PDA

View Full Version : What did you study/ train as v. What you do now

ha98ed14
08-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Just for fun. I am always amazed at the wealth of info on this board and I think it comes from the collective education and training we have prior to kids. So, what were you in your pre-mommy life? And if your still gainfully employed ;), are you doing what your degree might lead people to believe?

I'll go first: Masters in urban and environmental planning/ policy, worked in it for several years pre-DD. Now a SAHM going back FT for math edu.

Melaine
08-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Communications major, worked as legal secretary. One day hope to return to writing, which is what I loved in Communications.
Not gainfully employed currently unless you count selling stuff on Craigslist.

mecawa
08-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Studied Early Childhood Education (B.S., M.E.D.) and Psychology (B.S.). Worked for several years in the Early Childhood field (taught pre K, K, and then 2nd grade) After DD#1 was born I ended up being a SAHM, was thinking of maybe going back into it when I discovered DD#2 was on the way.

wendibird22
08-11-2009, 12:46 PM
BS in Medical Technology (the person who runs throat cultures and CBCs and all that stuff you get blood drawn for). Worked at it a little while. Landed a job at a college working in student activities and went back for my M.Ed. in Higher Education Administration. My BS degree proudly hangs on the wall of my office to show students it's ok to have a degree in something and do something entirely different.

I do lament that I wasted years of college pulling all nighters in order to pass organic chemistry, physics, etc. But, any time I, DH, or DD (or heck even our dog) go to the doc I can always talk the lingo about viruses, bacteria, fungus, and lab results. So, in that regard, the knowledge is helpful.

mommylamb
08-11-2009, 12:49 PM
My Masters is in public policy and that is what I do for a living (I work for elected officials in a bipartisan org doing policy). My undergrad was in psychology and sociology. I originally thought I wanted to be a social worker. I worked for 4 years in a shelter for battered women and children and decided not to get an MSW. I'm glad I did what I did.

pb&j
08-11-2009, 12:51 PM
College:
Majored in Sociology, minored in Math
1st career:
Airline pilot
While working as a pilot, I earned my M.S. in Aeronautical Science, w/a concentration in management.

Economy went south, so I took some time off to go to grad school.
M.Ed. in Instructional Technology
-and then my airline went bust, so I had to get a real job
Second career:
Worked for several years doing instructional design, and now use NONE of my degrees doing technical implementations with clients for a software company. But it was my M.Ed. that got me in the door here doing training and documentation, originally.

brittone2
08-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Masters in Physical therapy, and I worked in early intervention/pediatric PT.

Now I'm the chief butt-wiper, meal preparer, laundry doer, and homeschooling mom around here. But I wouldn't trade it (most days ;) ). I loved my work as a PT but I love being home (most days ;) )

elektra
08-11-2009, 12:55 PM
B.A. in Sociology from UCLA. I wish I would have done a different major like Communications maybe, but that is difficult to get into at UCLA, although I think I would have had the grades to get in. A good portion of the athletes at UCLA get pushed into Sociology by the athletic counselors as it's one of the "easier" majors and more conducive to an athlete's schedule for games and such (ex. no extra labs).
I now work in Marketing/Advertising.

Seitvonzu
08-11-2009, 01:04 PM
i met dh in the psychology PhD program at Penn State. He was a year ahead of me, and got his PhD in cognitive psychology. I got my master's in developmental psych; i'm basically "all but dissertation" but that's a BIG but when you consider i would have to propose, conduct and defend a HUGE project that involves probably around 100 kiddos. since i *did* complete my comprehensive exam, i'd also have to pay back tuition at the rate they were charging when i did finish. hard stuff! so , realistically, i'm stopping at a master's.

since i always planned on being a SAHM, i'm not too upset about not completing my PhD-- my mother is still upset though. she offered me bribes and everything ;) in my defense, i went to a state school for undergrad (and i'm super grateful to my parent's for that) and then i was *paid* to go to grad school- no loans! i hate admiting what my degree is in, especially since i now have a developing child-- people always assume i have some type of expertise in all sorts of things (language development, infant behavior, etc), when really all i know about with certainty is logical development in 4-7 year olds (here is the upshot-- they aren't logical, but do get more so :). oh, and i also know that all kids believe in magical things at some level-- i did a neat experiment where i created a magical character belief (think santa claus!) IN THE LAB. you can do stuff like this to adults too, so deep down, we're all a little magic-oriented :)

if it was a legitimate job, i'd be a professional student. when i visited grad schools i was honest; they'd ask future plans and i'd say "i'm here for the love of learning." not necessarily getting a primo research one university job- no apologies!

pb&j
08-11-2009, 01:15 PM
if it was a legitimate job, i'd be a professional student.

Me too! I looooooove school. I have been known to take college classes just for fun - I have never gone more than a year or two without partaking of some kind of organized schooling.

maestramommy
08-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I got my Masters in Piano Performance and Pedagogy, which would qualify me for performing and teaching. But I got bored with private lessons, so I got my teaching credential, did student teaching with a bang up pair of mentors, and ended up teaching beginning strings and orchestra.

smiles33
08-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Interesting thread! I earned my BA in Communication Studies at UCLA because I wanted to go into journalism but UCLA didn't have a journalism dept. After a fascinating policy internship in DC the summer before my junior year, I did an about-face and decided to go to law school so I could work in policy. All my mentors had told me law school would be better/more marketable than policy school (including a woman who was an MPP grad). Sadly, I hated law school and it was a miserable experience. I ended up graduating and running a nonprofit instead of doing law. Enjoyed that immensely, but after getting married and wanting to start a family, I needed something more family-friendly (i.e., got sick of the frequent evening and weekend "schmoozing" engagements) so I moved into law school administration (think student services--I counsel law students who want to go into public service). I love my job now as it's both personally and professionally fulfilling, yet also has predictable hours and allows me to balance family, too. There's a very low likelihood that they'd hire a non-JD for my position, so it's definitely not like I'm wasting my degree. Yet I think very few law students envision a career in student services. I certainly didn't!

On a side note, elektra--I took tons of classes outside of the Comm dept. and enjoyed my Sociology ones more than many of my English, Psych, History, or Comm classes! I never realized athletes were encouraged to be Soc majors--there's a LOT of writing involved and I would think they would prefer multiple choice exams (easier to study for, right?).

DietCokeLover
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I've got a BA in Psychology and a BA in Sociology.

Then, I went and got a MA in Marriage and Family Therapy. I worked for 10+ years doing child and family therapy, with a specialization in child abuse treatment and children ages 5 and under.

Now, I am a SAHM to my two toddlers, while also sharing the responsibility with my husband of owning and running a motel.

I sometimes miss doing therapy, but am very glad to be home with my babies.

egoldber
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
I have a BA in Math and a minor in English. I also have an MS in Statistics.

I worked for several years as a statistician, then as a functional manager, and then project management. I am now working again as a statistician.

MommyofAmaya
08-11-2009, 01:36 PM
Interesting thread! Sadly, I hated law school and it was a miserable experience. I ended up graduating and running a nonprofit instead of doing law. Enjoyed that immensely, but after getting married and wanting to start a family, I needed something more family-friendly (i.e., got sick of the frequent evening and weekend "schmoozing" engagements) so I moved into law school administration (think student services--I counsel law students who want to go into public service). I love my job now as it's both personally and professionally fulfilling, yet also has predictable hours and allows me to balance family, too. There's a very low likelihood that they'd hire a non-JD for my position, so it's definitely not like I'm wasting my degree. Yet I think very few law students envision a career in student services. I certainly didn't!

Wow, you are so lucky to have found a fulfilling career in which you actually get to use your degree. I also have a law degree and was miserable both in law school and practicing immigration/family law. I will be a SAHM until both kids are in school, and am trying to figure out what to do with my life all over again. I'm considering getting a Financial Analyst certification and counseling families about their finances, developing budgets, etc. but I haven't figured out whether there is a market for it or not. DH and I were looking for the services of a CFA a couple of years ago and couldn't find a "family friendly" one anywhere.

justlearning
08-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Education: PhD in Communication, MS in Marital and Family Therapy

Work Experience: Taught college courses for 8 years, served as college administrator for 2 years, also worked as therapist, researcher, etc. during grad school

Now: I've been a stay-at-home mom since our first child was born six years ago. I was hired two years ago to be an adjunct professor at a local college but had to back out of it a week later when our son was diagnosed with cancer. Two months ago I became a volunteer therapist at our church and currently work with individuals or couples one night a week.

KpbS
08-11-2009, 01:44 PM
I have a BS in Science (Bio-Chem-Physical) and a minor in Psych/ Art (can't remember which!). I am an attorney now (JD) but not practicing. I am at home full-time and glad to be here-most of the time ;)

niccig
08-11-2009, 01:50 PM
BA in Liberal Arts, I majored in History and Japanese. I was actually doing a double degree in Law/Arts. Law School in Australia is undergraduate level. I was 18 and first college class was Contract Law. Took me 2 years to work out I was not going to practice, so I ditched Law and finished up my Arts degree with an extra Honours year - you write a thesis to get Honours. I then did MLIS to be a librarian, and the only job going was to be a Law Librarian, so I was back in the Law School for several years both in Australia and at UCLA. I finally extricated myself when DS was born.

I've been volunteering with an archaeologist doing her research, and I would love to go back and do PhD in Human Osteology. I love the study/class side, don't live the academic life side sooo much. I think all the law professors I've worked with over the years have jaded me. I'm hoping to wangle my volunteer work into a job at the museum. I may go back and do MA in Museum Studies concentrating on education technology do to do online exhibits etc. I have applied at a local college to be a librarian to work on their online courses, so that's another option.

elliput
08-11-2009, 01:51 PM
I studied Vocal Music Performance (Opera). Didn't quite finish my degree though. All of my "work" has been in accounting/finance/purchasing mostly for tier 1 automotive suppliers or computer software companies. Now I am a SAHM.

AnnieW625
08-11-2009, 02:04 PM
I went to San Diego State and have a BA in Telecommunications and Film. I graduated in 1999 when it was almost as tough as it is now to get a job unless you wanted to work in the computer industry. The telecommunications name in my degree is really misleading and when I graduated anything dealing with telecommunications meant telephone and other network systems. I knew nothing about telephone systems. Could run a real to real machine okay, but not a network system. I thought about moving to LA to work in the studio movie or TV system but was very concerned about making a living that didn't require me to have two jobs. So unfortunately now I do not use my degree, but honestly I am still very glad I studied that subject because it was what interested me, not what was going to make me the most $$$ once I graduated.

I have been a state of California employee since before I graduated from college. I started out working as a student assistant in the home loan department of the CA State VA (not the feds) and then ended up getting a full time position doing that. I loved that job so much because I was always helping people who really wanted and or needed a home. The 2003 budget screwed the program employees over though and threatened us with layoff notices (thankfully it never happened) so I ended up having to go to another state job with State Fund (the state owned workers comp company) which is where I work now. Not quite as rewarding as the other job in satisfaction wise but it's a challenge and it keeps me on my toes. One huge thing for me is that there are people from all schools and different majors who do my job, most of them business or math and I didn't take a single business class until after I graduated from college (real estate finance).:) My MIL and SIL are convinced you won't go anywhere without a business degree; I have been doing this long enough now that I am qualified to be an auditor if a position ever opens up:bighand:

KathyN115
08-11-2009, 02:14 PM
I have a BS in Biology, and worked for 2 years as a Research Assistant at a Medical Device company (yawn!).

I then went to grad school and got my MS in Physician Assistant Studies. I worked as a Surgical PA for six years, until the birth of DD. During the delivery, I sustained an injury to my right hip and lower back, and I haven't been able to go back to work:crying:. So I am a reluctant SAHM, and (unfortunately) a professional patient. If I ever get well enough to work, I don't think I will be able to return to my former career, after being out of the loop for so long. I don't know what else I would do though. Ugh!

elektra
08-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Interesting thread! I earned my BA in Communication Studies at UCLA because I wanted to go into journalism but UCLA didn't have a journalism dept. After a fascinating policy internship in DC the summer before my junior year, I did an about-face and decided to go to law school so I could work in policy. All my mentors had told me law school would be better/more marketable than policy school (including a woman who was an MPP grad). Sadly, I hated law school and it was a miserable experience. I ended up graduating and running a nonprofit instead of doing law. Enjoyed that immensely, but after getting married and wanting to start a family, I needed something more family-friendly (i.e., got sick of the frequent evening and weekend "schmoozing" engagements) so I moved into law school administration (think student services--I counsel law students who want to go into public service). I love my job now as it's both personally and professionally fulfilling, yet also has predictable hours and allows me to balance family, too. There's a very low likelihood that they'd hire a non-JD for my position, so it's definitely not like I'm wasting my degree. Yet I think very few law students envision a career in student services. I certainly didn't!

On a side note, elektra--I took tons of classes outside of the Comm dept. and enjoyed my Sociology ones more than many of my English, Psych, History, or Comm classes! I never realized athletes were encouraged to be Soc majors--there's a LOT of writing involved and I would think they would prefer multiple choice exams (easier to study for, right?).

True, there were a lot of interesting Soc. classes. Sociology of Medicine is one that really sticks out for me now that I think about it. That and Social Psychology.
But I loved the Comm classes. smiles33-Did you ever take a Marti Gregory class? My brother ended up majoring in Comm at UCLA and became a sports agent after ditching law school.
And yes Soc had a good bit of writing but couple that with the ESS1 (aka Rocks for Jocks) multiple choice type classes and you get a combo that leads to a graduation. :)
I actually tutored ESS 1 to younger athletes in my senior year. I am always shouting out, "hey I tutored that guy!" while watching NFL games.
And Comm may have been a slightly better fit for my Marketing stuff now. But UCLA doesn't have alot of specific majors- it's all very general (History, Comm, Education) etc. as opposed to "Early Childhood Development" or "Sports and Leisure Studies" that I have seen at other schools..

elektra
08-11-2009, 02:25 PM
BA in Liberal Arts, I majored in History and Japanese.
Japanese? Wow!

AngelaS
08-11-2009, 03:05 PM
I have a BS in Child and Family Services which means I took a lot of child development and early childhood education classes.

Before kids I nannied for a pediatrician's kids for 7 years. I learned a lot.

Now, I'm a full time homeschooling mom. I totally do not teach the way I was taught to in college. :P I like phonics--not whole language! :D

ellies mom
08-11-2009, 03:14 PM
I have an electronics degree with an emphasis in digital systems (as compared to communications). Pre-baby, I was an equipment tech in the semi-conductor industry. I used to fix the machines that make computer chips.

I was laid off while pregnant with Ellie. I stayed home for a few years and then went back to school with retraining benefits. Now I'm a third of the way through nursing school.

thomma
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
I have a BS in Elem Ed and have been teaching for 18 years. I always wanted to be a teacher while growing up and I love my job.

Kim
ds&dd -6!

AnnieW625
08-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Forgot to add that I got a minor in sociology. My two favorite classes were Wealth, Status, and Power, and Sociology of Medicine. Love, Jealousy, and Envy was a close third. I really also liked my criminal sociology class, but I couldn't fit more CJ classes into my schedule because they were either impacted, at night and for 3 hours, and or conflicted with my other classes.

I almost applied to UCLA to transfer from Sac State but it would've been a pain because I was a mid semester transfer and since UCLA didn't accept winter quarter transfers I would've been out of school for 12 weeks or so, plus the TV school didn't take transfer applications except at the fall quarter so I would've had to apply as undeclared and get in that way. Too much hassle IMHO! The UC schools have always been somewhat limited in what schools offer what majors. I have a friend who is a UCLA grad and a CPA, but she has her major in sociology because UCLA doesn't offer an accounting major. She was able to take all or most of her CPA level accounting classes there in the business department, but couldn't have an actual accounting degree. Same thing with mechanical engineering my Grandpa was an ME major but had to transfer to Cal to finish up his degree there because he didn't want to do electrical. I think the system was designed that way on purpose to spread out enrollment over the different campuses.

arivecchi
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
BA in International Relations and French Lit. and a JD. Now a commercial banking lawyer.

MichelleRC
08-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Bachelor's in Journalism from NYU. I indirectly used it when I worked in TV commercial production for a few years. Now, in addition to my retail business, I have gone back as a teacher's assistant in pre-k at my kids school. When I started subbing last year, my mom said, "I knew you should have gone for teaching when you started college". Well, if I knew 21 years ago, what I know now...:)

gatorsmom
08-11-2009, 05:26 PM
BA in Psychology, Minor in Business (also minored in French because I took so many classes.) I practiced Human Resources for 2 companies before I became a SAHM.

jenmcadams
08-11-2009, 06:05 PM
BA - Biology and Mathematics (Claremont McKena College)
MBA - Decision Sciences (Math/Stats), Marketing, and Finance (Kellogg School at Northwestern)

I graduated from college in 1994 and was able to do research throughout undergrad (during summers and Xmas breaks) for the Human Genome Project at Lawrence Livermore National Labs ... very cool experience, but it convinced me I didn't want a career as a research scientist. I went back to school senior year kind of discouraged until I realized I had just an unusual enough major that I was able to get interviews with all of the major consulting firms. Ended up with a couple of offers and chose to work in the consulting arm of one of (what was then) the Big 6 because they promised to rotate me through different industry/practice groups. I worked with a variety of clients including defense contractors, financial services, health care companies and even an electric vehicle concern. Ended up getting into my 1st choice business school and went as a sponsored full time student. By mid-way through year 1, I knew I didn't want to go back to being a consultant with all the travel/stress so I started pursuing start-ups and tech companies. After Kellogg (and after paying back my firm b/c I wasn't returning), I ended up joining a small ecommerce company based in Denver b/c we wanted to move to Denver and I worked there for three years until I had my first kid seven years ago.

I used to do a fair amount of part-time consulting (everything from marketing to financial projections to operations to strategy work) for small venture capital backed start-ups, but once my son was born 4 years ago I stopped that too.

Now, I'm pretty much a SAHM who does a fair amount of volunteer work. I may go back to doing part-time consulting at some point, but I'm not sure when...

Cam&Clay
08-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I have a BS in Psychology and Elementary/Middle Education. I taught elementary school for 12 years. I got my MLS in 2005 and just last year started working as a librarian in an elementary school. I absolutely love it and wish I had done it from the beginning. My teaching experience, however, makes me a better librarian, I think.

tylersmama
08-11-2009, 06:17 PM
I have bachelor's degrees in Athletic Training and Health Appraisal (health appraisal was only an extra 3 classes over athletic training, so why not?!). Got my board-certification after graduating undergrad and then got a graduate assistant position as an athletic trainer where I got my M.Ed in Health Promotion and Education with an exercise science emphasis. I worked as a certified athletic trainer in the high school setting (also some work in physical therapy clinics) for nearly 10 years before staying home with DS. I was pretty burnt out on the crappy hours and crappy pay, even before having DS, so when it became clear that I was going to have to go back to work, I started looking around for something else that's a little more suitable to being a single mom. So, I'm (re)taking pre-reqs so I can apply to nursing school to start next summer.

cvanbrunt
08-11-2009, 06:53 PM
BS in psychology and biology (French and theology minors).
PhD in Psychology (Neuroscience). I'm not a clinician (no people), I'm an experimental psychologist. I teach at liberal arts college in the psych and neuroscience programs. This year I'm on sabbatical (yay) and working in a neuroscience lab at a pharma company. Usually love my job (an all around good gig) but was ready for sabbatical.

misshollygolightly
08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Interesting thread!

Majored in English/minored in philosophy as an undergrad
Am currently working on my English PhD. I've passed my exams, so assuming I can successfully defend my dissertation proposal on Sept. 3 (and believe me, I'll be asking for lots of P and PT around that time!), I'll be ABD!

Hope to finish up this degree and start teaching English at the university-level. It's been my lifelong dream :love5:

kdeunc
08-11-2009, 07:36 PM
I have a BA in Political Science and Sociology. After college I worked in sports, college then minor league baseball for several years. I decided that I needed to leave that field if I ever planned on getting married and having a family. Since then I have worked at several nonprofits. Currently I work very part time running a small health education foundation and mostly work running my crazy household! :) I have considered going back to school to get my Masters in Public Administration. I really think I will continue to work for nonprofit organizations in the future.

lil_acorn
08-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Bachelors degree in Mechanical engineering but now I'm a program manager.

vludmilla
08-11-2009, 08:10 PM
BA in political science/psychology
MA in school psychology
CAS in school psychology
PsyD in psychology (not finished with this yet, I'm ABD)
Working as a school psych but I used to work with adults with serious mental illness in a not for profit clinic where I was a program director.

kijip
08-11-2009, 09:07 PM
Business/Economics with a lot of math.

I work in non-profit management/fund-raising.

KrisM
08-11-2009, 09:17 PM
I have BS degrees in Mechanical Engineering and Metallurgical Engineering and a MS in Mechanical Engineering.

I worked as a Noise and Vibration engineer for 7 years before DS1. I'm a SAHM now.

3blackcats
08-11-2009, 09:25 PM
MaEd Adult Education with focus on Instructional Technology
BS Computer Science

I am currently working at home, but want to go down to part time. I would love to teach. So if anyone is looking for an instructor let me know ;-)

gobadgers
08-11-2009, 09:36 PM
This thread is so interesting to read! There is quite a variety on this board.

I have a BS in Chemical Engineering and had a job related to my degree for ~9 years before staying home when DD was born. I liked the work, but then again I haven't looked back.

carolinamama
08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a BS in Business, concentrations in Marketing and HR. I worked in HR for 3 years before returning to school and got my BSN (Nursing). Currently, I am working part-time as an ICU nurse. But I am starting to itch to go back to school. Not sure if I will just take classes for the experience or try to get my Masters in something healthcare-related such as NP, PA, or the like so that I can further my career when I'm not in SAH mommy-mode.

stella
08-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm a lawyer. I work as an Assistant DA prosecuting felonies. I majored in English.

C99
08-11-2009, 10:26 PM
I have a B.A. in Political Science (International Relations). I have never worked in the field, but have always worked in some form of communications/writing - first in financial communications, then in web content and marcom. Now I work in sales proposal writing and love it.

HIU8
08-11-2009, 11:06 PM
MA in Knesiology. I worked in the fitness field for awhile. Then I switched to association work, then to marketing. Right now I'm a pt sahm and a pt wahm doing marketing for hire.

mctlaw
08-11-2009, 11:37 PM
I'm a lawyer working for an insurance company. Before law school I majored in visual arts. I found those fields of study really compatible.;)

elephantmeg
08-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I think I'm boring. BS in Nursing with a French minor. Peds nurse for 7 years now I'm a part time everything: nursing coordinator, IV therapist, float pool nurse and peds. Never wanted to be anything but a nurse. My secret ambition though is to teach either nursing or be a clinical educator-love working with staff development kinds of things.

mommyp
08-12-2009, 12:03 AM
BSc and PhD in Biochemistry. I'm currently a part-time SAHM and I teach university-level chemistry part-time.

Nooknookmom
08-12-2009, 12:26 AM
AA in business. I WAS a psych major/business minor but life got in the way & I never quite finished up everything I started out to do! I got married at 20 and moved across the country, I still have 18 months to go to finish up that bachelors.

I ended up working in human resources and management in the construction field until the last company I worked for went out of buisiness. I absolutely **hated** sitting at a desk & dealing with all of the office politics, so I got my contractor's license and went into business with DH (we own a painting company). I worked part time as a preschool teacher (took my ECE classes as well) and loved it but unless you're a director the pay is prettly slim.

A few years back, I got hurt on the job (fell 20 feet) while perfecting some woodwork. I broke my leg and really jacked up my back. So, I push the paperwork and occasionally go on a bid.

It really stinks b/c there are so many things I want to do but I can't sit/stand very long. I have always wanted to finish up my psych degree and get my MFT or go to law school.

As old as I am I better get going b/c at this rate I'll be carpooling w/ my now 2 year old!~

PS: boy am I feeling under-educated on this board!!!

bigpassport
08-12-2009, 12:26 AM
B.A. in English Lit.
J.D.--I loved law school.
Have been a practicing attorney since graduating from law school. Now l am looking for a FUN way to make money as a SAHM (until then I'll continue to practice law part time).

lchang25000
08-12-2009, 12:36 AM
I am a registered nurse with a bachelor's in nursing degree. I worked in the cardiac ICU for several years before retiring to be a SAHM. I met my hubby in the hospital where we worked. =)

niccig
08-12-2009, 12:40 AM
PS: boy am I feeling under-educated on this board!!!

Letters after your name isn't everything. My BIL didn't go to college for number of reasons. He did his apprenticeship and has worked his way up through a big company. And he's smarter than my sister, who has her PhD.

gatorsmom
08-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Letters after your name isn't everything. My BIL didn't go to college for number of reasons. He did his apprenticeship and has worked his way up through a big company. And he's smarter than my sister, who has her PhD.

Yep, I totally agree. My uncle built a multimillion dollar company with an 8th grade education. Definitely a smart dude.

tylersmama
08-12-2009, 12:55 AM
And to add to that, I have a *bunch* of letters and they don't do diddly-squat as far as getting a job that pays well and has decent hours!

Nooknookmom
08-12-2009, 01:05 AM
Thanks guys, I feel better. I *really* beat myself up over not finishing my degree(s). I think a lot of it has to do w/ my Mom constantly reminding me how smart my cousins are who attended Carnegie Mellon.

You're right, titles aren't everything, life experience counts as well!!

Thanks again :)

AnnieW625
08-12-2009, 02:02 AM

Agree 100%. The President of our company started working in the insurance business not long after she got her AA. She did soo well in the business that she ended up not getting a BA or BS and just getting an MBA from the University of Denver. She is now the President of (what I believe is) the largest insurance company headquartered in California.

jenmcadams
08-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Agree 100%. The President of our company started working in the insurance business not long after she got her AA. She did soo well in the business that she ended up not getting a BA or BS and just getting an MBA from the University of Denver. She is now the President of (what I believe is) the largest insurance company headquartered in California.

I love hearing these stories...as someone with a lot of letters and some prestigious job experiences, I really feel happiest/most fulfilled being a SAHM. If we ever needed me to go back to work, I'd do it, but for now I don't ever plan on going back. So, nooknookmom, take heart that at least you're not paying back massive loans for something you no longer use :) I've always liked your posts on here and you're obviously very bright...degrees don't mean everything

mommylamb
08-12-2009, 09:32 AM

Totally agree. I have my MS and work in the field in which I got my MS, and yet I don't think I learned anything in grad school that actually applies to the work I do. It's really all about learning on the job. The best thing I got out of grad school was meeting DH. He has an MS also (International Relations) and it isn't at all relevant to his job.

pinkmomagain
08-12-2009, 09:38 AM
BA in English and MBA in Marketing. Worked in Advertising/Marketing for about 10 years. And have been a SAHM for 10 years. My degrees help me now in that I volunteer to do publicity for dd3's nursery school. I also am helping my dh start his own Marketing consulting business. Lots and lots of editing of blogs, promotional stuff, etc. It helps that I can really understand and talk to my dh about work (we actually met getting our MBAs).

That said, I adore going to school. As pp mentioned, I too can easily be a professional student -- so many subjects facinate me. I love researching and writing papers, etc. I am considering going back to school possibly for Masters in Social Work. We shall see...

MommyofAmaya
08-12-2009, 09:45 AM
So, nooknookmom, take heart that at least you're not paying back massive loans for something you no longer use :)

:yeahthat: I wish daily that they had a "buy back" program for the "letters" after my name. I have no choice but to go back to work eventually in order to pay back the massive student loans I incurred (and live in debt until then). If I were to do it over again, I would stop at a B.A. and possibly get a graduate degree AFTER the kids were in school. I am conflicted about whether, when the time comes, to encourage my daughter to achieve all of her educational goals before she considers a family of her own.

Andi98989
08-12-2009, 09:57 AM
I have a BS of Paralegal Studies. During my first year of college I started working at a law firm which specializes in intellectual property law (patents, trademarks, copyrights) as an administrative assistant. Once I graduated, I continued to work there, but now as a paralegal. Currently I manage our litigation practice and also do patent work.

I had thought about going to school for engineering instead of paralegal, so this is a really good fit for me. To practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office on the patent side of things, you need to take a bar exam that they issue and to qualify for that, you need an engineering undergrad (or enough engineering courses to basically be the equivalent).

We actually have 5 engineers on staff who work with our attorneys, and they're all women, which I think is pretty cool.

ladysoapmaker
08-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Getting pregnant with my DS @ age 25 was what sent me back to school. 7 years later with a new hubby and a total of 4 kids, I have a BS in Mechanical Engineering.

Prior to having my son I was a call center phone monkey. (along with various other customer service jobs). I like being a college graduate.

This fall I will be going back to get my MS in Clean and Renewable Energy.

smilequeen
08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
I have a BS in Biology (specifically cell/molecular bio and genetics)
I have a DDS from Northwestern

I worked full time until DS was born. I've been a p/t dentist since then. Did private practice until he was a year and hated it (liked it before, but it wasn't worth leaving him for). I didn't want to quit all together, so I've been doing part time work with low income kids...a lot of OR time. I have REALLY loved it.

I'm switching gears now back into private practice with DH (he is the VP of a management company, so he only works pt in the office and I can pick up the rest). It's only 5 minutes from home and the boys are old enough for Montessori preschool now. We are moving back to my hometown too, so we can have grandparents around when we decide to go for #3.

arivecchi
08-12-2009, 11:07 AM
The best thing I got out of grad school was meeting DH. LOL. Same thing happened to me. I did not like law school AT ALL, but I met my hubby there, so I guess it was worth it in a strange way!

KpbS
08-12-2009, 11:16 AM
LOL. Same thing happened to me. I did not like law school AT ALL, but I met my hubby there, so I guess it was worth it in a strange way!

:yeahthat: :)

ewpmsw
08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Social Work: BSW, MSW. Worked as a Clinical Social Worker in a forensic psychiatric hospital until just before DD was born. For now, I'm a SAHM. LOVED my job. Miss the challenges and problem-solving and patients. Don't miss the drama amongst the crazy staff.

Nooknookmom
08-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I love hearing these stories...as someone with a lot of letters and some prestigious job experiences, I really feel happiest/most fulfilled being a SAHM. If we ever needed me to go back to work, I'd do it, but for now I don't ever plan on going back. So, nooknookmom, take heart that at least you're not paying back massive loans for something you no longer use :) I've always liked your posts on here and you're obviously very bright...degrees don't mean everything

Awww, just saw this now, THANK YOU! You all have lifted my spirits!

JenaW
08-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I have a BS in Biology, and worked for 2 years as a Research Assistant at a Medical Device company (yawn!).

I then went to grad school and got my MS in Physician Assistant Studies. I worked as a Surgical PA for six years, until the birth of DD. During the delivery, I sustained an injury to my right hip and lower back, and I haven't been able to go back to work:crying:. So I am a reluctant SAHM, and (unfortunately) a professional patient. If I ever get well enough to work, I don't think I will be able to return to my former career, after being out of the loop for so long. I don't know what else I would do though. Ugh!

Hey, another PA! I have a Bachelors in Health and Society (basically the BA version of an Masters in Public Health) and then went to grad school and became a PA. I worked full time in OBGYN until my DS was born (now 6) and part-time until my water broke at 22 weeks pregnant with #3 (now almost 4). I have not worked since, and miss it horribly. I have entertained several possible returns to work, and definitely will when the right opportunity arises. My own OBGYN is always trying to get me to come back to L&D at his hospital, and if the chief PA and hospital staff could just get their act together, I certainly would. As much as I love being a SAMH (MOST of the time), I think I was a really good PA too, and hate the fact that I often feel like I am wasting my education. I have tried hard to keep my knowledge-base current, although I hate to think how rusty my clinical skills have become. We'll see if I ever get the chance to put them to use again. In my perfect world, I would do 1 12h or 24h shift on labor and delivery a week, or 3-5 a month, preferably when DH could be home all or part of the time. I figure when it is meant to happen, it will.

citymama
08-14-2009, 06:04 PM
This fall I will be going back to get my MS in Clean and Renewable Energy.

:bighand: Awesome!