PDA

View Full Version : tell me everything about myrtle beach

skohng
08-10-2009, 07:45 PM
hi all,

we (dh, me, ds 4yo, ds 21 months) were originally going with close family friends (with ds 5yo and dd 2yo) to disney. a little out of our budget so looking into other options.

is myrtle beach a good destination for kids this age? what is there to do? I looked at their official site and its' a bit overwhelming. tips, suggestions, caveats? thanks.

DietCokeLover
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
There are tons of things to do in the Myrtle Beach area. What time of year are you thinking of going?

I'm from SC originally, up until 4 years ago, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

You're welcome to PM me with specific questions if you like.

skohng
08-14-2009, 01:26 PM
hi mama,

I sent you a PM, but i basically need any and all details you can think of! We were thinking the week of Sept 14th. We'd like to keep the kids busy with activities. What are the best areas to stay? What Date-night activities do you suggest for after the kids go down?

I really appreciate it. Thanks!

westgre
08-29-2009, 09:45 PM
Very familiar with Myrtle Beach. We lived there about ten years ago, my sister still lives there, and we go at least once a year.
Definitely hit Ripley's Aquarium, that is one of my kids' favorites. I would go about 4 pm and make an evening of it. The crowds seem better after 4. Of course the beach itself is a huge hit with my kids. They also liked Myrtle Waves water park -- they do have a large area with a toddler pool, kiddie slides, and a small lazy river that's great for younger kids. Surfside Beach has a water park called Wild Water and Wheels that might be less expensive. Another pretty cheap option is a new place that opened this year called Wee Jump, which has indoor inflatables the kids can jump, slide, etc. Broadway at the Beach is an outdoor shopping area which has a few carnival type rides that originally came from the Pavillion. There's also a pretty nice park type area with playground equipment at Broadway. And there's some water sprinklers that a lot of kids play in there, too.
As for date night, check to see if anyone is playing the House of Blues while you're there. There's tons of good restaurants as well, depending on what kind of food you like.
Drunken Jacks in Murrells Inlet has good seafood, so I hear (I don't like seafood.) El Cerro Grande has great Mexican food.
I'll try to think some more...

zoestargrove
09-09-2009, 11:39 AM
We vacationed at North Myrtle Beach 2 Septembers in a row. The boys were 2 and 3.5 the first year. We rented a condo right on the beach and that was soooo very nice to have easy access to the beach - close enough to run back to go the bathroom etc. I loved going that time of year. The weather was beautiful - in the 80s. The water was awesome and we had the beach practically to ourselves!

There is a lot to do. We loved the aquarium. The kids enjoyed the rides at Broadway at the Beach and we played mini golf there too. The maze of mirrors and the Alligator park at Barefoot landings.