PDA

View Full Version : wide toe-box walking shoes?

amldaley
08-13-2009, 09:20 PM
I normally wear Dankso's and am now looking for athletic walking shoes with a wide toe box. Any ideas????

nfowife
08-15-2009, 04:21 PM
saucony, if you mean sneakers, are great. I have bunions and they are wide enough for my very wide toe area.

I also have land's end mocs and they are my go-to during jeans season. I wear them almost every day.

trales
08-15-2009, 07:19 PM
New Balance makes two different toe boxes, the SL-1 is more narrow and the SL-2 is designed for people with wide feet or bunions. There is a huge difference in them.

If you look inside the shoe it will say SL-1 or SL-2

both the 764 and 762's are SL-2.

I have a huge, arthritic, inflamed bunion and I can wear these.

alirebco
08-15-2009, 07:52 PM
New Balance!

lizzywednesday
08-23-2009, 03:38 PM
If you go with the New Balance, be sure to size up at least half a size in the SL-2 last.

The last is wider, but I find it runs approximately half a size shorter than the SL-1 last.

(Having wide feet, this has become a bit of an obsession.)

Also try:

- Ryka brand shoes (I think they are currently being promoted by Kelly Ripa) as their toeboxes run a bit wider, although their lasts run short IMO
- Brooks brand running shoes (expensive, yes, but worth the extra $$; I wore their Ariel model for years before switching to NB)
- Mizuno brand running shoes (again, pricey, but worth the extra $$; my mother loves hers)

I know people who also swear by Mephisto brand shoes as well (have never tried them personally)

Whatever you do, please get fitted at a good shoe store ... and go late in the day when your feet have swollen a bit to get the best fit.

Wear whatever sock you plan to use during your walking/workouts to your fitting ... socks make a big impact on the fit of your shoe. What could be a comfy sock in your Danskos may wind up bunching weird in your sneakers.

Lastly, don't be afraid to go home and sleep on it if you're just not ready to buy.

Hope this helps!!!

(I've walked several marathons in the past 5 years as part of the Avon 2-Day walk and intend on doing my 6th this October. I also need new shoes, currently the New Balance 1123, SL-2 last, 10.5EE - but I have a flat foot, so I need the extra support - which I have to have custom-ordered because the store simply cannot stock my size all the time ... there's not enough space to do it!)