PDA

View Full Version : best option for wearing newborn while taking care of toddler?

Melarina
08-18-2009, 02:18 PM
I need something not too pricey that is easy to put on by myself. We already have several front pack carriers (Bjorn, Pikkolo) and a Hotsling.

Do I want a Moby? a ring sling? a woven wrap?

DS is already over 8 pounds - would a Moby be worth the $? I hear that some folks find it is too stretchy as babies get bigger,

Any recs of specific carriers and/or places to purchase are appreciated!

hobie
08-18-2009, 03:23 PM
I love wraps for newborns, because they are so supportive, and the baby can be positioned in many differnt ways. They also feel more secure, and hands free, to me.

It is so easy to make your own DIY moby. All you need is 5 yards of knit fabric (100% cotton, no lycra)...like a heavy t-shirt. Cut the fabric down the middle length-wise, and you have 2 wraps! No need to hem the cut edges, because knit doesn't frey! If you are big, you may want a little longer than 5 yards, if petite, a bit less (you can always cut off excess fabric).

Osnaburg fabric is another option for a diy woven wrap, but you will need to hem the cut edges (loose threads can easily tangle in baby fingers and toes).

firsttimemama
08-18-2009, 03:23 PM
maybe moby or baby ktan

sunshine873
08-18-2009, 05:46 PM
I love the Baby K'Tan. My DD almost always falls asleep in the cradle hold, and now I can put her in the front hold when she's wide awake...she loves that too! Soon we'll be trying the hip hold, and I have a sneaking suspicion that will be popular with her too!

ang79
08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
I used my mei tais mostly with DD2. She would fall asleep almost instantly and I was able to nurse her in it as well. The two shoulder carry was very supportive and I like how you can easily retie if you need to adjust for nursing. When she was really tiny I froggied her legs inside the carrier, as she grew I started putting one leg out, one leg in, then scrunching the middle together so that both legs could be out (there are some brands that have a cinching feature, but you can do it yourself with a ribbon or hair band).

If I wanted something small to carry in the diaper bag or that was quicker to put on, I would put her in a a cradle hold in a fitted pouch.

luli13
08-26-2009, 12:22 PM
I used my mei tais mostly with DD2. She would fall asleep almost instantly and I was able to nurse her in it as well. The two shoulder carry was very supportive and I like how you can easily retie if you need to adjust for nursing. When she was really tiny I froggied her legs inside the carrier, as she grew I started putting one leg out, one leg in, then scrunching the middle together so that both legs could be out (there are some brands that have a cinching feature, but you can do it yourself with a ribbon or hair band).

If I wanted something small to carry in the diaper bag or that was quicker to put on, I would put her in a a cradle hold in a fitted pouch.

:yeahthat:

maestramommy
09-01-2009, 01:40 PM
I have an Ellaroo meitai, a Moby-like wrap, and a Storchenwiege wrap. I have used all three on Laurel while taking care of the other two. The two-shouldered config was a must early on because I ended up with a knot in my deltoid muscle (probably bad positioning while bfing). Most of the time I used the Storch because 1) it was much more supportive, not being stretchy. Even if I wrapped it rather sloppily, it wouldn't sag, and 2) on the occasions where I absolutely needed a back carry, it's an obvious choice.

Now that Laurel is bigger though, I am using the meitai for back carries. She is able to sit legs out in that carrier if I scrunch the panel in a little. I couldn't do it with a bigger model, like a Kozy or Babyhawk. The meitai is a lot easier to get Laurel on my back in a hurry, and less things can go wrong, which is important when I'm in a parking lot!

smudgiebaby
09-16-2009, 06:18 PM
I bought a HS but did not care for it. If i were to get an ellaroo hip would that be like getting the same thing? help! I now have a BJair but baby girl will grow out of it soon! I was looking at the ellaroo hip but not sure if I'd like it...anyone?

cono0507
09-16-2009, 06:37 PM
I used the Moby for about 4-6 weeks but once DD had developed some head control I loved the Maya ring sling and the KKAFP. I used the ring sling and KKAFP for the next year or so. Loved them!

hobie
09-17-2009, 11:44 AM
The moby feels the most hands free secure with a newborn for me.

You can also make your own DIY moby...with no sewing! All you need is 5 yds of knit fabric (100% cotton, NO lycra or rib knit), and cut it down the middle length ways. No sewing, because knit doesn't frey.