PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joe's Discontinued Items

jellibeans
08-13-2009, 06:52 PM
In the past 2 months, 2 things that I love from TJ's have been discontinued. The first thing are these little sandwiches that were in a box, individually wrapped. My son and husband loved the oatmeal and strawberry ones. They also had PB&J and maybe one more flavor.
The second are the strawberry filled cereal bites. They also had chocolate ones. My husband is going to cry when he gets home from work and I tell him. Anything else discontinued from there recently?

hollybloom24
08-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I have not been able to find the strawberry granola bars!

egoldber
08-13-2009, 07:12 PM
It was a sad, sad day when they discontinued the soybean butter.....

baymom
08-13-2009, 07:24 PM
I'm still sad over their discontinuation of the honey flavored ice cream. Had I known, I would have stocked up--have never tasted anything like it!

brittone2
08-13-2009, 07:26 PM
I adored the orange rooibos tea, as did my kids. Rooibos is so high in antioxidants, is naturally decaf, and their orange version had such a pleasant taste. I started letting DD have some when she was barely 1. Both kids drink a lot of it when sick...and no sweetening really necessary.

I have loose leaf rooibos from a local seller I like, and I buy loose leaf rooibos (plain) in bulk from Frontier. But I really liked the TJs one for "bag" tea that was super quick. And it was soooo nice and kid friendly. ETA: it was organic too!

TwinFoxes
08-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I've heard they bring things back occasionally if enough people bug them. I'm always worried that my favorite cereal (Toasted Oatmeal Flakes if you're interested) will be discontinued. I will cry. I haven't been able to figure out what mass market cereal, if any, it's supposed to be like.

skygoddess
08-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Beth, have you found a good replacement for the TJ's soynut butter? My FA DD loved that stuff, too. We found a version at Whole Foods (365 Organic brand), but she doesn't like it as much.

egoldber
08-13-2009, 07:44 PM
We are now using the IM Healthy brand, which Sarah finds acceptable. But it's twice as much!!

trentsmom
08-13-2009, 07:53 PM
The second are the strawberry filled cereal bites. They also had chocolate ones.

No wonder I couldn't find them when I went last week! I thought it was because I was at a smaller TJ's. Boooo. And I had just heard about them and really wanted to try them.

hellokitty
08-13-2009, 07:56 PM
We went to TJ's looking for the strawberry cereal last wk and they told us they don't carry it anymore. :( We were all really upset.

clb
08-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Anelletti pasta (ring shape). TJs stopped carrying them 6mo or so ago. DS protested pasta for a little while.

vludmilla
08-13-2009, 09:10 PM
I really miss the chocolate hazelnut spread that was like Nutella but healthier (w/o the trans fat and less sugar).

srhs
08-13-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't have TJs but have been twice on vacation and sent my SIL for a haul once.

I was super-bummed about the strawberry cereal as DS loved it in CA!

Also, I asked SIL to get another KC-style bbq sauce, and they told her they were discontinuing that. Rec for another 'style' bbq sauce, not spicy?

I was also bummed we didn't get to try the peach sauce some posters had mentioned, though the TJs employee pointed her to the pear one.

Globetrotter
08-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I miss those crunchy curls, made of lentils and potatoes!
http://glutenfreeislife.wordpress.com/2009/07/11/product-review-trader-joes-crunchy-curls/

I keep hoping they are just sold out and not discontinued :p

alleycat
08-13-2009, 09:51 PM
It's been a while, maybe even years, but I really miss their chicken chimichangas.

cuca_
08-13-2009, 09:51 PM
I miss those crunchy curls, made of lentils and potatoes!
http://glutenfreeislife.wordpress.com/2009/07/11/product-review-trader-joes-crunchy-curls/

I keep hoping they are just sold out and not discontinued :p

I just saw these earlier this week at my TJs, so hopefully they are just out of stock at yours!

ahrimie
08-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Also, I asked SIL to get another KC-style bbq sauce, and they told her they were discontinuing that. Rec for another 'style' bbq sauce, not spicy?

Wait.. is that going to be discontinued?!!! I love that one!! The last time I went there were a ton out front (and this was not that long ago)...

Twin Mom
08-13-2009, 10:56 PM
I used to buy the low fat goat cheese and was bummed it was discontinued. They also told me they discontinued the sweet, savory and tart trail mix bars a while back but they had them the last time I was there so maybe there were complaints?

You can ask at customer service and they can tell you if something is discontinued or just out of stock.

MMMommy
08-13-2009, 11:21 PM
I too was upset when I couldn't find the strawberry cereal bites the last two times I went to TJs. What happened to them? We loved those! I haven't seen the lentil-potato curl chips either lately. And don't get me started on them discontinuing their mudpie dessert last year.

Sigh.

DrSally
08-13-2009, 11:25 PM

:yeahthat:

DrSally
08-13-2009, 11:26 PM
It's been a while, maybe even years, but I really miss their chicken chimichangas.

Me too! I got them every time. The price was good and they were quick and yummy. I also don't like their new version of breaded eggplant.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-14-2009, 01:21 AM
we miss the sir strawberry juice and a specific curry sauce that they stopped carrying years ago. And the fact that they discontinue items without warning is one of the reasons I don't do the bulk of my shopping there anymore. It just really turned me off.

But I still go back from time to time and always leave with too much when i do.

Globetrotter
08-14-2009, 01:27 AM
I just saw these earlier this week at my TJs, so hopefully they are just out of stock at yours!

fingers crossed! They were a perfect healthy snack for all of us!

BayGirl2
08-14-2009, 01:33 AM
I noticed yesterday that mine no longer has soy cheese. I haven't been in a while, and not sure if its just this TJ's or all because I used to shop at a different one. They had really good shredded cheddar soy cheese.

srhs
08-14-2009, 01:42 AM
Re: KC-style BBQ sauce

Wait.. is that going to be discontinued?!!! I love that one!! The last time I went there were a ton out front (and this was not that long ago)...
SIL had my list and a TJ employee took pity on her and started helping her find things. She doesn't normally shop there, so it was all new to her. He told her if I liked that one, she should stock up because they were discontinuing it. He may have been mistaken, of course, but that was the word.

essnce629
08-14-2009, 03:18 AM
Ok, glad to know I wasn't losing my mind when I told two people about their soynut butter and both said they couldn't find it there. I just "knew" they had soynut butter before. I used to buy my white tea from there but they got rid of it and started only carrying white pomagranate tea. So sad. Has anyone seen their chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches lately? I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those, but my mom couldn't find them at her store last time and came home with their mini mint cookie ice cream sandwiches, which are good but are so small I feel like I want to eat half the box in one sitting!

Bens Momma
08-14-2009, 07:56 AM
DH LOVED the strawberry and banana granola bars for breakfast everyday and the boys could snack on them. Our TJs had a sign on the shelf saying that they'd "be back soon" for weeks and then they disappeared for good :(! I also miss the Roobios tea, but have a green variety that I enjoy. They haven't carried their organic powdered sugar for months, although the sign says it will be back.....and I use it in a bunch of recipes! Some of their product that are considered "seasonal" bug me too. We'll get hooked on something and they'll only carry it for a couple weeks?!? We coveted their gingerbread mix and it was only available for 2 weeks!!

Momma to 2 ACTIVE :bouncy::bouncy:

Jeanne
08-14-2009, 09:50 AM
I have had my heart broken over the years so many times with things that disappear. But it is true that they will bring something back if there's enough negative response to it. Lemon Curd left the shelves for a good 2 years but it finally came back!

mommylamb
08-14-2009, 09:52 AM
DS used to love their chicken drummets (trader Joe's chicken nuggets). They're gone... boo hoo...

SnuggleBuggles
08-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Once I thought something was gone (frozen puff pastry) and it turns out my store wasn't seeing enough sales on it so they weren't ordering it. I requested it and they got it back for me. I stocked up.

One day I thought to look for bars of baking chocolate. There they were. Good and cheap. Haven't seen them since and 2 cashiers now have looked at me like I was nuts when I asked about them. One told me they didn't sell such a thing. I said that I had some sitting at home in my pantry. So, now I am not sure what is up with stocking them.

Beth

egoldber
08-14-2009, 10:01 AM
A lot of their baking items are considered "seasonal". I hate that.

bcafe
08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
DS used to love their chicken drummets (trader Joe's chicken nuggets). They're gone... boo hoo...

I have been wondering about those! I was told the peanut butter soft granola bars were being discontinued, but after a few weeks they were back. DH loves those and can only eat them at work due to our PA DS...

Claki
08-14-2009, 10:40 AM
We loved their goat cheese frozen pizza that they took away last year.

Tondi G
08-14-2009, 02:20 PM
A long time ago they carried a black bean and garlic sauce that was DELICIOUS! We were so sad to see it go!

Recently they discontinued their beef stew in a can. My son and neighbors son LOVED it and it was nice to have in the cupboards for lunches in their thermos.

I was annoyed when I saw their chicken nugget things aren't in the freezer section anymore. They weren't my kids favorite but they helped me out in a pinch when they needed something to eat quick!

smiles33
08-14-2009, 04:16 PM
My favorite item was their cold cilantro noodle salad in the refrigerated prepared salads section. I stocked up every time (even though they expire in like 3 days). I haven't seen it for a year or so. I'm STILL sad about it, though at least they still have the cilantro salad so I can make it on my own.

AnnieW625
08-14-2009, 04:23 PM

No way I like that one much better than the one in the plastic bottle. I just bought some of that the last time I was in there like two weeks ago. I really like Sweet Baby Ray's but it has HFCS in it. Cattlemens is okay too and HFCS IIRC.

I really really really miss their sweet and sour sauce. It was great for crockpot sweet n sour meatballs.

I also used to like their chicken masala and chicken curry (I think) frozen lunches. I am not big on curry but this one was good and it was 4 or 5 WW points, not 12 or 13 like most of their frozen meals!

The chicken drummets come and go in our stores, they've been a staple though since I started shopping there in the early 90s so they might be back later.

SnuggleBuggles
08-14-2009, 04:36 PM
A lot of their baking items are considered "seasonal". I hate that.

Yeah, that's what yesterday's cashier said. :(

Beth

DrSally
08-14-2009, 04:44 PM
I also used to love the chocolate coated macaroons.

mommylamb
08-14-2009, 05:03 PM
The chicken drummets come and go in our stores, they've been a staple though since I started shopping there in the early 90s so they might be back later.

I specifically asked about them and was told they were being discontinued. They came and went for a while, but now they are just gone:( fortunately for me, DS isn't as picky as he used to be when they were a true staple.