PDA

View Full Version : Potty training, day one...

tylersmama
08-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Got DS up, sat him on the potty. Sat there for probably half an hour. Nothing. Gave up (figuring maybe he peed in his diaper before I got him up), put him in his big boy undies, went to make breakfast. Peed ALL over the kitchen floor. Sigh.

Changed undies, continued trying to make breakfast. Peed a little bit on the living room floor. Sat him on the potty. Sat there for probably an hour with him telling me that he's going to pee "in a minute". Finally gave up. Left him naked this time.

Plied him with kool-aid and juice. Asked frequently if he had to go.

Me: "Do you need to go pee-pee?"
DS: "No, but thank you for asking." Seriously. Who IS this kid and where did these manners come from??? :hysterical:

SIX hours later, he finally said he needed to go, so I rushed him to the potty. Sat there a little while, nothing. Let him get up. Go back out to the living room, see a small-ish pee spot on the carpet. :irked: Make DS help clean it up. Ask him again if he needs to go, he says yes. Take him to the potty. FINALLY, SUCCESS! :yay: (ok, so the first time, he TOTALLY missed the potty and sprayed me, but I don't even care). We got two pees on the potty, with a small accident in between.

I asked him again before bed if he needed to go, he said yes. Sat there. And sat there. And sat there. I read him a book. I set a timer. Nothing. Finally gave up, put him in cloth training pants for overnight and put him to bed.

Please tell me this is going to be better tomorrow.

I think I would have been happier if he had gone on the floor 17 times, if he just would pee on the potty, too. NINE hours to get our first pee in the potty? Really? And the sitting there and not going? :rolleyes: ARGH.

edurnemk
08-16-2009, 10:15 PM
DS: "No, but thank you for asking." Seriously. Who IS this kid and where did these manners come from??? :hysterical:

OMG :hysterical: I can't believe he'd say that. How cute is that?

I'm sorry, I have no advice or reassurance to offer, since I haven't done PT yet.

misshollygolightly
08-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Oh dear. All of these potty training horror stories have me pretty worried! But honestly, if my DS is as mannerly as yours is by that point, I think I'll be more inclined to overlook many floor piddles! I don't know how you kept a straight face when he thanked you "for asking" :ROTFLMAO: So cute!

LBW
08-17-2009, 08:06 AM
My 3-year old was/is like that. I swear he only goes pee two or three times a day. P/T was a bit difficult b/c he went so infrequently - if we missed a chance to pee on the potty, the next opportunity came up about 6 hours later!

Melaine
08-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Your Day 1 when about 10000 times better than our Day 1, if that helps. And the, "no, but thank you for asking" is hilarious!

elliput
08-17-2009, 10:48 AM
It's performance anxiety. I love the manners!:love-retry:

mom_hanna
08-17-2009, 11:29 AM
We have yet to get a single pee on the potty with ds. We have gone back to diapers for now as we were getting tired and frustrated and it was not setting up a positive environment for potty training!

BTW, did you do the Rattlesnake this weekend? I did the back-to-back. I thought it was great, other than the headwind coming back on the bike. I was going to pm you about meeting up but I forgot until I was driving there on Saturday morning. I might have seen you in the swim start and not have even known it!

Jennifer

tylersmama
08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, I did the Olympic on Saturday! I totally agree about the headwind...felt like uphill the whole way back in! I was bummed that I didn't get the necklace thing that was supposed to be in the finisher's bag...apparently they ran out. Don't know if it was random who got one, or if I was just too slow. :( Other than that, I had a really good race. I would have loved to have met up, this was my first race ever that I didn't know anybody at (which was ok, just a little weird)!

As for the potty training, we're trying the 3 day method today. A friend forwarded the e-book to me last night. Of course, he was soaked when I got him up and he hasn't gone again yet, nearly two hours later. :rolleyes: Of course, he's almost two cups of kool-aid in, so maybe that will change soon. :p

The manners are just KILLING me. Hilarious and frustrating all at once!

elephantmeg
08-17-2009, 12:41 PM
yeah our day 1 was like that. A YEAR later we are finally trained. I hope you have swifter luck!

frgsnlzrds
08-17-2009, 07:44 PM
It's tough, but hang in there. I am almost ready to declare success, and DS is 3 1/2+. What worked for us was a lot of naked time in the beginning and then bribes. The first day he got a little something every time he peed, the next week he had to fill in a good job card with 4 stickers to get a small prize, and 10 full cards got him a big playdough set. Now that he's pee trained, every time he poops on the potty he gets a sticker and ten stickers get him a matchobx set. No in between prizes, which he pitched a small fit over. But in the end he decided that wearing big boy undies was worth it, even if he didn't get presents. Good luck!

tylersmama
08-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Well, a friend emailed me the 3 day potty training method last night, and I tried it out today. It worked! Not perfect, but WAY WAY better! One accident this morning, when I put him in time-out, so that one was my fault. A little accident before naptime (and wet at naptime, but I'm not counting that). And then a little accident before bed, but his father had picked him up for dinner and he refused to use Daddy's potty apparently. In between that, many many pees in the potty. Hooray! Tomorrow will be a challenge, as we HAVE to get out of the house so I can get a run in. And of course, my kid only poops every 3-4 days, so we haven't even gotten close to broaching that one yet...