PDA

View Full Version : OT questions

HIU8
08-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Just a few questions concerning OT. DS is scheduled for an OT eval in 1.5 weeks. Meanwhile, they scheduled him for 2x a week this week and next week to get him used to the facility (so he is more relaxed during the eval). They are also scheduling OT for the fall and called me to ask if I wanted 1x or 2x a week. Now, I assume DS will have OT sessions this fall, but come on, we don't even have a diagnosis yet. Then, they were snippy with me when asked if I wanted 1x or 2x a week this fall--how should I know yet???? I don't have a diagnosis yet and no recommendation from the head of the OT program--b/c did I mention--NO Definitive Diagnosis. I don't get it. Are all OT places like this? This OT and the facility she has comes highly recommended. I guess I didn't forsee that being sent to OT meant that DS would need OT without knowing the depth of his issues--Please, let me know if I am overreacting and this is just how it works or if I should say something like "Whoa...cart before horse.). I'm new to this, and I understand that they are setting up the fall schedule, and I know they are annoyed b/c I won't pull DS out of preschool 2x a week and leave work (I get paid by the hour). So they gave me either M or F 6-7 pm.

brittone2
08-12-2009, 12:57 PM
IME, that's a bit unusual.

I don't like to question how other practices run things, but yes, it would bother me a bit if I was being pressured to choose between 1 or 2x a week before even knowing what we were dealing with based on the eval.

I worked as a PT prior to becoming a SAHM and the practices I worked in never operated that way.

JTsMom
08-12-2009, 12:58 PM
I agree, it's wrong that they are asking you now, before you have any idea, BUT I think it's awesome that they are bringing him in before the eval so he'll be comfortable. IME, little annoying things like this do come up everywhere. It's especially frustrating when you haven't really figured everything out yet. I actually had a very similar situation with DS when we started up therapy again after some time away.

I'd just play the game. I would go ahead and schedule 2X a week, then cancel if you don't need it, b/c the reverse would be a bigger problem, kwim?

brittone2
08-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I agree, it's wrong that they are asking you now, before you have any idea, BUT I think it's awesome that they are bringing him in before the eval so he'll be comfortable. IME, little annoying things like this do come up everywhere. It's especially frustrating when you haven't really figured everything out yet. I actually had a very similar situation with DS when we started up therapy again after some time away.

I'd just play the game. I would go ahead and schedule 2X a week, then cancel if you don't need it, b/c the reverse would be a bigger problem, kwim?

Agreeing w/ Lori. If it is a highly recommended place, that means a lot. It doesn't mean I agree w/ pressuring parents to decide in advance, but they may be accustomed to booking up quickly if their facility is in demand, kwim?

HIU8
08-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the insight. I took M 6-7 pm. I can call back and also take Friday 6-7 pm. They wanted him to do 2:30 on one day (he gets out at 2:30 and I can't pick him up earlier, but I could get him there by 3--they said no.).

The other issue that bugs me is that the OT that worked with him yesterday gave me a list of things to have in the house for him and out loud told us to get a trampoline (small one) for DS to exert some energy. DS of course heard her and is not begging for one. I'm of the mindset not to get any "gear" for the house until I know what we are dealing with. So now I have an upset DS who wants a trampoline just b/c the OT mentioned it. I'm going to have to tell her to talk me or put it in writing so I can discuss it with DS at the appropriate time.

egoldber
08-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I had an experience like this at an OT place here. It was very definitely an upselling environment, IYKWIM. The place I ended up using was not as bad, but it still had a bit of this element.

brittone2
08-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Have they gotten a good history from you? If you are dealing w/ potential sensory issues for example (I can't recall the reason you are looking at an OT eval), history alone is IMO a pretty good indicator of whether or not their are sensory things going on. They may just be going by intake/interview info they've gotten from the history (if you've talked w/ them about that).

eta: they aren't trying to *sell* you a trampoline, are they? Just recommending you buy one?

edited again to say I don't think it is unreasonable for you to ask her to discuss equip. recommendations with you privately or in writing rather than in front of your DS if that's important to you.

HIU8
08-12-2009, 01:31 PM
I just did a complete history yesterday, so maybe by this afternoon they have read it and have made some decisions about what they think he will need based on that--I don't know.

They are not trying to sell me a trampoline. They are suggesting I get one so DS can have a place at home where he can do heavy play (we already have a lot of the other items they suggested for DS to use at home).

DS is very much - I heard it and I want it NOW, so for that reason we don't discuss/show him things right away. I had to spend a looooong time calming DS down and letting him know that we would look into getting a trampoline but would not be getting it right this instant. He is still upset and gives me this face saying that whenever he can.

HIU8
08-12-2009, 01:50 PM
Beth, this is my very first experience with OT and this place came very highly recommended. However, I know a little boy in DS's preschool class who also is in OT. His mom and I have talked at length about it, but she never did tell me where she goes. I have to ask her b/c she is very happy with the facility. Do you know if you shop around, do they make you do an eval at each different place or can you bring your records from the previous facility?

egoldber
08-12-2009, 01:56 PM
I'm not sure. We did two evals because I was not happy with the eval done at the first place (they did not assess things I asked to be assessed, etc.). They pretty much had their own agenda and "standard" process. It also came highly recommended.

HIU8
08-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I guess I need to wait for the eval to be done and go from there. I did notice that for several hours after OT yesterday, DS was so much easier to deal with. He was able to focus, follow directions and remain calm. They did a lot of swinging, jumping and crashing yesterday which DS just loved. He basically laughed the entire session. This alone makes me wish I had looked into this sooner, but I'm glad we are pursuing it now.

brittone2
08-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Glad you saw some positive effects...that's great!

If you go somewhere else, they will do their own eval most likely. No therapist will (IME) feel 100% confident going by another therapist's evaluation (and that's my personal preference too. I need to know the kid and really get in there and do the eval to know what we are dealing with). They will likely read and be interested in the other facility's evaluation, but IME/IMO, it is highly likely they'd want to do their own. IMO that isn't about trying to run up the bill or anything...it is just almost impossible to set up goals and a treatment plan without evaluating a child first-hand.

HoustonMomof3
08-13-2009, 12:53 AM
I know they seem pushy and they probably are, but I am betting that they typically start their kids out 2x a week for 30 minutes. Most OT kids are not able to get everything fixed in 1 session a week, especially starting out. They will either get over-stimulated or over-tired by the process. Our place starts kids out 2x a week for 30 minutes. When they determine that needs have changed they will change the frequency and duration to suit the child's best interests. We switched to 1x a week for an hour and are now at 1x per week for 45 minutes. Soon we will be 1x every other week.

You will see immense improvements in your child and speaking from experience you should get the tramp. Don't punish you and your child because you are mad at the therapist. I agree she should have discussed it with you a little more privately, but my kiddos live on the trampoline and it is so effective at calming them down. I would try my hardest to take advantage of their knowledge. There are great OT sites on the web to buy stuff from if you don't want to buy from them. http://funandfunction.com/index.php is one I like.

I wish everyone could go where we go. It is a wonderful place with a super family feel. The therapists are like aunties and love the kids so much. And they do a good job of pulling the parents aside to discuss so it isn't in front of the kids.

HIU8
08-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks HoustonMomof3. I'm not mad at the therapist, just a little taken aback at how they just started without any explanation (the people who do the scheduling etc... are not the therapists). Their sessions are 2x a week, 1 hour each time (that is a standard session). That may change depending on DS's needs. I think we are going to get the trampoline, but I really want to know what the evaluation says before I go buying a bunch of stuff that we have no place to put right now. We will have to reconfigure some space properly--we don't have use of our basement for anything but storage so all toys etc.. are in our family room and living room.

JTsMom
08-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Assuming you do end up getting it, just FYI, there are some that have folding legs and a removable handle. That's actually what we ended up with. I don't leave it out all the time. DS goes through stages where he uses it a lot, and others where he doesn't.

HIU8
08-13-2009, 10:11 AM
I saw those vs. the ones that don't. DS wants to be able to jump on it and crash onto something (we were thinking of dog pillows or a futon mattress).