PDA

View Full Version : Ridiculously frequent urination BTDT?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-09-2009, 03:18 PM
4 yo DS is urinating about every 15 minutes. We have a ped appt tomorrow morning but this has been going on for several days. Dry at night. No other symptoms. DD has been potty training this week as well, so this has not been a very good week!

JBaxter
08-09-2009, 03:57 PM
Is he drinking alot too?

kijip
08-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Is he really peeing a lot each time or a tiny amount each time?

Rainbows&Roses
08-09-2009, 04:01 PM
My DD has gone through 3 or 4 phases like this in the past few years. For her, it is absolutely nothing physical. It is mental/emotional.

Last year at about 4.5 yrs, it was so bad and went on for three full weeks, I actually had to set up a system where she had 20 tokens to go to the restroom all day and she was rewarded for the number she had left at the end of the day. I think this phase was an attention thing (we had determined there was nothing physical previous to this) and our little system easily broke her of the habit as she only would use 6 or 7 a day and was not in any kind of distress or in need of using the restroom more than she was.

She just went through something similar, though not as bad about a month ago, but it only lasted a few days and we just ignored it. I think some of these phases might start when she almost has an accident.

I would definitely talk to the ped, but if there is nothing medically wrong, it may just be a phase (or be a result of the attention the sibling is getting for successful potty trips?)

brittone2
08-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Is he getting rewards for PTing? I wonder if he's just trying to rack them up ;) (not trying to make light of it since it obviously could have a medical cause...just something that popped into my head)

No fever or pain from what you describe, right? If he's really busy and intense w/ some play does he still need to get up to pee every 15 mins?

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Is he getting rewards for PTing? I wonder if he's just trying to rack them up ;) (not trying to make light of it since it obviously could have a medical cause...just something that popped into my head)

No fever or pain from what you describe, right? If he's really busy and intense w/ some play does he still need to get up to pee every 15 mins?

No, no. it is DD who is potty training ( long long over due, I know but my priorities have been elsewhere). There is some amt of urine coming out each time. Sometimes a dribble, sometimes a lot. He told me the other day that he needs to go to the dr. as this is making him "crazy" :) I am really hoping this is not a stress thing, as sometimes our home does become less than peaceful. And, yes, he even gets up from what he is doing, even when he is having a great time, to go pee.

brittone2
08-09-2009, 04:20 PM
No, no. it is DD who is potty training ( long long over due, I know but my priorities have been elsewhere). There is some amt of urine coming out each time. Sometimes a dribble, sometimes a lot. He told me the other day that he needs to go to the dr. as this is making him "crazy" :) I am really hoping this is not a stress thing, as sometimes our home does become less than peaceful. And, yes, he even gets up from what he is doing, even when he is having a great time, to go pee.

Gotcha. It sounds worth a trip to the doc for them to maybe do a culture and quick exam, just to get more info. I hope it resolves itself soon :hug:

Melbel
08-09-2009, 06:03 PM
BTDT w/ DD1. It is important to rule out an UTI or diabetes, but daytime frequency of urination (pollakiuria) is actually quite common between the ages of 4-6. DD1 had a challenging case following DS1's tonsillectomy. I repeatedly had to assure her that she could hold it longer and that her body was tricking her. I would sometimes give the "pep talk" assurance 50x a day which was not easy. It did go away. The pediatrician that we saw that day had a DD who had experienced the same condition which was reassuring. Good luck!

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/symptoms/a/05_freq_urntion.htm

http://drconcannon.com/FREQDAYURIN.htm

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/HealthAZ/Daytime-Frequency-of-Urination.aspx?articleID=9075&categoryID=AZ2f

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-09-2009, 07:29 PM
BTDT w/ DD1. It is important to rule out an UTI or diabetes, but daytime frequency of urination (pollakiuria) is actually quite common between the ages of 4-6. DD1 had a challenging case following DS1's tonsillectomy. I repeatedly had to assure her that she could hold it longer and that her body was tricking her. I would sometimes give the "pep talk" assurance 50x a day which was not easy. It did go away. The pediatrician that we saw that day had a DD who had experienced the same condition which was reassuring. Good luck!

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/symptoms/a/05_freq_urntion.htm

http://drconcannon.com/FREQDAYURIN.htm

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca/HealthAZ/Daytime-Frequency-of-Urination.aspx?articleID=9075&categoryID=AZ2f

Thank you Melissa! Very helpful information!

o_mom
08-09-2009, 07:34 PM

We went through this with DS1 a year or so ago.... in his case, he was also wetting his pants. It took us a long time for him to work through it, but ultimately it did go away with no treatment (we took him in and got the all clear).

KpbS
08-09-2009, 08:13 PM
We went through this too w/ DS1 a little more than a year ago. I couldn't put my finger on anything that would have caused it and did take him to the ped b/c a cousin of mine has juvenile diabetes and I wanted to rule that out. Everything checked out normal--ped. suggested that he could be constipated (knew he was not) or it could just be a developmental thing that would go away fairly quickly. Sure enough it did about a week and a half later. Very odd. I think it relates to a new/different level of awareness about bladder control. I tried to emphasize to DS1 to wait until he really needed to go but honestly I think ignoring it (difficult to do) is best.

GL

MissyAg94
08-10-2009, 04:27 PM
I went through this with my daughter a few months ago. She will be four in August. Her problem was that her dance teacher "scolded" me (in front of my daughter) when she had to leave class to go to the restroom. Our ped said that sometimes when you restrict how often a child can go, they will panic and need to go often. We repeatedly reassured my daughter that she could go whenever she needed to go. Everywhere we went, she would ask me if they had a bathroom and if she could use it. As soon as we got in the car to go anywhere, she would freak out and need to go desperately. It was a hard time for her and for me. She got over it in about a month.

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the responses! We saw ped this am and urine does show one of the markers for UTI so needs to be sent off for further testing. He said it is very uncommon, though, for a circumcised male to have a uti ( surprised me). So we are still in pee lockdown, going every ten minutes today. Really hoping this is not a stress thing! (and resolvable by start of school)

brittone2
08-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the responses! We saw ped this am and urine does show one of the markers for UTI so needs to be sent off for further testing. He said it is very uncommon, though, for a circumcised male to have a uti ( surprised me). So we are still in pee lockdown, going every ten minutes today. Really hoping this is not a stress thing! (and resolvable by start of school)

I hope you can get some answers :hug:

FWIW, UTI in intact males is pretty rare too. Some studies say slightly more common, but UTI in males in general is pretty uncommon as compared to females.

buttergirl12
08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
We went through this with DS1 last year. Ped said it is so uncommon for boys to have a UTI he didn't even test. It was Pollakiuria (there was a link in a previous post). It started at night and got DS very upset. He went so often he couldn't go anymore but felt he had to. We never figured out what triggered it and it just went away on it's own. We were told to just pretend it's normal and help him not to focus on it and it helped. Once in while he still complains about how often he has to go but we just shrug our shoulders and tell him he just drank a lot and that seems to help instantly.