PDA

View Full Version : Carrier for heavy/older child

sweetsoul99
08-12-2009, 12:49 AM
So my 7 month old has outgrown the Snugli, and since we're moving to a large city with a 2 year old I would like to still have the option of carrying her so as to avoid the double stroller. Problem is she's already 19 lbs....we'll be moving when she's about a year old, she will probably be 23-25 lbs then. I'm seriously thinking of totting her around in a small back pack carrier. Can anyone suggest a carrier that will allow me to carry a larger/heavier child?

p.s.-she HATES facing me, rejected it at just 6 weeks old. I'm hoping she will be fine with being strapped to my back.

hobie
08-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Yes, you can totally carry your baby on your back! And at 7 mo, your DD may even like to face in on your front (my DS didn't like it for the first few months, because it put him too close to the milk factory, once he got taller, he was fine with it). There are lots of great carriers...it sounds like you'd like a soft structured carrier, like ergo, toddler patapum, or a calyx (but not a frame carriers...those beasts are way too big and heavy for everyday use). I still carry my 30lb DS in a chunei on my back, although he prefers my front.

vahnessuh
08-12-2009, 03:57 AM
Go for a Pikkolo. It will give you better choices in how to carry your child. With it you can do (aside from facing in) facing out, backpack and hip carry. That way, if she fuses when you backpack carry her, you have other options. I think it goes up to 45 lbs for the weight too.

KrisM
08-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I have a Patapum and used it to carry my 35 lbs 3 year old on my back without a problem the other week. Getting her in it was a bit of a trick, since she'll tall, but once it, the weight was fine.

KarenLud
08-12-2009, 10:46 AM
I have an ergo and love it. Although my DS is only 14 pounds at the moment, the carrier goes up to a pretty high weight limit. You can do a hip or back carry instead of the front if your LO doesn't like it. Check out http://www.thebabywearer.com

Tons of great info and there is a nice chart to compare different types of carriers to help meet your needs! GL!

lowrioh
08-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Another Ergo lover here. I use it for a front and back carrier for my 1 year old who weighs at least 27 lbs and it is very comfortable. I have a beco and it hurts my back so I'll probably end up selling it. From what I've read, smaller people don't like the Ergo as much as taller people.
Another advantage of the Ergo is that since there is very little metal in it that you can wear them through airport security. When we travelled that was a HUGE help.

vahnessuh
08-12-2009, 05:10 PM
Actually, if you go for a soft structured carrier, there aren't a lot of metal in it. The Pikkolo has absolutely no metal in it and I use it to go through the metal detector in the airports.

While our 16 month is now over 20 lbs, my husband still puts her facing out sometimes (he says his back can still take it). She loves it a lot and would be saying hi to anybody she passes on the streets.

JacksMommy
08-12-2009, 06:34 PM
Chiming in to say I think an ERGO or Pikkolo would be a great choice for this age. They are both an easy transition from the Snuggli as well!

sweetsoul99
08-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!! That narrowed my options from a bazillion to like 3! The petalum looks a bit much for my needs right now. I love the look of the PIkkolo, but read that it can be difficult to put on...is that true? I like that I could use the pikkolo for forward facing, but she's nearly 20 lbs, so I probably couldn't use that much longer anyway. The Calyx looks fairly easy to use. I'm tall, so the height issue with Ergo wouldn't be a problem.

Would anyone recommend the Calyx or Pikkolo over each other?

MomToOne
08-12-2009, 07:03 PM
I had a pikkolo, and yes I did find it difficult to put on. Also the hip carry position accentuated my mommy tummy in a way that couldn't really be hidden

FWIW I love my beco, I know the last thing you need is another carrier for a comparison sorry! But I do love it :D

krocodile
08-12-2009, 07:53 PM
I personally don't (and didn't) think that pikkolo is that difficult to get on. I think if you've used a mei tai it's the same thing. I actually had an easier time with the pikkolo than getting dd into the infant insert in the beco.

Just wanted to add that if you get the pikkolo, I would really suggest you get the support belt with it. I just added mine and it took it to a new level of comfort. http://www.naturalmomresource.com/ was offering the support belt for free with the purchase of a pikkolo, not sure if that is still the case...

Never tried a calyx so I can't help there!

vahnessuh
08-13-2009, 02:42 AM
Never tried on a Calyx before... but I didn't have any problems with the Pikkolo as well. I thought it was very easy to put on, actually. That said, it's very adjustable that you can custom fit (very easy to do too) it to your body... or whoever's using it.

athompson
08-13-2009, 08:32 AM
I love the Ergo as well and use it to carry both of my younger children (same age as your two) depending on the situation.

MmeSunny
08-13-2009, 09:16 PM
I love my Calyx. Love, love, love it! So comfy. Nothing compares to the curved straps for me. Both front and back carries are amazing.

I have a patapum and never use it. After the Calyx, there is no other for me!

That said, I am plus-sized and have very large breasts. The Calyx is the only one that doesn't smash/smoosh/rearrange them, but still provides amazing lower back support.

sweetsoul99
08-13-2009, 11:39 PM
Huh, these all seem great options. After further research the PIkkolo seems rather intimidating to put on, but I love all the options. But I'm not very coordinated, and the instructions recommend to have a spotter, something I won't always have.

The Ergo is super popular, and I figure there must be a reason for that, and it's cheaper. But I don't like how bulky it is, my baby is already so hot to carry, even in the winter time (granted I live in northern cal so it doesn't get THAT cold).

I'm really liking the Butterfly, it doesn't seem to have gotten as good of reviews as the others, but I"m not very coordinated, and have never used any other sling than the snuggli and moby. (well, tried the peanutshell and couldn't stand it).

chunei looks comfy, but must admit I think I'd be embarassed to wear an entire body "vest".

options, options, options, and I thought this was going to be easier than picking a stroller.....HA!!!!

MomToOne
08-14-2009, 12:01 AM
maybe there's a store nearby or local babywearing group that will let you try some of these carriers before buying? worth looking into I think as it is a pretty big decision :)

sweetsoul99
09-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I'd just like to say thank you to all who put in their two cents. I tried out the Beco butterfly and LOVEd it!! As a novice baby wearer, the pikkolo looked a little too intimidating, and I think the beco will be a perfect next step from my snugli. It takes a few extra steps to get them in, but I'll be more likely to use it since I won't be so afraid to put it on by myself.

hillview
09-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I like the ergo -- used it with DS #2 til he was about 33 lbs and DS #1 has even taken a ride at 40 lbs when required.
/hillary

maestramommy
09-03-2009, 09:27 PM
Ergo or Beco would be my rec. Both are great for carrying a heavier child.

vahnessuh
09-03-2009, 11:47 PM
I didn't have any problems using the Pikkolo... most of my mommy friends have it. Actually, most that have the Ergo exchanged it for the Pikkolo.