PDA

View Full Version : Bunk beds? Twin/Twin or Twin/Full?

WatchingThemGrow
08-10-2009, 06:34 PM
We're probably going to order soon, can't decide which would be better. We figure we'll use them as 1)one twin then 2) two twins on the floor, 3) twin/full or twin/twin bunks.

I prefer to sit on the twin over full to read with all the little people, but maybe by the time we can use the full bed with the twin bunk on top, they'll be too big for reading.

What makes the most sense. Is the regular twin over twin configuration better or the twin over full configuration? They both break down into two twin beds. Thanks for any insight.

The set we are looking to get (matches the rest of the room) is http://www.youngamerica.com/product/202906/8251400762/_/4%26%23160%3Bseasons%3Cbr%3Etranquility_honey%3Cbr %3E_twin_over__double_bunk_bed/Collection/4_seasons in the serenity cinnamon finish.

brittone2
08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
One thing we've thought about if we ever go this route is that in a pinch, w/ a twin over full you can kick the kids out and have a little space for overnight houseguests if that's a concern. 2 adults could squeeze in a full in a pinch.

kristac
08-10-2009, 06:41 PM
If you have the room I would do twin over full. We have a twin over twin and it's a tight squeeze for bedtime stories. I also agree about guests, and some nights my boys like to "sleep over" in the bottom bunk together. I full would give them each a bit more space.

niccig
08-10-2009, 06:42 PM
We have a twin over a full. I was against the Full, but DH was right about it.

All 3 of us and the dog can get on the bed for reading books.
I can sleep beside DS when he's sick/nightmares and I'm comfortable.
I've slept on the twin when DH's snoring has woken me up.
We have 3 extra beds for family, and DS sleeps on a camp mattress on our floor.
When DS is a teenager, we can take the twin off and he has a full bed. DH said he was uncomfortable as a teenanger in a twin bed. But he doesn't complain about his dorm room bed, so he probably was OK with the twin.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-10-2009, 06:59 PM
DD has a full size bed and I love it. We can all get in there and read to her at night. Also, when she is sick/scared/needing snuggles, it's no big deal to hop in with her. She loves it because she can keep some books, a few stuffed animals, and a toy or two in there when she goes to sleep.

WatchingThemGrow
08-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Right, so DD has a full with a trundle already, and that's what we were planning to do with DS. Now that we have DS2 just 18 mos behind, we realize we'll likely be staying in this tiny house a while longer and they'll have to share a room.

We do have a comfy futon in our sunroom/laundry room that can serve as guest space also. Actually, we stay in the guest space and let the guests have the master br. And...quite frankly...no one wants to stay with us b/c we already have 5 ppl in 1400 sf :( Well, the ones who really love us do :)

The saleslady at FLS said we can always remove the twin footboards and put an xl mattress on a metal frame, but I hated twins myself and moved to a queen at 10. We were only thinking we'd keep this set for 10 yrs then get a full/queen for each boy at that point (assuming we'll have 4 brs).

She also said it was rumored they might do away with the twin/full configuration b/c it isn't a high seller. Do you think they are a design of yesteryear?

ThreeofUs
08-10-2009, 09:41 PM
We got the twin-over-full from Costco. We *love* it. GL!

baileygirl
08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
We did twin over twin. Right now I don't have the top part together (ds is only 2.5), but I figure at some point I will probably move his baby brother into his room. I think I would probably use them as two twin beds and then put them together as bunk beds when ds #2 was around 4. For what it is worth, neither dh nor I have problems laying in bed reading with ds. We can actually add a trundle to the bottom bunk, which I might consider doing at a later date (to stack them 3 high). If it was being used as a guest bed, I would probably go with a full bottom. Really it depends on how much space you have and what you plan on using the bed for.

Mermanaid
08-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I would do the twin over full -- if the design of the bed is such that there is an extra support that bolts to the outside of the bed to create the full. So, essentially you get two twins with an extra piece you bolt on the side that can fit the full mattress. That way, you can choose the configuration you want ... when you want it.

All of the Stanley furniture we looked at worked that way .... not sure about any other brands.

ahrimie
08-11-2009, 01:21 AM
I grew up with a twin/twin bunk and thought it was fine. Looking back, we did have the room for a full when we shared a room but a twin/twin was more than enough room. I even slept in that bed until I graduated college!

My bro and I would set up "tents" and forts and play on the bottom bunk. Later, we separated the beds and had our separate rooms. Also, consider if your DC would fight over who got the bigger bed or the bottom/top bunk. Usually the older kid goes up top (well, we did since I would be less likely to fall out than my younger bro) and likely, they want/need the bigger bed. Would you feel comfortable having the little one on top?

My younger bro was always on the bottom and when we were really little, my parents used to block it off with our kitchen chairs just in case ;)