PDA

View Full Version : ISO unique baby boy gift

DrSally
08-12-2009, 11:30 PM
So, DH's coworker just had a baby boy. I searched old threads and ordered the Craft personalized baby block, and am looking for one or two more things. This person is the one who brought DH into the firm on his personal recommendation (otherwise it would've been a tough sell since DH was switching fields). He's also watched out for him along the way. In addition, they're very social people in a more upper tier income bracket. They've had tons of showers already and claim they have "everything" they need. They've prob gotten a lot of the "cool" baby items already, or will be shortly. So, the challenge is to find something unique and special--. If it were a girl, I'd get a crocheted beanie and initial shirt off Etsy. What about a boy? Should I do personalized burp cloths? If so, which seller? Anyone thing of initial onsies that are more "boyish"?

TIA for the ideas!

andbabymakes3
08-13-2009, 01:37 AM
It's not glamorous, but one thing I've found that nobody gave at my showers but I really used/enjoyed were the black and white books for newborns. I just bought a few off Amazon recently--Peter Linenthal's books and also Tana Hoban. I also have an old Lamaze toy that you hang in the crib that has black and white images on one side and colorful ones on the other and has crinkles, a mirror, etc. These things are great for newborns. You could also just get a boutique-y outfit, but I'm sure she has a lot. If it's a first child there's also classic books like the Pat the Bunny series, Goodnight Moon, etc. that you know she'll end up with eventually!

andbabymakes3
08-13-2009, 02:53 AM
Another thought: When my first was born we were given a certificate for a portrait sitting at a fancy photographer's place--you know, the kind of person who does real film prints, black and white, specializes in baby photography--that kind of thing. It forced us to go get it done, too, which was good!

kedss
08-13-2009, 07:41 AM
Hi-
If its their first, definitely some cool board books. :) Or maybe a nice journal for the mother to write in?

I love this illustrator, we found this book at our favorite used bookstore and my DD loves it. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Alphabet-Childs-First-Abc-Alison/dp/1840114142

Seitvonzu
08-13-2009, 08:08 AM
oh-- we really like alison jay :) we have "picture this" and i have a hardback version of alice in wonderland that she illustrated (lucy's 1st birthday was wonderland themed) really good illustrations!

i like the uncle goose sets of blocks. we don't have any, but do have lots of other blocks... but i'd consider them for gifts.

i was thinking about our favorite "sleepy" board books that i'd give people: goodnight moon (of course), goodnight gorilla, a child's goodnight book (another margaret wise brown book that i might like MORE than goodnight moon), and the very busy spider (eric carle). these are all books we've used while establishing good nighttime/naptime rituals. they all focus on nighttime/sleeping or rest after a busy day :) i thought it would be cool to give a whole "sleep" themed gift -- maybe a grobag sleepsack, the books, a toothbrush/toothpaste, bath stuff (maybe boutiquey toys/organic towels/washcloths)...this way you could make the gift as small (focus on books/sleepsack), or as large (extend "sleeptime" to the bath, teethbrushing, etc). if i knew the person really well i'd probably also include "healthy sleep habits, happy child" by mark weisbluth. :) Good sleep was a struggle for us and has been a gift for the WHOLE FAMILY :)

Seitvonzu
08-13-2009, 08:15 AM
oh, i just thought of something else to add to my "sleep" themed gift--- one of those turtle/ladybug nightlight dealies...i've always wanted one for lucy, but we haven't used one yet and why mess with success? i think they are SO cute though. we also had one of those light/sound show things that did work when we were travelling when she was younger. i figure we might be getting that back out when the "afraid of the dark" stage comes...it's something i would get a new baby for sure (and you can use a bed bath and beyond coupon on it...):

Sound Spa: (i found this through this board...i believe people called it "baby crack machine")
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=1464312

Twilight Sea turtle, turtle or ladybug:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14643125

okay, my gift is getting HUGE now ;)

DrSally
08-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the ideas. The b&W board books are a good idea. Not many people think of those. We have the Tana Hoban ones and like them. I'm afraid to get other books b/c, literally, I think they've gotten tons of gifts.

justincase
08-13-2009, 09:12 AM
If you want something personalized, my BFF got DD this blanket (http://www.fillintheblankie.com/?gclid=CLOYnNDaoJwCFc5L5QodZyl-eA) when she was born. It is one of those one-of-a-kind, really super cute things that is more a keepsake than something I "needed" or "use" frequently.

carolinamama
08-13-2009, 10:07 AM
I love getting anything personalized for my boys such as cute bibs, burpcloths, or blankets. A friend of mine makes them so I've never ordered from etsy but I've seen some cute ones there.

Those silver rattles are always good gifts because babies actually like them.

DrSally
08-13-2009, 10:08 AM
If you want something personalized, my BFF got DD this blanket (http://www.fillintheblankie.com/?gclid=CLOYnNDaoJwCFc5L5QodZyl-eA) when she was born. It is one of those one-of-a-kind, really super cute things that is more a keepsake than something I "needed" or "use" frequently.

Ah! We got one of these from one of my good friends for DD, but I couldn't remember the name of the company. Thanks! Maybe the Craft block, this blankie, and a book.

ETA: Ooops, love the blankie, but didn't realize the price. I'm hoping to keep it around $50 total. I need to search Etsy for something personalized.

sste
08-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Also the board book "Charlie Parker Plays Be-Bop" - - not that many people have it but its a great book and kind of a "hipster" baby book. In the more vintage side of things, my son has recently become obsessed with the Golden Book Tootle the Train - - and I think that that has retro hip appeal as well. I also think anything personalized on etsy is a great idea.

scmama
08-13-2009, 01:38 PM
oh, i just thought of something else to add to my "sleep" themed gift--- one of those turtle/ladybug nightlight dealies...i've always wanted one for lucy, but we haven't used one yet and why mess with success? i think they are SO cute though. we also had one of those light/sound show things that did work when we were travelling when she was younger. i figure we might be getting that back out when the "afraid of the dark" stage comes...it's something i would get a new baby for sure (and you can use a bed bath and beyond coupon on it...):

Sound Spa: (i found this through this board...i believe people called it "baby crack machine")
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=1464312

Twilight Sea turtle, turtle or ladybug:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14643125

okay, my gift is getting HUGE now ;)

I think this is what the pp said, but this is what a friend got me at my shower. My son LOVES it. It doesn't make any sound, but lights up and projects stars and moon on the ceiling. I turn it on at bedtime:)
http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Twilight-Sea-Turtle-Constellation/dp/B001CW7CVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250185056&sr=8-1

wallawala
08-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Check out the "Swaddle designs" blankets and burp cloths. Available online or your nearby boutique baby store likely has them and can monogram them for you. LOVE how large and SOFT they are, they get better with every wash, and have cute retro designs. I didn't think blankets were so different, and didn't register for these... but recieved as a gift from a family member. Have since bought multiple as well as the burp cloths. They're expensive (so has that appeal for those that care), but totally worth it.

As I first time (OCD) mom, I really appreciated getting things off the registry as I'd researched a ton and knew what I wanted (also I had left off things that we already had or knew we didn't have space for). Most of the "special" gifts made me feel a little guilty as I knew the gifter had put a lot of heart and effort into selecting something special, but that we already had more than plenty of or didn't have room to store in our tiny house.

One of my all-time favorite gifts was a bag of "favorite products" from a close friend and also recent new mom. These were things had found she really liked for her child. (Soothies pacifiers, a SnackTrap, her daughter's favorite CD and bedtime book) She also included an element off my registry (Pottery Barn hooded towels--so awesome), and a box of supercute thank you notes. The thank you notes might easily be mis-interpreted.... but I found it was a godsend!!! The gift included what I thought I needed (the registry item), what she thought I needed, and what I really needed (the thankyou notes)... it was awesome!

mommylamb
08-13-2009, 03:28 PM
What about the "My Very Own Name" book? http://www.iseeme.com/oriveownna.html Personalized book just for that kid. My DS loves looking at the letters in his name.

DrSally
08-13-2009, 09:15 PM
What about the "My Very Own Name" book? http://www.iseeme.com/oriveownna.html Personalized book just for that kid. My DS loves looking at the letters in his name.

We got one of those from a friend for DS. I thought that would be a good idea, but I fear they already have one. As for the registry thing pp mentioned. I searched and they aren't on the usual registries. My guess is that they're registered at some hip baby boutique in NYC.

cuca_
08-13-2009, 09:23 PM
My cousin and his wife gave us personalized Land's End Boat Totes (the largest size) when both DD1 and DD2 were born. This has probably been the most useful and long lasting baby gift we have gotten. We use them all the time. The one they sent for DD2 has a zipper, and I like it better. We use them when we are going out for the whole day and need changes of clothing for the kids, for the beach, for traveling, etc...