PDA

View Full Version : For all you soon-to-be football widows...

ourbabygirl
08-14-2009, 09:17 PM
what do you do when your DH watches all the games? It's crazy how many different times and days they're on... do you plan anything fun for the times he's parked in front of the tube, or out with friends watching it somewhere?

SnuggleBuggles
08-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Watch and enjoy! I'm a football fan. Sometimes I reach my limit though so I have some things to fill the time. Come on here. :) Also, since you know dh will be home to watch the games you could sneak out and go to the gym, run errands, go for a walk....take some personal time and he and baby can watch the game together.

Beth

scrooks
08-14-2009, 09:35 PM
:bighand:I agree. I can always go shopping by myself when there is a game on!

carolinamama
08-14-2009, 09:48 PM
In addition to watching the games, DH goes to all of our college home games since we have season tickets. He leaves hours before the game to tailgate and stays hours afterward to tailgate. I am seriously not looking forward to it, but it's his one "thing" that he still gets to do regularly since having kids and less time for leisure activities. I'll probably tailgate for a few games with the kids (we'll leave before the game) and I may try to make it to one game if I can get a family member to sit for the boys all day.

While DH watches games, I'll either watch with him or sneak out. I actually enjoy football season - time to make chili, hearty soups, cornbread, pumpkin bread....and have people over to watch games.

TwinFoxes
08-14-2009, 10:52 PM
Honestly, I love football, probably more than DH. That being said I don't think it's unfair of you to ask your DH to limit viewing somewhat. Not every game is a great game that you can't miss. Not even all the Monday night games are can't miss. Maybe he could just watch his team, and the big games? Also, Tivo totally helps. You don't feel like you're rushing back to make the start of a game if it's being recorded. And you can talk to him during the game because you can pause.

My DH is a NASCAR fan, which is not my cup of tea. I did learn enough about it to follow what's going on, which makes it more bearable for me. Plus the malls have great sales on Sundays, which works for football and NASCAR ;)

edurnemk
08-15-2009, 11:31 AM
My BFs and I made a pact long ago, to get together and go shopping, for coffee, etc. while our husbands watched football. So I usually make plans with them, or plan to do something for myself (go to the gym, read a book, take DS to the park) or try to get something done around the house, like organizing closets.

I can't watch more than 10 minutes of football.

Carrots
08-15-2009, 11:53 AM
I need to rant for a minute:
I HATE FOOTBALL!!!!! I was never interested in it to begin with. Then I married a man who was born and raised in Massachusetts and LOVES the NY Giants. The fact that he doesn't even like the Patriots makes football even more annoying to me.

I think I mostly hate it because DH spends so much time watching it, talking about it, arguing about it, planning his fantasy football team, organizing his fantasy football league (he is the commissioner of his league:shake:) checking stats, etc., etc.

End rant:

Anyway, last year I would leave DH with DD and I would go shopping or stay home to cook while he was in charge of DD.

This year I want to start some sort of girl's group with other local football widow friends. Does anyone do anything like this? Any ideas?

Thanks,

HIU8
08-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I also dislike football for the most part. Whenever there is a game on, the pact between DH and I is that he gets the kids and I get to either go grocery shopping by myself or do something that needs to be done (fix something, get out to get something etc...). So far it has worked pretty well. Sunday's I go grocery shopping alone and I LOVE IT.

ourbabygirl
08-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Ha! Yeah, my DH is a commissioner this year, too (started his own league), so we'll be hosting the draft at our house. Guess I'll need to see if I can stay over at my parents' with DD that night.
Also had to buy the NFL package to watch the games, which is expensive. Oh well.
Grocery shopping and getting stuff done around the house are good ideas :).

hellokitty
08-15-2009, 04:45 PM
I HATE football. Luckily, my DH is obsessed particularly with college FB (not NFL), but we are buckeyes, if that gives you any clue as to how, "crazy" he is about his FB. Usually, I would go out to a movie with a friend or go shopping during games. However, now I have a newborn, that's not really as feasible. Maybe I will try to go to the gym or something, and hope that it's not too busy. I'm really big on going to places when they are not busy.

erosenst
08-15-2009, 08:04 PM
My DH doesn't watch a lot on TV. But he goes to every college game for 'his' game. And when I say "every", I mean home and away. (And the home ones are still 3 hours away.)

DD and I go to 4 games with him. The rest, we've learned to work out our own routine which has changed over time. But it's often the time we go to a restaurant DH doesn't like for breakfast, go to the library (not his favorite) and schedule playdates. (Gives me some adult interaction and/or a break...and DH isn't always interested in hosting).

It's also gotten easier as DD gets older.

One suggestion - at one point, DH started to pitch a fit that DD and I were going out of town one of his 'away' weekends because we'd get back a couple of hours later than he would, and he wanted time with DD. It took a while, but he finally realized that, if he was going to make plans to be gone that many weekends, I could make plans to have DD away a little longer than he was one weekend. Same thing, IMHO, applies to couch viewing.

HIU8
08-15-2009, 08:23 PM
We bought that last year. It was a combined bday and hanukah gift for DH. I'm doing it again this year for him.

TwinFoxes
08-15-2009, 08:27 PM
My DH doesn't watch a lot on TV. But he goes to every college game for 'his' game. And when I say "every", I mean home and away. (And the home ones are still 3 hours away.)

I take it back, I don't love football, I just kind of like it. Your DH loves football!

erosenst
08-15-2009, 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erosenst http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/images/buttons2/viewpost.gif (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2450138#post2450138)

I take it back, I don't love football, I just kind of like it. Your DH loves football! I meant every game for his team, which I'm guessing you knew. But just in case :). And as he says, he's a true fan. Which is short for 'fanatic'. Which totally fits in this case...:rolleye0014:

MelissaTC
08-15-2009, 10:41 PM
I finally caved and got into the game. But we take the opportunity to make "football" food, experiment with appetizers, etc... I take the time to maybe go shopping or get my nails done. I sometimes take DS to the park or a movie also. DH is not a complete football nut unless the Giants are in the playoffs then all bets are off.