PDA

View Full Version : Mommy-I want to learn how to ride a horse.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-13-2009, 12:42 AM
This was dd1's response last night when I asked her if she wanted to learn how to do anything. I thought she would say swimming lessons or maybe some gymnastics but NOOOOO. She just had to come up with HORSEBACK RIDING. I looked for our area it's about $45-$50 per lesson if you don't have your own horse.

The thing is that when we sell the house it might just be possible to let her have the lessons. She is horse crazy and if she loves it why not encourage it.

Has anyone else had any experience with horseback riding lessons for children. I have no idea where to begin with this.

Tondi G
08-13-2009, 01:09 AM
If you can swing it financially and she is horse crazy... then DO IT! I was horse crazy too and LOVED riding lessons and eventually got my own horse when I was in 7th grade. It was a HUGE part of my childhood and one day when my kids are older I plan to have a horse/horses again!

Keep looking around... maybe there will be an opportunity to half lease a horse and make the lessons less expensive? I have a friend who did that... she and another girl paid half each for board and shoes etc and they split the time on the horse for lessons etc.

Hope it works out for you!

sariana
08-13-2009, 01:18 AM
When we lived in Michigan, our recreation department sold discounted tickets for lessons with a local riding stable.

Here in CA we don't have that, but our recreation department does have classes called "Horse Sense for Kids" or something like that. It introduces children to the basics of grooming and riding.

You might want to check the programs in your community and surrounding communities to see if you have anything like that.

When my DH was in college, he volunteered time at a nearby stable in exchange for lessons. That might be another approach to try.

gatorsmom
08-13-2009, 01:27 AM
I'd call nearby stables. I have a couple of friends here who love horses and take their kids and friends horseback riding at nearby stables. I would think if you call some stables they could give you the information you are looking for or numbers to other locations and programs.

AngelaS
08-13-2009, 06:36 AM
My girl have had riding lessons but currently I can't find any place close enough and affordable enough to have them ride. :(

Do you know anyone with horses? Or a teen w/a horse who'd be willing to teach? :)

vejemom
08-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Ditto to what everyone has said. And this little girl never grew out of her horse craziness - I'm looking out the window at my draft horses as I write this. And I'm looking for a third horse for my 10 y.o. stepson, who just learned to ride.

Sometimes it is cheaper if you can find a person who gives lessons privately, not affiliated with a larger stable. My neighbor does trail riding lessons on her horses. She teaches the kids everything - how to track, groom, etc. You often don't get that at a big barn. And she's cheaper. Just get creative. For every kid wanting to ride, there is a horse/pony owner with an animal that isn't getting enough exercise. See if you can match up. The Farm and Garden section of Craigslist is very active for that kind of thing here in Northern VA.

Riding is great for kids. I was a very shy, clingy child, but totally blossomed on horseback. I worked at a stable as a teenager, which also helped my self-esteem big time.

TwinFoxes
08-13-2009, 07:48 AM
One of my younger cousins started taking lessons when she was about your daughter's age. She got offered a scholarship one of the private colleges in California...like a football scholarship but for dressage! Who knew?

infomama
08-13-2009, 09:58 AM
I have been riding for decades. It is an expensive sport but horseback riding is so rewarding. Most of the kids I rode with were polite, dedicated and exceptionally smart. Just keep asking around and if you find a barn you like, speak with the trainer...she may be willing to work out a reduced lesson plan for you. Dd's lessons are $35 per and she rides a few times a month right now. As she gets better, we will look into half (or quarter) leasing a horse.

It is very important to find a trainer that you jive with and has the same philosophy as you. Our current trainer believes that you should give your lesson/show everything you've got but to also remember that riding is supposed to be really fun. Most of the pressure put on the riders is by the riders themselves and *not* the trainer which is good....they strive to be better every day they ride because they want to improve, not becuase someone is yelling at them to do better (this is huge).

You can save a few bucks going to a more 'backyard' barn but her instruction may suffer. I would suggest seeking out a quality trainer with quality horses for her to feel safe aboard.

Feel free to PM me with any more questions. Riding is *so* fun...I would encourage her to give it a try!

brittone2
08-13-2009, 11:19 AM
I grew up riding and owned a horse when I was 8-15yo or so. It really was a fantastic experience, and it really was an education in responsibility, hard work, etc. My parents were not wealthy but they made it work.

Fast forward, my 2.5 yr old is horse-crazy!!! I mean, truly. I've called around and many barns won't take kids her age, but a few do. But yeah, lessons are pricey. My DS is 5 and hasn't really been interested in any kind of lessons but he said he would like to ride as well.

At this point we are going to wait until DH finishes up his PhD (a few more months) as at that point we should be able to swing it. DS is old enough he could do a group class, and if you prepay a month's worth of lessons at a time it brings the cost down at one of the barns.

We are considering leasing/buying eventually down the road if our kids stay interested. I'd like to get back into riding as well so I'm hoping it works out :love-retry:

Most places require proper riding attire, which of course will include the cost of a helmet, boots/appropriate footware, and depending on the barn breeches or johdpurs may be required as well. But of course, most lessons (music, dance, etc.) require spending $$ for the equipment, attire, etc.