PDA

View Full Version : Step2 Walker Wagon: Reviews Appropriate for a Push Toy for 13 mth old?

pantrygirl
08-16-2009, 03:40 PM
Hi.

My toddler has just started walking with her FP shopping cart and it has been great but we're looking for something we can take outdoors with us to the local playground.

The FP has electronic parts we are afraid may get damaged if we are caught in the rain.

DH wants to get the Chicco Doll Stroller (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2594888) but I'm fairly certain that is for a seasoned walker. Our daughter is not. She just started walking with a push toy. I suggested it as her 2 year old birthday present instead.

On a side note, is the reason why doll strollers should not be used as walker trainers due to the weight distribution causing them to be easily tipped over? I know my husband is going to ask this when he gets home.

I was skimming through TRU (can someone tell them to make their website more user friendly?) and found Step2 has a walker wagon (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2885565#showReviews) similar to the Radio Flyer wagon but there are only a few reviews. I like the Radio Flyer version but I can't justify the price.

Has anyone purchased or used the Step2 wagon? Would you recommend it for a 13 mth old 30" tall toddler learning to walk?

Thanks in advance. :wink2:

sidmand
08-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I don't know about that one. We have a similar one and it's good. That seems kind of pricey for what it is though?

I do love the Radio Flyer walker wagon. It is pricier but very well made. Although I'm not sure I would take it outside. It's really not an outside wagon.

We have this one too (since this time around we had a girl)!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3027470 And I think it's good for someone learning to walk. There is one thing that takes batteries (the musical bear) but I think it would hold up outside just as well. I think it may be the weight distribution on most doll strollers that is the issue but this one kind of got around that by being a doll stroller and a first walker type of item. I figured DD needed at least one doll stroller!

DD just started walking a little while ago and does push it around although I think she pushes the wagon and or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Toys-Play-Ride-Train/dp/B000034DOI (we have a very similar one, not the same colors but same thing)

even more. Yes, we have a lot of toys!!! Nothing electronic on this one and she can push it or ride it or just play on it.

You could also check out a consignment store. I learned (after the fact!) that they usually have some almost brand-new toys and may very well have what you're looking for.

FWIW we have a couple of plastic shopping carts we use outside. One I picked up at a garage sale and one is at the local park. Those are probably much better outdoors than some of the others just because there is nothing electronic and they would hold up to the elements better.

kristac
08-16-2009, 08:36 PM
how about a shopping cart? We found this one quit sturdy when DS was learning to walk. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-612428-Shopping-Cart/dp/B00005BZKD/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1250469268&sr=8-5

brittone2
08-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I worked as a pediatric physical therapist in early intervention pre-kids. You don't want to rely on a doll stroller until DC is walking well.

What you want is something stable. Heavier often works well. If you look at the Haba walker wagon for example (I wouldn't recommend for outside per se, but just as an example), the push bar handle does not stick out far from the center of gravity of the cart. Ditto the RF walker wagon.

When I was working I did have one plastic push toy I liked that was a shopping cart. It had a very wide base of support (wheels were set quite wide) and the handle didn't stick out far...it was closer to the center of gravity). It was an older one though...I haven't seen one exactly like it in recent years.

So when you look for something, those are my tips. Look to see that the handle doesn't stick out too much. You want it closer to the center of gravity. Wider base of support is good-a wide wheel base. Heavier is good if you can find it.

traciann
08-17-2009, 01:19 AM
This isn't a walker wagon, but I am looking to get this for dd's first birthday. I read the online reviews on it and many said they used it for their new walker. It's the Little Tikes Classic Doll Buggy. http://www.littletikes.com/toys/classic-doll-buggy.aspx

littlebethany
08-17-2009, 08:25 AM
how about a shopping cart? We found this one quit sturdy when DS was learning to walk. http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tikes-612428-Shopping-Cart/dp/B00005BZKD/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1250469268&sr=8-5

Aww thats so cute! I cant wait tell Bethany is walking about. :)

JBaxter
08-17-2009, 09:09 AM
all of my boys have used a upside down clothes basket LOL

pantrygirl
08-17-2009, 11:44 AM
I worked as a pediatric physical therapist in early intervention pre-kids. You don't want to rely on a doll stroller until DC is walking well.

What you want is something stable. Heavier often works well. If you look at the Haba walker wagon for example (I wouldn't recommend for outside per se, but just as an example), the push bar handle does not stick out far from the center of gravity of the cart. Ditto the RF walker wagon.

When I was working I did have one plastic push toy I liked that was a shopping cart. It had a very wide base of support (wheels were set quite wide) and the handle didn't stick out far...it was closer to the center of gravity). It was an older one though...I haven't seen one exactly like it in recent years.

So when you look for something, those are my tips. Look to see that the handle doesn't stick out too much. You want it closer to the center of gravity. Wider base of support is good-a wide wheel base. Heavier is good if you can find it.
Thanks, Brittone.

I showed DH your post and he thought it was very informative and even shared the info with another dad in the neighborhood. We're holding off on the stroller until she's comfortable walking on her own. :)

WatchingThemGrow
08-17-2009, 12:14 PM
The RF has an afterlife to hold blocks for years! totally worth it. Post a wanted ad on CL if yu want to save $$.

brittone2
08-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Brittone.

I showed DH your post and he thought it was very informative and even shared the info with another dad in the neighborhood. We're holding off on the stroller until she's comfortable walking on her own. :)

Glad to help!

I have no personal experience w/ the plastic doll stroller someone linked to, but with a quick look that might be stable (I like the wide wheel base and the handle that doesn't stick out too much).

The Haba and RF walker wagons are $$ but very stable and can definitely serve other purposes ("stroller" or "grocery cart" or storage in the case of the RF). But if you are looking for primarily outdoor use, they probably wouldn't be the best choice.