PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for a special Big Brother gift?

Mommy_Again
08-09-2009, 07:50 PM
DS will be almost 6 when his first sibling arrives at the end of September. I am racking my brains for a gift to get him...at this point I am not even sure if I should do something really cool that he can play with, or something more special that he will keep. His birthday is just 5 weeks after DD will be born, and we are toying with the idea of building him a tree fort - so that will be a very big deal. But I still want him to feel special when his sister gets here. I honestly haven't bought him toys in so long, so I am at a loss. Any ideas?

neeleymartin
08-09-2009, 08:10 PM
what about a book? one that he could read. one that comes to mind is called "My big Brother." my ds1 (only 2) can "read" this book with ease. we got it at the library. so glad i picked it up.

http://tinyurl.com/mzezky

your "big brother" could read this to his little one. the pics are amazing and funny. believe, i teach grade 1 reading, the kids LOVE to read to younger ones, be it siblings or others. it;s a great way to show off. aside from the fact that books are an amazing keepsake. hth

kedss
08-09-2009, 09:15 PM
We got our DS who was 4.5 years old a digital camera when his sister was born, it's a real one, that we all use now, but its his camera. :)

JBaxter
08-09-2009, 09:25 PM
I like the digital camera idea. Its a "big kid" item. NintendoDS if he doenst have one would be cool.

Melbel
08-09-2009, 09:45 PM
We purchased DS an over-sized nice wood chess/checkers board when DD2 was born (DS was 8). It is well made and I can see him keeping it into his adult years. He loves to play chess and taught DD1 how to play. I think the camera idea is great too.

brittone2
08-09-2009, 09:50 PM
I like the digital camera idea (perhaps w/ a skin/cover of some sort and a lanyard). My 5.5 year old has been saving for a digital camera for a while. He hasn't mentioned it in a few weeks so I haven't brought it up, but previously he was really into the idea and saved for months for it.

In any case, I know he'd enjoy that as a gift :)

My DS's other favorites are:
vehicles (loves his RideMakerz car-like Build a Bear with cars ;) )
Lego
Playmobil
books, and books on CD

The Lego, PM, etc. aren't earth shattering though and I'm not sure if they fit what you are looking for