PDA

View Full Version : Baby sunburn- anything I can/should do?

LarsMal
08-14-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm feeling like the world's worst mother right now. In my 4 years of motherhood I've managed to avoid sunburns in the kiddos- until today. And, of course, it's the baby!

We were at the park for several hours today. It was cloudy at first and once the sun broke through I put block on DS and DD1. They are perfectly fine. I had the baby in the shade. She fell asleep on a blanket and looked so peaceful that I just left her there instead of putting her in the stroller or car seat. When we got home I noticed the cheek that was facing the sun was a little pink. As the night has gone on she looks like a lobster! It's just that cheek, though, and maybe one little spot on the inside of her arm. The rest of her body is perfectly fine. So weird!

She doesn't seem to be bothered by it. Is there anything I should do? Cool bath? Or just let it go since she seems to be fine?

All of this brings up the question of whether or not I should just put sunscreen on her in the future, even though she's under 6 months. Is it better to have a little chemical in the body and avoid the burn or risk the burn? From now on I'll make sure she's back in the car seat or something like that, but I have taken her out like this before and she's been fine in the shade. Obviously not this time!

Poor Baby C!

zephyr
08-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Have you ever heard of putting sour cream on burns? I've done this on myself before and it really helps with the cooling effect. Plus it has no harmful chemicals so I think I would do that my infant if he got a sunburn. HTH!

DrSally
08-14-2009, 10:18 PM
My SIL asked her dr. this question--better to put sunscreen on a under 6 month old if they have to be in the sun. She was going to her brother's wedding in FL and it was a beach wedding. The ped said, yes, use sunscreen in that case. If it were me, I'd use a physical block with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, and no chemical sunscreen in it. Something really mild.

ETA: not sure about "treating" it. Maybe a tepid bath to help stop the "burning" process and cool down her skin. Aloe?

MommyAllison
08-14-2009, 10:21 PM
That happened to us last summer - I felt horrible too! I put some aloe vera gel on it (like you, it was just a small patch on his arm and cheek) and it healed up fine in a few days. It never seemed to bother DS - just me. I was really careful to watch for dehydration, as that seems to be the biggest problem with sunburn in tiny babies. We nursed extra and there were plenty of wet diapers. Hope it fades soon!

brittone2
08-14-2009, 10:23 PM
My SIL asked her dr. this question--better to put sunscreen on a under 6 month old if they have to be in the sun. She was going to her brother's wedding in FL and it was a beach wedding. The ped said, yes, use sunscreen in that case. If it were me, I'd use a physical block with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, and no chemical sunscreen in it. Something really mild.

I agree. When DS was 2 months we took a beach trip and I used a solarveil ring sling with him, which helped a lot. He also wore what my dad affectionately dubbed the hazmat suit LOL. I can't find it now online (I think I got it from Sierra Trading or Campor) but it was a lightweight long sleeve/pants (it was a one piece thingie that zipped up) that had a really high SPF.

With a 6 month old I'd go w/ a physical block. DS had somewhat sensitive skin when he was a young infant so I wasn't particularly ready to do a block with him at 2 months.

Tondi G
08-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I would put some aloe vera on it ... you can get pure aloe at health food stores as opposed to the green or blue gel you can buy from a drug store that often has something in it that numbs the skin. The aloe will soothe the skin. If she seems uncomfortable you can give her a little dose of tylenol (you can with anyone who has a sunburn).

As far as sunscreen goes buy a physical blocker like California Baby.

strollerqueen
08-15-2009, 12:25 AM
You can also get an Aloe plant, break off a leaf, and rub the gel from that directly on the burn. Heals it like magic.

LarsMal
08-15-2009, 11:03 AM
I just had to share something funny- another "bad mommy" moment!

C's left eye, the side that burned- has the green goopy plugged duct. She had some crusties on her eye and onto her cheek yesterday. Clearly I didn't bother wiping it off b/c when I gave her a bath last night and gently washed her face a white circle appeared where the crusty was. So, not only did I let my baby get sunburned, but she has a white mark on her face that's proof I don't wash her face enough! :bag

She looks better today- still pink, but not lobster red. Still doesn't seem bothered by it so I'm just going to let it be. I'll have to get some CB to use on her next time. Thanks!

newg
08-15-2009, 11:09 AM
I second the aloe plant.........also land's end has sun hats for babies with spf 50 in them...I got one earlier this summer, free shipping, for like $8....they also have some great rash guard/sun shirts and stuff.....I've also seen small umbrellas that have spf in them...you can clip them to a stroller or car seat and if baby is laying on a blanket, probably just prop it on the ground too....
Sorry your little one has a sunburn!!!

hobie
08-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Also try sun protective clothing...long loose sleeves, big floppy hats, etc.