11:38 PM
I have used a couple different ones. I still like a small portable fan best for white noise, it's just seems to "cover" background noises better IME.

:yeahthat:

essnce629
09-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Another vote for the Marpac! My doula client had one and I loved it so much that I ordered it when I was still pregnant and used it in our room for several months before I even gave birth! We still use it in our room since baby sleeps in our room. When we travel we take it with us and my mom liked it so much that she bought one for herself as well! I now recommend it to all my doula clients!