PDA

View Full Version : Reusable Drinking Straws

toby
08-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Maybe I am looking in the wrong place, but I am having trouble finding resusable drinking straws (people are also looking at me as though they have never heard of such a thing!) Any suggestions for where to find them?

I don't want to have to pay shipping for such a small item which is why I am trying to get them locally, but the internet is Plan B. I am interested to know what kind of reusable straws you have- plastic, aluminum...?

Thanks!

alirebco
08-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Check out this blog post:
http://thesoftlandingbaby.com/2009/07/10/drinking-straws-getting-to-the-bottom-of-it/

larig
08-09-2009, 07:16 PM
I want those stainless ones!

vonfirmath
08-10-2009, 09:07 AM
my experience with reusable drinking straws (the kind that come in a cup, but are hard plastic, etc.) is that they are almost impossible to clean, mold grows in them, then we must throw them away. Frankly, straws to be hygenic need to be throw-away

Melaine
08-10-2009, 09:11 AM
my experience with reusable drinking straws (the kind that come in a cup, but are hard plastic, etc.) is that they are almost impossible to clean, mold grows in them, then we must throw them away. Frankly, straws to be hygenic need to be throw-away

That's kind of what I always thought. I do LOVE straws though. Maybe the stainless steel ones might be ok for just water if you do a good vinegar rinse to clean?

Charlie
08-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Try searching Amazon. I just found the stainless straws on there because I was intrigued. I also saw plastic and glass. I hate the thought of throwing away so many straws but I really love to bite my straws and I just don't think reusable straws will be satisfying for me.

toby
08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the helpful article.

I think that I will try the stainless steel ones...
I read somewhere that you can keep reusable straws clean by putting through the dishwasher and rinsing with vinegar and water once in a while or cleaning with a slightly soapy pipe cleaner (!) or using Dr. Brown's vent cleaning brushes (http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Browns-Natural-Cleaning-Brush/dp/B0006BAJN6)