PDA

View Full Version : Sleep and nap suggestions for 2.5 month old

CharlotteMommy
08-16-2009, 09:30 PM
I want to start developing positive sleep habits for my 2.5 month old, and am not sure if we have done the best job so far. I understand that the Ferber method is quite effective, but not recommended until 4 months. What is best to do before the 4 month time frame? We currently put Dylan to bed after his last bottle (between 7:30 and 8:30). He is swaddled, given a pacifier, and then rocked to sleep. Is it ok to continue this until 4 months or should we be doing something else?

He is also a terrible napper throughout the day. I can tell when he is getting tired (yawning, droopy eyes, crankiness), but I have a really hard time putting him down for a nap. He usually falls asleep in my arms, and I move him to his bed or the bouncy seat, just for him to wake up five minutes later. Has anyone else experienced these poor napping tendencies with their little ones?

SnuggleBuggles
08-16-2009, 09:37 PM
Prior to 6m, I think the best thing to do is what works for you and your family and not worry about the rest. It sounds like you have a good thing going. 2.5mos are not developing "bad" habits. They are being cared for and loved.

Read up on the latest Ferber stuff. I think he is now saying 6m to start. Also consider checking out some Dr. Sears to try and get a different perspective on handling sleep. Take bits and pieces from what you read and just wing it. If you hit a stumbling block then address it. Know that in the 1st year there are so many physical and emotional milestones that may interfere with sleep. Just when you think you have it all worked out they start to crawl (and wake up through the night to practice) or they get their first tooth and just want you to make them feel better. Roll with those nights and take care of your little one. They won't be forever problems.

Neither of my boys started taking real naps, in their cribs, at predictable times till they were 5-6mo. I didn't expect ds2 to really nap any sooner b/c I had that experience. They tend to cat nap, sleep on the go and sleep after eating. Now isn't the time to worry about a nap routine. Follow his cues and in the coming months you will notice longer awake stretches and more predictable tired ones.

GL!
Beth

CharlotteMommy
08-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your encouragement and for sharing your experiences with your little ones. Makes me feel better to know that our experience is not unique, and that things will get more predictable down the road.