PDA

View Full Version : PTing Success!!!

DrSally
08-11-2009, 11:11 PM
So, just had to come and report back that yes, "it does eventually happen"!

DS, who is 3.5, has been working on pting in his dipes for several months, peeing about 70% on the potty (peeing in his dipe mainly when we weren't on top of telling him to go) and pooping 10% on the potty. Ironically, he's been in underwear at night for months, as he's been mostly dry at night for at least 6 months.

We recently took the plunge and went all underwear all the time. The first day, he was dry all day--very encouraging. In the 17 days following, he only had 1 pee accident. However, 17 consecutive days of pooping in his underwear, several times a day. I was on the verge of doing pullups, when I tried one last thing (changing the goal and reward structure) with some great advice of moms here!

Well, from that day on, DS had been TOTALLY dry, pee and poop for 9 days. He even goes independently now, wo/prompting. He just says, "I need to go potty" and goes, even in the store and on a weekend trip!!

This morning he didn't want to go right away when he woke up and I said, "you might pee your pants", and DS said, "I don't do that anymore!" He also said, "I don't like to go poopy in my underwear, b/c it feels yucky, poopy belongs in the potty".

The bargains I've collected for the gift closet have really come in handy, as prizes were a real motivator for getting him going on the poopy thing. DS is even forgetting to put the stickers on his chart for poopy. I also returned an unopened box of pullups to Costco today!

KrisM
08-11-2009, 11:30 PM
Yippee! Way to go! I am sure you and he are both very happy!

MNmomtobe
08-11-2009, 11:33 PM
That's wonderful Sally! We are working on potty training with DD and it's 1 step forward, 2 steps back it seems. Hopefully soon, DD will join your DS in this wonderful world of underwear. :)

elephantmeg
08-11-2009, 11:42 PM
we just had success too :) Yeah for our DS's! I know we've been struggling through this hard for a LONG time.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-11-2009, 11:42 PM
YAY! Way to go!:cheerleader1:

mommy111
08-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Yaaaayyyy!:yay:

DrSally
08-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Thanks! Someone posted once that it's a pain while it's happening (outings, etc.), but once they're pt'd it's so much easier than changing dipes, which is true!

JTsMom
08-12-2009, 12:09 AM
Go Sally! Go Sally! :boogie:

KpbS
08-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Yea! Congratulations on this milestone :)

tylersmama
08-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Hooray!!!

Wish me luck, we're forcing the issue this weekend, yikes...

Kitten007
08-12-2009, 03:03 AM
CHA CHING!!! Congrats Sally and DS!!!!!!

I see potty training starting soon in my near future..........uuuuuuuggggggghhhhhh........... May your luck rub off on me!

TonFirst
08-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Huzzah! That is awesome. Good for him, and good for you! It is so hard to stick to it, but it is SO worth it!

Melaine
08-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Wow! What a relief for you. I'm so jealous!

DrSally
08-12-2009, 08:07 AM
Good luck you guys who are starting. For us, it really helped to wait until he was a little older to take the full plunge. I mean 17 days isn't long in the scheme of things. So, hopefully your 3 yo will do it fairly quickly too, Gaye.

Just when I felt I couldn't handle another poopy accident, he started pooping on the potty, so try not to get discouraged!

DrSally
08-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Wow! What a relief for you. I'm so jealous!

I've been thinking of you, Melaine, and I'm rooting for you! Seriously, dangling a really sweet prize in front of him in the morning and showing him exactly how many stickers he needed for it was highly motivating.

Melaine
08-12-2009, 08:54 AM
I've been thinking of you, Melaine, and I'm rooting for you! Seriously, dangling a really sweet prize in front of him in the morning and showing him exactly how many stickers he needed for it was highly motivating.

Thanks! Yes, I have offered them the baby doll cradles which they seem quite interested in. They even talk about getting them after they go poop. Maybe it will make the difference to put it in the bathroom where they can see it at all times. Of course, then I have to deal with the inevitable scenario where one of them gets the cradle and the other has an emotional breakdown....we actually ran out of diapers for real over the weekend and DDs were really really upset. I broke down and bought more.

vludmilla
08-12-2009, 12:23 PM
Yay! So happy it finally came together.

frgsnlzrds
08-12-2009, 03:56 PM
Woohoo! I'm so happy to hear it all worked out for you!

We're now where you were last time you posted (pooping in underpants, except my guy likes the floor!) so I hope to follow your example!

Congratulations to your big boy!

kozachka
08-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Congratulations! The effort really does pay off :)

DrSally
08-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Woohoo! I'm so happy to hear it all worked out for you!

We're now where you were last time you posted (pooping in underpants, except my guy likes the floor!) so I hope to follow your example!

Congratulations to your big boy!

I hope you have wood floors! I actually miss my old house b/c of this--all wood floors except the bedrooms. Would've been perfect for pting.

tylersmama
08-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Well, I convinced (half-bribed/half-threatened) DS to *sit* on the potty for all of about 5 seconds tonight. He insisted it was SCARY. Sigh.

DrSally
08-12-2009, 11:23 PM
"Scary"?! Oh boy. I actually think there's nothing like being in underwear to give real world motivation though.

ETA: Now that DS is PT'd, suddenly I feel qualified to give out pting advice :shrug:"

tylersmama
08-12-2009, 11:29 PM
LOL. I'll take it anywhere I can get it!

Sunday morning, the diapers are disappearing...he's not gonna have a choice. :p

DrSally
08-12-2009, 11:32 PM
LOL. I'll take it anywhere I can get it!

Sunday morning, the diapers are disappearing...he's not gonna have a choice. :p

Good luck!

frgsnlzrds
08-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I hope you have wood floors! I actually miss my old house b/c of this--all wood floors except the bedrooms. Would've been perfect for pting.

Nope, gray carpet. I've been spending so much money lately renting a carpet cleaner I should just go out and buy one!

mom2224
08-13-2009, 03:10 PM
Success! That's great. I've followed most of your threads about it and have a question. What finally worked? I know at a time you were doing a prize for staying dry and then did you switch to a sticker for poop, then a prize for X stickers? If you have time, elaborate on your goal and reward structure. Thanks Dr. Sally.

DrSally
08-13-2009, 09:54 PM
Success! That's great. I've followed most of your threads about it and have a question. What finally worked? I know at a time you were doing a prize for staying dry and then did you switch to a sticker for poop, then a prize for X stickers? If you have time, elaborate on your goal and reward structure. Thanks Dr. Sally.

Happy to. The idea to go back to stickers for each poop was JT's mom's idea. It is really great, b/c then you can celebrate each success and ignore the accidents. Much better for the positive reinforcement factor. The immediate reinforcement for each poop--celebration, clapping, sticker, etc. are very helpful. Working toward a goal (prize) and seeing visible progress on the sticker chart is also very motivating. I got some small charts at Lakeshore learning. I just kept the chart either in the bathroom or the kitchen table, so it was always there and easy to see.

The other things that I think really helped. Start with a highly desirable prize (a crane for DS) and show it in the morning. Discuss what needs to happen for DS to get it. Put coveted prize on the kitchen table or bathroom counter as a motivator (something in a box is better so they can't take it and play with it).

Also, make the first prize quickly obtainable so they can experience an immediate success. I did 2 stickers (highlighted the squares he needed). Early success is highly motivating and builds confidence. I was able to immediately move to 3, then 4, then 5 stickers (a full row) for a prize. Funnily, he pooped the exact amount he needed for the prize that day for several days. At this point, he is forgetting to put stickers on his chart for pooping b/c it is becoming so natural. I hope to phase out the prizes soon. I'll have to think of a grand finale to celebrate and mark the end of the prize train.

DS was seriously so excited for his prizes and working toward a goal. I used a lot of clearance items from the gift closet--nothing over $10, and mostly under $5. Worth it to me to get this thing going.

Seriously, when I implemented this system, he went from pooping 100% in his underwear, to not having another accident. For him, he was physically ready, just needed the motivation/learning, so I think that's why this worked so well.

billysmommy
08-13-2009, 10:19 PM
:yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Wife_and_mommy
08-13-2009, 10:46 PM
:cheerleader1::cheerleader1::cheerleader1: