PDA

View Full Version : Day out with Thomas - STrasburg, PA - in Dec?

clc053103
08-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Anyone do this in Dec? We are away during Sept and this is something we would love for DS to see. Is there anything else in the area that is doable in winter, besides shopping?

karenj2
09-03-2009, 10:30 AM
It depends on how you define "in the area"... :) I live about 45 minutes away from Strasburg, and live about 5 minutes away from Longwood Gardens (http://www.longwoodgardens.org), which at Christmastime is absolutely BEAUTIFUL with Christmas lights! I'm not sure how old your LO is, but for years we've gone with my niece and nephew who enjoy it (they're now 4 & 8).

Also, you might want to check the train event schedule - I *think* that the train ride during Christmas is the "Polar Express" instead of Thomas the Tank Engine, but I could be wrong.

clc053103
09-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks- I have been to Longwood Gardens, it didn't dawn on me how close that is to Strasburg!

I checked the thomas site and it does say Thomas coming for a few days in early dec. STarting to think maybe we should just wait for next spring when he's there more days, and also nicer weather so we could do something like Dutch Wonderland.

Mikey0709
09-14-2009, 11:28 AM
I would check out the dates for "Christmas in Hershey".... lots of lights - some rides open....and very nice! It's a little bit futher away - but not too bad if your already traveling to the area....www.christmasinhershey.com. (and the chocolate factory free tour ride is pretty cool also - - we have gone there twice just to do the free ride and eat lunch in their food court!)

roms
10-15-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm not sure how old your DS is, but Dutch Wonderland is close by and open Fri-Sun.

clc053103
10-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the responses!

I think I would like to just skip Thomas and do Hershey now! LOL!

LD92599
10-15-2009, 07:52 PM
We love Hershey @ Christmas time. We've gone a few times and it's CHEAP! Plus it's the kiddie rides that are pretty much all open. Definitely do the drive through lights in Hershey at night!