PDA

View Full Version : My @$$ hurts so bad!

ha98ed14
08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
Gaye said it would hurt. But OMG. My sits bones are poking through by fleshy back side and it hurts! Today I biked halfway to the U without a trailer, and I thought I was going to die. I want to give up, and I don't even have a trailer. But somehow I know that because I want to give up is the exact reason I can't. Gaye, I am most grateful for the warning because I think I would have rushed out to replace the seat, but at least now I will wait and see if my backside numbs up!

MontrealMum
08-18-2009, 03:58 PM
:hug: It does get better, I promise! If I were you I'd take a day or two off, and then force yourself to go again. You do need to go again soonish, or you'l start the cycle of pain all over :( It will probably still hurt a bit, but you need to get that "area" used to the pressure. Also, I have sometimes worn two pairs of bike shorts to lessen the pain - don't know if it worked, maybe it was psycological. Did you buy some gloves? Your hands can get sore too and any basic pair of gloves can really help. Mine are Louis Garneau, but there are lots of options that aren't terribly expensive.

MamaMolly
08-18-2009, 03:58 PM
:ROTFLMAO: reminds me of when I was in college and decided to bike to class. Once. It wasn't my sit-bones that hurt, it was my woo-woo. OUCHIE! Hope you feel better soon.

MontrealMum
08-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Also, if there is chafing, you can buy this stuff that is NOT astroglide...sorry, that's close to the name, and all that pops into my head at the moment! DH uses it because men are a little more sensitive to the cycling process. Anyways, I will ask him when he gets home.

ETA: found it: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Product_10053_10052_122374_-1___ That's the brand DH uses. If you go to Nashbar.com and enter "chafing" in the search box there are several similar products.

tylersmama
08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
They also make a product called chamois butter, but I've never felt the need for it. I don't really get chafing...just make sure no undies under bike shorts. I do use body glide for my thighs for running, though!

Hang in there! And if it *doesn't* get better, it's totally ok to replace the seat. Sometimes the seat just doesn't fit your body very well. Just don't get one of those giant, squishy gel seats, they're not worth it! I speak from experience!

MMEand1
08-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Also, if there is chafing, you can buy this stuff that is NOT astroglide...sorry, that's close to the name, and all that pops into my head at the moment! DH uses it because men are a little more sensitive to the cycling process. Anyways, I will ask him when he gets home.

ETA: found it: http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//Product_10053_10052_122374_-1___ That's the brand DH uses. If you go to Nashbar.com and enter "chafing" in the search box there are several similar products.

Are you talking about BodyGlide? My DH used that when he would chafe and it worked wonders! It looks like a little thing of deodorant.

Sorry you are in pain, but I think this is one of those things that you just have to work through!! Good Luck!! You are doing something wonderful for you and your family!!

Carrots
08-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Gaye said it would hurt. But OMG. My sits bones are poking through by fleshy back side and it hurts! Today I biked halfway to the U without a trailer, and I thought I was going to die. I want to give up, and I don't even have a trailer. But somehow I know that because I want to give up is the exact reason I can't. Gaye, I am most grateful for the warning because I think I would have rushed out to replace the seat, but at least now I will wait and see if my backside numbs up!

Oh, I know how you feel. I hadn't been on a bike in a while and went to stay with my uncle in NYC a few years ago. He lives on the Upper West Side and I rented a bike so we could enjoy the bike path along the Hudson. We biked down to Battery Park and stopped for lunch in Village. That was when I realized I was in trouble. I had a major case of Bicycle butt!!!!! I had to ride standing up the rest of the way back. I was a mess for the rest of the weekend.

I am about to install a child seat on the back of my bike and am not looking forward to the bicycle butt again, but it goes away. :)

Keep riding! :)

kijip
08-18-2009, 09:52 PM
It goes away faster than you might think if you keep with it.
:yay: to you for the test ride and keep it up. :cheerleader1:

Dyonia
08-19-2009, 02:59 AM
Oh my! It will definitely get better, but that may take a little bit. I agree with Katie that it goes away if you keep up with it -- don't wait too long to get back on.

If I were in your shoes and going to be riding my bike with the frequency that you will, I would invest a decent quality, female anatomy-friendly seat. There several mamas on the board who cycle regularly, and hopefully one of them will recommend a good bicycle seat to look at. I've been out of the loop too long to have a good suggestion.

Major kudos to you :cheerleader1: keep it up!

--Donna

jal
08-19-2009, 10:12 AM
It will get better... even if you only bicycle once a week, so long as you ride every week, your body will adapt. I like to bicycle during the summer as my form of excersize, and that's one of the things I have to go through each year.

ha98ed14
08-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Today was day 2 of the bike commute. My butt hurt less than it did on Tuesday, so that gave me hope. Next week is the first full week of classes and daycare, so that will be the first time I have to tow DD behind me. Hopefully, if I get on the bike this weekend, I will numb up before next week! Thanks for all the encouragement. I thought about all your positive messages today when I was cycling past all the young, fit college students and it made me keep pedaling...

newg
08-20-2009, 04:10 PM
DH uses Noxema instead of the other "bike" butters......he says it works just as well, easier to get, and tons cheaper........baby powder too....
Good luck and major kudos for sticking with it!!!

tylersmama
08-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Hooray! I'm glad today was better! It really doesn't take that long if you do it regularly. :D

LBW
08-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Yay! I'll be spending a lot of time on my bike next week, and I'm not looking forward to the first couple of days. But, it's soooo worth it!

MontrealMum
08-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Congrats! It really doesn't take too long to build up some toughness there. You just have to be persistent those first few times and fight through the pain. It's a great time to be starting too, going in to fall when the weather is cooler (at least here it is!)