PDA

View Full Version : Best deal on Bare Minerals

poppy
08-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I've been meaning to try it... but I don't want to buy more make up I don't use. I saw an infomercial on it and they are selling it for $29.99 for a kit. Is that worth it or is it better to buy it in the store? Also, is it really natural or are there chemicals? TIA!

KarenLud
08-17-2009, 12:57 PM
I love Bare Minerals. I usually buy from sephora or the boutique because of the incentives. Sephora has insider points and the boutique offers a punch card (I think you get $10 off every $100). No chemicals but some people are irritated by the bismuth in the foundation and they just launched a new foundation (matte) without bismuth. In any case, a great forum to check out is http://www.mineralmadness.com Tons of great advice and there is a classifieds section there where people list stuff and you can get some really great deals. Especially nice if you are just starting out and don't want to spend a bunch of $$. GL!

Andi98989
08-17-2009, 01:00 PM
The kit is definitely the best way to get get started on it; it will come with brushes which those alone will cost more than the kit does. The kits do have limited choices for the foundations and they are a "starter" size and not full size. I ended up not being able use the foundation colors that come in a kit, but I still got one for all the other stuff that comes in it.

Not sure what area you are in, but some malls will have a Bare Escentuals (the makers of Bare Minerals) or Sephora store. Both will do a free demo of the make-up for you and will carry the kits.

Melbel
08-17-2009, 03:08 PM
I agree that the starter kit is a great way to try the product. During your birthday month, the Bare Escentuals store gives you 20% off IIRC. There was also a recent thread for free Matte samples with a brush for $1 shipping in the Bargain Alert forum.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=331260&highlight=bare

I not sure if this deal is still available. My samples arrived today.

brittone2
08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
To throw a twist at you, have you considered Everyday Minerals? Less expensive and they have a great starter kit...I think you just pay shipping for some nice samples. Lots of old threads here about EM...many BBB moms like their products (me included!).

I like that they don't nano-size their makeup particles (some concerns about health and safety of nanoparticles in makeup...my DH is chemist who works w/ nanoparticles FWIW). Bare Minerals (the last I checked) uses nanosized particles. (eta: I brought up the nanosized particles as you asked about safety. Not trying to be annoying. If you go to the EWG skin deep database, many bare minerals products actually aren't ranked very highly because of safety concerns. YMMV with how you feel about that. For me, I prefer the EM price and non-nanosized particles).

If you want to read up on nanoparticles here are some links:
http://www.ewg.org/node/21738

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/29/AR2008052902949.html

zukeypur
08-18-2009, 11:05 AM
PUR minerals is also a great alternative. I think it covers better than BM and Everyday Minerals. It comes compressed in a compaq. It's on sale B1G1 at ULTA until August 29. I picked up 2 yesterday, and I'm probably going back for 4 more today. I've never seen a B1G1 sale before on this stuff, and ULTA doesn't allow coupons on it so I'm jumping on this deal!

adaguillon
08-21-2009, 09:48 PM
PUR minerals is also a great alternative. I think it covers better than BM and Everyday Minerals. It comes compressed in a compaq. It's on sale B1G1 at ULTA until August 29. I picked up 2 yesterday, and I'm probably going back for 4 more today. I've never seen a B1G1 sale before on this stuff, and ULTA doesn't allow coupons on it so I'm jumping on this deal!

Thanks for the heads up. What a great deal! I got 2 today!

kozachka
08-22-2009, 08:49 AM
I would strongly recommend for you to try it in person if you can. I had a free demo in one of the Sephora stores and it did not look on me at all. It highlighed my not so small pores and was just sitting on top of my skin IYKWIM.

littlebethany
08-22-2009, 09:45 AM

Thank you so much I just picked some up! Great Deal! :)