PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Compare These WDW Hotels

StantonHyde
08-16-2009, 01:40 AM
I am looking into to going to WDW the last week of May/first week of June 2010. DD will be 5 and DS 7.5 years. We really do better with a suite hotel. DH is a nightowl and we tend to do the park, leave around 4-5 and not come back. (This is what we did on 2 previous vacations to DL and SeaWorld) For dinner, we just get take out so that the kids can eat and we can have wine with dinner and not worry about what the kids are doing.

So I am looking at:
Polynesian: no suites, but on the Monorail and fun place to stay
Fairhill Suites (in a Marrriott complex in Lake Buena Vista): this sounds great but is further away
Marriott Residence Inn--there is one at Lake Buena Vista and one at Seaworld, I am thinking the Buena Vista one would be better for us.

We would consider renting a car and taking a day to see the Kennedy Space Center but we would also be happy spending one day at Animal Kingdom, one day at Disney Hollywood (that's where all the shows are, right?), maybe a day at Epcot but not sure, and they could easily spend 2-3 days at the Magic Kingdom. (We spent 3.5 days there at DL) I don't mind driving for 20-30 mins in traffic but not an hour!! (e.g. just to get tot he park every day) Most places run shuttles but I have heard that can take a long time by the time they pick everybody up etc.

So the questions are: where to stay? to rent a car or rely on shuttles? I don't think we'll do the meal plan because we will just be eating lunch and some snacks on site. I will do my best to book a character meal or two. The princess lunch at DL was AWESOME.

TIA!

erosenst
08-16-2009, 06:52 PM
If you're considering the Poly, the Grand Floridian is comparably priced and also has suites. We stayed there in January and it was great. Nice being on the Monorail; great pools. And with 1900 Park Fare there, good character meals right there. (We did breakfast and dinner there.)

JTsMom
08-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I would go for the Poly b/c it's so much different than the others. The restaurants are great there as well. You'd be able to watch the fireworks from the beach there, and if DH wanted to stay out a little later, he could jump on the monorail.

Another possible perk- they have the Neverland Kid's Club there, which might be a nice way to sneak in some adult time. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it.

DHS does have several shows (Playhouse Disney, Little Mermaid, the car stunt one, American Idol), but AK has the Lion King and Nemo ones.

egoldber
08-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Have you considered one of the DVC resorts with suites? You can rent points from a DVC member or book them like a hotel room. You could also probably get connecting rooms at a Value for less than a suite at a DVC resort.

I do think there are huge advantages to staying on-site, but lots of people stay off-site, so YMMV.

clc053103
08-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Have you considered one of the DVC resorts with suites? You can rent points from a DVC member or book them like a hotel room. You could also probably get connecting rooms at a Value for less than a suite at a DVC resort.

I do think there are huge advantages to staying on-site, but lots of people stay off-site, so YMMV.

This was my thought exactly! The new Bay Lake Tower is at Contemporary if you wanted a Magic Kingdom resort, Contemporary is on the monorail and a 10 minute walk from MK. if you plan on eating meals in the rooms, the 1 and 2 br units have full kitchens and dining tables.

JTsMom
08-17-2009, 10:46 AM
This was my thought exactly! The new Bay Lake Tower is at Contemporary if you wanted a Magic Kingdom resort, Contemporary is on the monorail and a 10 minute walk from MK. if you plan on eating meals in the rooms, the 1 and 2 br units have full kitchens and dining tables.

Oh yeah! I change my vote to Bay Lake Towers! That would be the best of both worlds! Just FYI, one option for DVC properties is to rent points. There is a ton of info on disboards about it. It can be surprisingly affordable, although I don't know how easy it would be to find that property right now since everyone wants to stay there. Worth a try though.

StantonHyde
08-17-2009, 02:15 PM
I didn't even know your could rent points. I will look into it. The money issue is a sticking point for me--the Residence Inn is at least half the price of the Disney suites (~$173 vs. $350). By going with the off site, I will pay for our airfaire. So that is a big deal. But I will look into the points on disboards. Thanks!!