PDA

View Full Version : s/o How to recycle old computer/parts

MmeSunny
08-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Since people are readily confessing how many old computers and their various components they have laying around their homes, I was wondering how to recycle some of those old ones?

Our trash people won't take them. There is a facility that does, but it's wayyy into the city and closes at 5pm so I can never make it there in time. I know Dell will take them back, but how does that work exactly?

I have one laptop and one ANCIENT desktop (Gateway) to dispose of. Also, what exactly does one have to do to erase data before recycling? What if the computer won't power up? How to erase then?

I read somewhere that you can drill through the hard drive, but isn't that dangerous? (I am a complete computer dolt, so please forgive my ignorance.) PS What does a hard drive look like, exactly??? :loveeyes:

wellyes
08-11-2009, 09:58 PM
If you have a Best Buy nearby, they'll take them. They charge $10 but give you a $10 Best Buy gift card.

I really hate the term computer recycling. Everyone uses it (nothing against you, OP! We all have old PCs to get rid of). Best Buy even has a motto "Best Buy + You. We're Greener Together". But "recycling" here = the computers are shipped off to villages in China that strip them for the tiny bits of valuable metal, then burn the rest. It is incredibly toxic. Here is a small BBC photo essay (http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/world/2002/disposable_planet/waste/chinese_workshop/default.stm) on the topic.

srhs
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Not sure if this helps, but I was surprised last week to see a large sign at my local Goodwill asking for old computers and parts.

rlu
08-11-2009, 10:42 PM
PS What does a hard drive look like, exactly??? :loveeyes:

When I worked for a hard drive manufacturer (since then it was acquired, spun off, acquired and dissolved) they were 8" disks in huge rectangular shaped pieces of equipment approximately the size of bricks (I didn't work for MiniScribe if you know the tale, I worked for the company that bought their assets, including the brick building!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

We're in a city so we have various charities asking for old computers/parts monthly. Wish I could be more help.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-11-2009, 11:44 PM
Data Doctors is a chain near us (in AZ) they take computers for recycling.

smiles33
08-11-2009, 11:57 PM
This is a long shot, but you can try Freecycle to see if any computer enthusiast/geek wants the parts. I've seen "WANTED" postings for old computers on my Freecycle but we are in Silicon Valley so there are tons of computer geeks here.