PDA

View Full Version : Do any of your children have a FB page?

scmama
08-11-2009, 03:53 PM
A friend of mine started a facebook page for her 5 month old daughter. She asked why I don't have one for my son and I was .... "umm, he's a baby?" I'm super strict and cautious with the internet concerning my privacy and posting pictures of my son, but that's just me. I was just wondering if this is something that people do (give their infants a fb page). I would never have even thought to have one for DS. I was just wondering what everyone here on the boards thought about this. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's weird.

ETA: I agree that if you make everything private on fb, it's a great way to keep in touch with friends and family. I think with what threw me off was that the "baby" is posting comments, jokes, etc on everyone's pages. I also know my friend really isn't concerned with internet security.

geochick
08-11-2009, 04:19 PM
If the settings are set appropriately on Facebook, you can make a page totally private, and use it to upload photos of the kid for grandparents and trusted aunts and uncles. You can use it for party invites and updates. It's not much different from uploading to a photo-sharing site and giving out the password to trusted friends and families.

Do I have one for my kids? No. Do I think Facebook CAN be harmless. Yes. Would I let me young kids on the internet? Not without me.

If your friend is careful, I think it's fine. It's not like she's posting photos on a message board or worse.

SnuggleBuggles
08-11-2009, 04:25 PM
A friend of mine started a facebook page for her 5 month old daughter. She asked why I don't have one for my son and I was .... "umm, he's a baby?" I'm super strict and cautious with the internet concerning my privacy and posting pictures of my son, but that's just me. I was just wondering if this is something that people do (give their infants a fb page). I would never have even thought to have one for DS. I was just wondering what everyone here on the boards thought about this. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks it's weird.
:yeahthat: If the parents want to share pictures of their little ones then they can post them. Why does the baby need their own page?

I joined FB but still don't entirely trust it. I have my settings super high but it still makes me uncomfortable. I just like to be more private online (though I am sure I am quite deluded into thinking I have any internet privacy...).

Beth

geochick
08-11-2009, 04:28 PM
So what's the difference if the parents have the page or the 5 month old has the page? Obviously the parent is controlling the page no matter what.

stella
08-11-2009, 04:35 PM
um, no. I do everything I can to keep my children away from the internet.

pinkmomagain
08-11-2009, 05:22 PM
My almost 13 yo just was given permission to have one. I sat down and adjusted the privacy settings. Only friends can see her pics/postings. She is not using her full real name and no info like which school etc. You cannot find her if you do a search on fb. And most importantly dh and I are both "friends" of hers and we get to see her postings.

schums
08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Technically, the baby is not *allowed* to have a page. FB TOS specifically state that you have to be 13 AND in high school before you can have a page, regardless of whether the parent approves or not. So your friend would have had to lie on the setup page that asks for your DOB.

vonfirmath
08-12-2009, 10:07 AM
We have a group set up on Facebook for our son that grandparents, etc. can join if they want to talk about him. It didn't work so well as we'd hoped (Ie keeping it updated is a pain)

My friends' 13-year-old is on Facebook and it seems to be working pretty well so far. But they've got a computer in the living room setup. And I'm sure mom is more comfortable with this setting (and a lot of her trusted adult friends as friends of the child) than her being off on a forum somewhere.

Neatfreak
08-12-2009, 10:14 AM
My kids are way too young for FB, IMO. Maybe when DD1 is a teen we'll talk about social networking ... and the baby most definitely does not have a FB page. I think that it would annoy my friends to have DD2 "comment" on their posts.

egoldber
08-12-2009, 10:24 AM
My kids have Yahoo e-mail addresses. ;) But I only use them to maintain Amazon wish lists for them.

Sarah is getting to the point where she is on game/kid websites that have chat features available. To date we have not allowed her to use those features, but we are going to have to deal with it sooner rather than later.

But *I* don't have a FB page, so no, my kids don't. If I want to share a picture, I e-mail it or send a link to a photo sharing site like photobucket or shutterfly. I really don't get why people need FB to share photos but that's a different post.

mommylamb
08-12-2009, 10:26 AM
DS doesn't have a FB page, but I do keep a blog for him.

JBaxter
08-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Yes Nathan does but he only plays games I did it so he left my games alone :)

AnnieW625
08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
DH's cousin just made a Facebook page for their 1 month old. I don't plan on DD having one as I just post her pics on my page and keep them on the friends only setting. I think Facebook makes it easier to share pics and not have to bombard people with monthly emails since most of the people who want DD updates are on FB.

KBecks
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM
I have heard about registering web site domains to get your child's name reserved as a domain. I think that is a little expensive, but it might be useful.

I share family photos and things on my family with my network. My children do not need to network at this point. I see it as a novelty and I think it's relatively harmless to do if you use the privacy controls. But I'll wait until the kids want their own, I don't want to embarrass them by setting them up as little ones.

KBecks
08-12-2009, 11:21 AM
yes nathan does but he only plays games i did it so he left my games alone :)

lol! Lol!