PDA

View Full Version : College dorm life needs/wants

bcafe
08-14-2009, 10:11 AM
My eldest DS is off to college in 2 weeks! I can't remember what is needed for dorm life. I ordered a bunch of first aid type things like bandages, tylenol/motrin, etc. I asked him if he would carry a shower caddy type thing into the showers and he stared at me blankly! :) It has been ages since college for me, please help!
Betsy

SnuggleBuggles
08-14-2009, 10:27 AM
I knew there was a good thread about this A bit of digging turned up this awesome thread with many good ideas. Hope it helps!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=325655&highlight=dorm

Beth

Andi98989
08-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Part of it depends on what his living situation will be. If he's in a dorm where he needs to use a community bathroom down the hall, then he'll need some sort of shower kit (be it a basket or a bag) to carry toothbrush, toothpaste, shaving supplies, shampoo, and soap back and forth. If he's in a suite where they have their own bathroom, then you don't have to worry about that as much, but you'll need to have cleaning supplies since that will usually be your own responsibility.

General dorms will have extra-long twin beds and you'll need to provide your own sheets. Some will have mini-fridges that you can rent, or you could buy one and bring your own. A hot pot is helpful but not necessary. Most don't allow you to have a microwave in your room.

For doing laundry, the tablets are a lot easier than dealing with liquid or even boxes of powder. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0REYE/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00005NAX8&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0T7WEPRF11Y0FP0A49BS

You need to bring your own telephone, power strip, computer cables, desk chair, tv, dvd, etc....

A good set of headphones for using with the computer is very handy so that you don't bother your roommate with music, etc... - or you can drown him out! :) Ear plugs are handy, too. I would also bring a fan - when we were in college, it was impossible to control the temperature in our room. We'd have the windows open in December (in Michigan!) and a fan going.

Pretty much whatever you would need to set up a basic apartment is what you're going to need in a dorm.

schums
08-14-2009, 12:48 PM
A basic toolkit is a great thing too. When I was in school, I was the only one on the floor with a hammer, screwdriver, pliers, etc. I got really popular the first few weeks of school as word got around!

AnnieW625
08-14-2009, 01:39 PM
My sister graduated from college in May and here are some essentials that come to mind:
bulk deoderant
bulk soap
shampoo/conditioner liters
bulk toothpaste/toothbrushes/floss
laundry detergent
package or two of new socks, underwear, and white tee shirts
24 pack of water
fan (bring one from home if DS is going to college in a hot area; my sister made the mistake of not bringing one and move in was the hottest weekend of the year and all the stores were out)
new bath robe
a few pairs of Old Navy flip flops for the shower
large bath towel
condoms (no flames please, but you are dealing with an 18/19 year old whose on his own, things can happen)
cup o noodle
mac n cheese singles
Clorox wipes
phone book with emergency names and contacts (just in case you never know when your cell phone might die!)

Things I would wait on until he gets there (dorms never ever look as cool as they do in the BBB mailers):
*area rugs
*electric items like panini grill or coffee maker (my sister lived in a suite w/an open area and could use a panini grill there, but that might not be an option in a regular single or double room)
*snack food (I had a meal plan in college but besides meals at the dining hall I could also use it for food at the little convenience store across the street from the dorms)
*laundry money (at my sister's school they were converting to a system where you had to put all of your laundry money on your id card so don't go getting $50 or so in quarters because you may not need them)

katydid1971
08-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Annie had some very good suggestions, I would hold off on buying too much because every dorm/living arrangement is different. Right now Target, BB&B, Walmart etc have HUGE dorm areas which include those shower caddies etc. Good luck to her :)