PDA

View Full Version : What's this rash?

frgsnlzrds
08-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Calling all doctor mommy's! In all my 10+ years of mommying, I haven't seen this type of rash yet. My policy with them so far is to try benedryl and if they don't get better in a week to call the dr. But this one looks funny so I'm asking for advice, please.

DS2 had an irregular red blotchy spot on his tummy that has spread all over his torso, a little on his back, a few on his face, arms, and legs. The original spot has gotten much bigger (bigger than my hand) and the inside has gone back to a fleshy color while the outside is lined in pink. Benedryl has no effect. Anyone else's kiddo had something like this? We've had tons of hives, pimples, and spots before, but nothing splotchy like this.

SnuggleBuggles
08-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Maybe 5ths disease?

Beth

catsnkid
08-10-2009, 07:05 PM
I actually remember having 5th disease and that's what it sounds like. I think you sometimes get a mild fever too.

frgsnlzrds
08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
He's acting otherwise fine. I called the dr and he said that unless any of them form rings not to worry. Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
08-10-2009, 09:04 PM
5ths has gone around here lately. Usually there is a mild fever for a day or less then nothing for a few days. Then the rash appears.

We had a random virus last week that worked through our friend's family then our family that was a high fever for a day then nothing then a rash like you describe (though all the kids got the rash a bit differently). The rash didn't bother them so we didn't treat it in any way.

Hope all is well.

Beth

pahahn
08-10-2009, 09:50 PM
sounds like it's a viral rash - maybe something called pityriasis rosea - look it up on the internet and see if it looks like the rash in question.
did the larger spot on his tummy come out first and then in a day or so the rest started to come out?
did he have cold symptoms prior to the rash?

allangering
08-11-2009, 08:11 AM
The skin is the largest organ in the body, and you need to moisturize it in the winter," You will need to take prescription vermicides just to keep your mother happy and some cosmetic moisturizing cream to satisfy nosey parkers. Other than that, sleep in a hot bath for three days and you'll be right as rain.