PDA

View Full Version : Four carseats?

mom2beofboy/girltwins
08-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I have a question for those with twins. We are currently using 2 Graco Snugrides with 4 bases ( 2 in my car and 2 in DH's). Because I'm still off of work with the babies we really haven't had them in DH's car very often. I thought we would get pretty long use out of the Snugrides becuase the twins were smaller than average. Unfortunately, it looks like they're going to exceed the height requirement (29") long before they exceed the weight - probably in the next month or so. I managed to get 2 of the Britax Marathons that Target was clearancing out last week (50% off :cheerleader1: ) so we have those when they're ready. It looks like I'll be going back to work in the next month or so and the babies will be going to the daycare at my work. My husband works shift work (24 on, 48 off) and wants to pick up or keep the kids home with him sometimes. Would you buy 2 more car seats?? It seems like it would be a hassle to keep moving the marathons. Not to mention, I doubt the day care would like me leaving those huge seats there for my husband... I guess it's normal for parents to have a car seat in both cars for their baby but with twins buying 4 seats seems ridiculous. Do any of you have 4 seats?

neeleymartin
08-12-2009, 02:12 PM
we do. we have two in my car and 2 in dh's car. so much easier, imo. i always worry about proper installation and possible wear and tear with the constant in/out.

HIU8
08-12-2009, 02:46 PM
What about getting something like 2 scenera's for your DH's car? You don't necessarily need 2 more MA's, especially if this is not for daily use. There are other seats out there like the roundabout 50 (which is basically a stripped down MA) that would be good as well.

egoldber
08-12-2009, 02:51 PM
guess it's normal for parents to have a car seat in both cars for their baby but with twins buying 4 seats seems ridiculous. Do any of you have 4 seats?

I don't have twins, but anyone with more than 1 child where both parents need to transport generally have a set of seats for each car.

Also, the 29" is just a guideline, you can use the Snugride as long as they have an inch of shell above their heads.

WatchingThemGrow
08-12-2009, 03:16 PM
Also, the 29" is just a guideline, you can use the Snugride as long as they have an inch of shell above their heads.
That's what I've always heard/read.

And I wish I had time to pull up the "how many carseats do you have?" thread. You'd fall over.

We have a full set of seats in each car, plus one in Grandma's, so 7.
As far as what to get, I can tell you that we looooooove having 3 Marathons plus one extra cover. When a child gets sick or when a seat just gets nasty on its own, it is really great to know we can pop a clean cover on it and take time to wash the soiled one the right way. If you don't have a cover, you have to take that seat out of rotation while waiting for your cover to air dry.

BeachBum
08-12-2009, 03:32 PM
DH doesn't keep the kids often on his own, so we just switch cars for the day.

traciann
08-12-2009, 03:43 PM
I just bought 2 more Marathons for my dd2 this week. We have one in each car for my
dd1 and I can't even tell you how helpful it has been. It doesn't matter who picks up dd or which car we drive. There is always a seat available. For me its worth it to spend the money for peace of mind. DD is 4 and has used the seat since she was 5 months old. I know she will use it for another year or so when you divide up the cost per year, its not as much. That is how I justify it anyway. So if you can swing it, its totally worth it.

fivi2
08-17-2009, 02:45 PM
we have always only had one set of seats for our twins, but dh drives a truck. If he needed to take them somewhere, we would just switch cars for the day. If that isn't an option, I would look into a cheaper seat for the less used car - like the scenera. We just used them on vacation, and it was fine. They are also lighter and easier for traveling than two Marathons would be, imo.

hobie
08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
For us, if is so much easier to switch cars, rather than the car seats.

bubbaray
08-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Four seats, schmore seats. At one point, I had 9 seats for 2 children (plus an infant seat, so actually had 10 seats). I gave 3 of those seats to their old daycare when we left, so now I just have 6 seats for 2 children. 2 in each of our vehicles (Monterey/Marathon & Nautilus/Marathon) and 2 spares (Radians) -- plus the (soon to be expired) infant seat.

I would definitely get spare seats. You don't have to get expensive ones -- something like a Scenara is fine & very reasonably priced.

HIU8
08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Oh good. Now I don't feel so bad with 5 seats for 2 children (2 MA in my car, 1 MA in DH car and a spare Scenera and GO for my father's car). Last March I sold our infant seat at a consignment show (it was a Safeseat that had never been in an accident). I also gave a PP PV away to our local safe kids campaign (over 2 years ago). So I guess I've had a total of 7 carseats already. And, as we all know, it doesn't end with the MA....

KrisM
08-27-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't have twins, but have 3 kids. I have 9 carseats :). I have 3 seats in my car, and 2 plus the vest in DH's. I have 3 others that aren't currently in use.

Momof3Labs
08-27-2009, 04:49 PM
For my oldest two boys, we currently have 7 seats in 4 different vehicles (DS2 never rides in one of the vehicles) - my car, DH's car, our spare car that our nanny drives and Grandma's car.

The babies only have bases in my car right now, but we'll expand that when I go back to work later this year.

Much easier to have spare seats vs. moving seats all the time - four seats for two kids is nothing, lol!

kijip
08-30-2009, 04:39 AM
No twins...but 6 seats for only 2 boys ...and we only own 1 car. Embrace 4 seats. It's cheaper than a lot of other things!