PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a DS that takes ballet?

MMEand1
08-09-2009, 10:18 PM
My DS (will be 7 in a few months) will be starting ballet next month. We do not put "gender" identities on activities, meaning that we do not say that ballet is for girls and karate is for boys, so he has no idea that he will be only 1 of 2 boys in the class. I'm wondering if this will even be an issue and if so, how do I handle it?

He is a runner and takes martial arts classes and we offered him the chance to take piano lessons or ballet. He said that he wanted to try ballet because there would be girls in the class!

I'm not sure if clothes are gender neutral at this age, or if there is something specific that he needs geared for little boys. I know that we will get more information as it comes time for class, but just curious if there were other moms of boys that have already BTDT that could shed a little light on it!

Thanks!

fauve01
08-09-2009, 11:53 PM
no BTDT from me (there weren't any boys in DD's ballet class a couple summers ago), BUT my BIL majored in dance in college. he told me he started ballet classes around 7 and he was almost always the only boy. he said he just didn't care, he wanted to dance.

not sure if that helps you!

Anne + DD 10-03

vejemom
08-10-2009, 08:09 AM
In my albeit limited experience, boys and men do wear different clothes for ballet. Typically a white, short sleeved T-shirt, heavy (male-specific) black dance tights, and black or white ballet slippers. And, um, a "dance belt" - sort of a jock strap geared for dancing. Girls normally wear a black leotard, pink tights, and pink slippers. I'm sure that the school will give you guidance as the class gets closer.

Congrats to him for choosing ballet! It is way more athletic than most boys/men will ever realize. But watch a professional company, where the lead danseur is holding the ballerina over his head with one hand, and tell me that doesn't require as much strength as football!

new_mommy25
08-10-2009, 01:24 PM
I think it is up to the dance instructor. My DS took ballet for a year. There were a few boys in the class. The girls all wore leotards and buns. The boys wore comfortable shorts and shirts, tucked in, with black ballet slippers.

citymama
08-10-2009, 02:25 PM
Congrats to your DS - how awesome!

michellerw
08-10-2009, 07:15 PM
For more information on dancing sons (and support) I highly recommend the BalletTalk for Dancers boards at http://dancers.invisionzone.com The mods over there are very knowledgeable about good training and the other parents are extremely supportive. It's a nice environment, especially if your DS becomes serious about it.