View Full Version : Thyroid help!

jse107
08-10-2009, 10:49 PM
I just got the results of my thyroid panel and they are as follows:
TSH-- 2.350
T3--27
Free T4--.88
Free T3--2.1

The receptionist/nurse/whoever I talked to on the phone said that the doctor filed it under "normal results." The only thing that was low was the free T3, but not by much and not to worry about it.

I can't seem to find "normal" ranges online, or any way to really interpret what these numbers mean.

The panel was suggested by a nutritionist I saw, due to symptoms including: night sweats, fatigue, anxiety/depression (for which I am on Lexapro), hot flashes, weight gain (hence the nutritionist), no libido, and constipation.

Maybe these are all just due to motherhood!

I know some of you ladies will help me out! Thanks in advance for any insight.

hardysmom
08-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Generally, the one they watch is TSH. Most Endocrinologists say .3 to 3 is "normal". There used to be a wider range (to 5).

I'm impressed anyone measured your T3 and T4. Usually, you have to all but beg a regular doctor to look at them.

I am Hypothyroid and it has been well maintained with meds for 10 years. Last week, I was at 1.37 which is in the normal range.

Your symptoms do fit, but not the lab values. Your levels are more on the high side than the low side.

Stephanie

megs4413
08-10-2009, 11:04 PM
your symptoms seem more indicative of hyperthyroidism, but your lab values don't correspond. maybe it's a different hormone issue? are you on hormonal BC at all? nursing? experiencing any changes in your menstrual cycle?

lablover
08-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Most of your symptoms sound hypo to me, except for the hot flashes/sweats. Optimal point for the free T's is the middle to upper part of the range. T4 range is usually 0.7 - 2.0 and T3 is 2.3 - 4.2. Yours seem low. You may want to test to see if you have thyroid antibodies. Also, my thyroid went haywire after both kids (and I was already on thyroid medication prior to having kids). I swung very hyper for several months and then went severely hypo. There was always a lag between the start of my hypo symptoms and when it would show up in my lab results. Thankfully after my second child the doctor believed me when I started feeling bad and upped my dosage even though my lab results were still normal, and I was able to avoid most of the horrible symptoms I had the first time around.

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/antibody.htm