PDA

View Full Version : Self hypnosis for pain?

MamaKath
08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
I was wondering if any of you or your so have used hypnosis for pain relief. I was asked today (by a family member) if I thought it would work, especially for chronic pain conditions. I certainly think it could, but have no experience with it for that. Any resources or experiences would be very helpful.

TIA~

brittone2
08-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Well, it isn't chronic pain, but I used Hypnobirthing w/ my labor/delivery with DS, and Hypnobabies/Hypnobirthing w/ DD. Hypnosis worked really, really well for me in labor and delivery :) The weird thing was when I was taking my Hypnobirthing class...I kept feeling like okay, I feel relaxed, but I don't feel "hypnotized"...I don't know what I expected to feel LOL. But honestly, when it came to L&D, it worked beautifully.

In my classes while preggo with DS, our instructor had us practice some of the techniques while holding an ice cube in our hand, etc.

Those are very different from chronic pain, but honestly I think it is worth a try and there's really no "risk" involved. I definitely feel pain/anxiety/etc. are interlinked closely.

Are they looking for a self study program or are they planning to work with someone licensed in hypnosis?

ourbabygirl
08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
No experience with hypnosis for pain relief, but I do have an aunt who used hypnosis/ a hypnotherapist to quit smoking, and it worked (many years later, still not smoking). And I saw a hypnotherapist in late '07 and early '08 to help me through fertility issues (or what I thought were), and it worked (DD is now 10 months old)! I'd give it a try... it helped me with other things, too (meditation, stress maintenance, etc.), and I'm glad I did it!

MamaKath
08-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Those are very different from chronic pain, but honestly I think it is worth a try and there's really no "risk" involved. I definitely feel pain/anxiety/etc. are interlinked closely.

Are they looking for a self study program or are they planning to work with someone licensed in hypnosis?
This is what I was thinking too, no risk. And hypnobirthing did come to mind. Not sure on self study or working with someone licensed. Not sure how you would even find someone down here licensed in that, lol.

MamaKath
08-10-2009, 10:33 PM
No experience with hypnosis for pain relief, but I do have an aunt who used hypnosis/ a hypnotherapist to quit smoking, and it worked (many years later, still not smoking). And I saw a hypnotherapist in late '07 and early '08 to help me through fertility issues (or what I thought were), and it worked (DD is now 10 months old)! I'd give it a try... it helped me with other things, too (meditation, stress maintenance, etc.), and I'm glad I did it!
Thanks for this insight and success story! I am excited for any examples that will help remind them that hypnosis can be very successful.

Gena
08-10-2009, 10:40 PM
When I was a young, I read book my dad had called "How to Hypnotize Yourself and Others." I never was good at the "and others", but I learned some good techniques for myself.

Luckily I don't have any chronic pain, but I have used self-hypnosis for menstral cramps, as well as pain from sprains, and from minor surgeries. Some days it works better than others.

MamaKath
08-10-2009, 11:05 PM
When I was a young, I read book my dad had called "How to Hypnotize Yourself and Others." I never was good at the "and others", but I learned some good techniques for myself.

Lol, I think I have that book. I know I have one that has a wacky black and white spiral on the cover. I defintiely think the frame of mind for that day will play a part.

Twoboos
08-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Not me personally, but my mom used to love Belleruth Naprestak for a variety of issues! She has many cds for all kinds of things, including one for pain.

Health Journeys: A Meditation to Ease Pain [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD)
by Belleruth Naparstek

MamaKath
08-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Not me personally, but my mom used to love Belleruth Naprestak for a variety of issues! She has many cds for all kinds of things, including one for pain.

Health Journeys: A Meditation to Ease Pain [AUDIOBOOK] (Audio CD)
by Belleruth Naparstek
Thank you! It helps to have a specific author, I have been trying to weed out the different options today and it is hard to tell which will be successful.

eliasmom
08-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Definitely. When I was in college, my martial arts instructor had us self-hypnotize using the Silva method and I found it to be amazing for some chronic conditions I had. I wish I remembered how to do it and I'm just a little too busy right now to actually take the Silva course. It would be super easy to do with some tapes. FWIW, it also helped with helping me get to sleep and dealing with non-pain related issues in my life.

lilycat88
08-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Thank you! It helps to have a specific author, I have been trying to weed out the different options today and it is hard to tell which will be successful.

My therapist is a big fan of Belleruthe's stuff. I've used her sleep, stress and trauma CDs. Her CDs are guided imagery. If self-hypnosis is the goal, someone would need to see a hypnotherapist to be taught the techniques. Guided imagery is very effective, though. I would trust anything on the HealthJourneys website even if it's not Belleruthe's.