PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network vs DirecTv

ahrimie
08-13-2009, 04:45 PM
Anyone have strong opinions towards either??

We currently have DirecTv but Dish just became avail in our area and it's so much cheaper. DH thinks DirecTv is better but he really has nothing to base that on.

Then there's Comcast too...

Anyone care to share?

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-13-2009, 04:54 PM
We have had both and I loved Dish Network. DirecTv drives me and DH nuts! It is slow sooooo slow to respond to anything you press on the remote. Scrolling through DVRed shows takes FOREVER! I also liked how Dish Network's DVR did the rewind, jump back/forward, etc. With DirecTv I am constantly missing what I want and it seems to jump around for no reason. Dish Network had no delay and never caused any of these issues. As far as reception, they seem pretty equal. We live in an area that gets pretty powerful thunderstorms and they get knocked out pretty equally. If I could switch back to Dish Network right now, I totally would!

AnnieW625
08-13-2009, 05:11 PM
My co worker switched from cable to Dish Network and she is not happy at all. She says there are less channels and that's why it's cheaper. She also says that there is something like a $500 cancellation fee before the end of the contract that is hidden in the contract somewhere.

We had DirecTv and had it worked with my Tivo we would've kept it, but since about 6 mos. before we got the Tivo Direct and Tivo had a falling out (Tivo used to provide DVRs for Direct) and therefore even if you had a dual tuner Tivo like I did it wouldn't work on any Direct TV unless you were able to retune your Tivo to some degree (a friend did it and I am not sure how, but it wasn't cheap!) we ended up switching to Time Warner cable and have been happy.

codex57
08-13-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm very happy with Dish Network. So much cheaper than DirecTV. It's missing a couple channels I like, but on the whole, it's not a huge loss. Unless you're a die hard fan of those channels, I don't think it's worth the extra price.

Comcast is crazy. Insanely expensive and I swear, if there is a god of the underworld, Comcast is his personal corporation.

Been decently happy with the customer service of Dish. My parents have DirecTV and they're ok. I'd rank em slightly less than Dish though. It's been several years since I've had Comcast, but I'm still pissed at them. I read consumerist.com and apparently, things haven't changed over the years. Comcast perennially ranks among the crappiest/evilest companies.

AnnieW625
08-13-2009, 06:03 PM
I'm very happy with Dish Network. So much cheaper than DirecTV. It's missing a couple channels I like, but on the whole, it's not a huge loss. Unless you're a die hard fan of those channels, I don't think it's worth the extra price.

Comcast is crazy. Insanely expensive and I swear, if there is a god of the underworld, Comcast is his personal corporation.

Been decently happy with the customer service of Dish. My parents have DirecTV and they're ok. I'd rank em slightly less than Dish though. It's been several years since I've had Comcast, but I'm still pissed at them. I read consumerist.com and apparently, things haven't changed over the years. Comcast perennially ranks among the crappiest/evilest companies.

So glad I moved here just before AT&T switched to Comcast up north. I have heard horror stories. Comcast was the only cable available in my area until Verizon introduced Fios and not too long after that we got Time Warner. I would've done anything to not have Comcast, which is why we got DirecTV in the first place.

kransden
08-13-2009, 06:23 PM
I had the Dish in the midwest and it was fine. I have DirectTV here in the southwest. It a better value than Dish for what I wanted. To me it came down to the price vs what I wanted. Both worked equally well for me and there was no difference in lag time.

tylersmama
08-13-2009, 06:31 PM
We've had both, and I prefer Dish, although I don't know that I could really give you any concrete reasons for that. I don't know how the costs compared, as when we switched I wasn't doing the finances. I preferred the Directv Tivo over our original Dish DVR, but our current Dish DVR has been really good, MUCH better than the original one.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
08-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I have thought of going from cable to satellite, my only issue is seeing my neighbors standing on their ladders sweeping snow off with a broom. We had a light year last year, less than 100", but we still had neighbors out sweeping in 6" plus storms....