PDA

View Full Version : Can we have an official Facebook for Dummies thread?

Fairy
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't want to make the BBB the unofficial Facebook helpdesk, but I have another question and thought maybe I should resurrect this thread for it. Got a question? Ask it and I'll try to update this like I did before. Common FAQs here in the OP.

================================================== ===============

HELPFUL TIPS & TRICKS

"Avoiding Facebook Disasters" article from PC World magazine
http://www.pcworld.com/article/16706...disasters.html

Fine-tuning your privacy settings:
http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/
http://www.sophos.com/security/best-.../facebook.html

QUESTIONS NEEDING ANSWERS

I never click on those "Facebook Ads" on the right side. However, one popped out at me. The "Search Yourself" ad at the very top sometimes has photos, and I just don't pay attn, but this one had a photo that looks *exactly* like my ex-boyfriend whom I've been worried might try to find me and was one of the reasons I chose not to join FB at first. My questions are these:

* Does this application target my user ID with the searches it knows about and give me the photo of the person who is searching me?

* Does this mean that if I've searched for him, which I have so I can block him if I find him, that he can see me just the same?

* When I click on the link to find out who's searching for me, it tells me 2 females, 3 males, and makes me register at www.mylife.com. I researched them, and they're seedy/scamy, here's the review link (http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/just-say-no-to-mylifecom/). I can give them a dummy email address, but the question is do I want to? I think I don't. I'm deeply distrusting of these sites. Anyone do this already or know anything about them. The only reason I care is cuz I want to block this guy.

I know that the official FB line is that they do not have a way to show you howse visited your profile or searched for you. Doesn't mean other apps don't. Thoughts?

ANSWERED QUESTIONS

Q. Can I unfriend someone without them actively knowing I unfriended them?
A. Yes. You will no longer show up in their feed or friend list, but they won't be sent a notification specifically telling them they've been unfriended. That doesn't mean they won't notice, though.

Q. Can I post something but arrange it so that one of my FB friends can NOT see the posting?
A. Yes. You can go into your privacy settings and allow certain friends access to only your limited profile. When you post photos it gives you the option of customizing it every time. I don't know if notes/statuses/links work the same way...I think those have to be done through the privacy settings. Be advised that the default setting for photos is to allow ANYONE access to them if the user is in your network or on your friends' friends lists. You have to manually change that option to "friends only" or "certain friends" each time.

Q. What does it mean when these applications (like the birthday card one) says it needs access to your info and that of your friends, etc.? Help me understand that.
A. It needs to be able to have access to your account in order to save your information in the app, publish in your news feed and friends' feeds, send scores to friends, etc. I generally only use apps with reputable authors, so I feel more secure.

Q. When creating a photo album/adding photos, do you need to "publish" them and then tag/edit/add captions? Or can I do all the tagging/editing, and then hit publish?
You can tag/edit/caption before publishing.

Q: If I untag myself in someone else's photo, will they get a notification in their feed that I untagged it?
No. I had a friend do that because she hated the picture, but I noticed she did it when going through pics.

Q: If you have deleted a friend can you get them back as a friend? How?
I think one of you has to request the other back and accept.

Q. If someone friend's you, and you decline, will they get a notification that they were denied? What happens?
You will just disappear from their pending request list-- no notification will be sent. Another option is to block someone that sends you a friend request. This will mean they won't be able to search for you and send another friend request.

Q. Can you revoke a friend request?
Yes, you can revoke friend request. Go to your Friends list. On the right side is an X. It will delete your request.

Q. What does it mean when a name shows up black (not clickable) vs. blue? Is it their privacy settings or does it mean I've been blocked?
That's due to their privacy settings. Some people choose the option of not letting people send them messages, friend requests, or seeing any of their info (networks) except their name and picture (in a search). If you had been blocked you would not be able to see them at all.

Q. How do I remove "noisy" facebook friends (who post alot of stuff I see as "clutter") from my Wall News Feed without unfriending them?
If you hover over one of their posts on your wall, you'll see "Hide" to the right. Click on it, and you can hide their posts from your feed. They're still your friend, but they're on mute. (Ahh, blessed silence.) You can also Hide particular feeds, like Mafia Wars, which applies to all Friends participating in them. More details here, including how to reverse "hiding" --> http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/...oes-unnoticed/

Q. If someone who is not my FB friend sends me a message through facebook and I want to reply (but I'm not going to friend them), what will that person be able to see on my profile, wall, etc.?
I depends on your settings, but 'limited profile' will likely be visible to this non-friend.

Q. How can I ensure that my name does not pop up as one of my friend's FB friends in a Google search on their name?
Go into "Privacy Settings" and click on "Search". Look to see what you have selected as your "search visibility." Who can see you - on FB, or on Google - depends on this. If you've chosen "everyone," then anyone could see your name in the google search (I think they have to have a FB account to see an entire friends list though). If you've chosen something more restrictive like "my networks and friends," then if the person doing the googling is in your network, they can see you. If they aren't, they shouldn't be able to. And so on and so forth for all the settings.

How do you know which FB applications have "reputable" authors?
It is probably difficult to measure the reputation of application authors, but this might be helpful. It will at least show you which apps/developers are the most popular --> http://statistics.allfacebook.com/applications

marie
08-20-2009, 01:57 PM
may I add a question?

Q. When creating a photo album/adding photos, do you need to "publish" them and then tag/edit/add captions? Or can I do all the tagging/editing, and then hit publish?
(This AM I edited/tagged/captioned, hit publish and then none of the stuff I added was there, just the pics - FB fluke or just how it works?)

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

megs4413
08-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Q. Can I unfriend someone without them actively knowing I unfriended them?

A. Yes. You will no longer show up in their feed or friend list, but they won't be sent a notification specifically telling them they've been unfriended. That doesn't mean they won't notice, though.

Q. Can I post something but arrange it so that one of my FB friends can NOT see the posting?

A. Yes. You can go into your privacy settings and allow certain friends access to only your limited profile. When you post photos it gives you the option of customizing it every time. I don't know if notes/statuses/links work the same way...I think those have to be done through the privacy settings. Be advised that the default setting for photos is to allow ANYONE access to them if the user is in your network or on your friends' friends lists. You have to manually change that option to "friends only" or "certain friends" each time.

Q. What does it mean when these applications (like the birthday card one) says it needs access to your info and that of your friends, etc.? Help me understand that.

A. It needs to be able to have access to your account in order to save your information in the app, publish in your news feed and friends' feeds, send scores to friends, etc. I generally only use apps with reputable authors, so I feel more secure.

HTH!

megs4413
08-20-2009, 02:17 PM
(This AM I edited/tagged/captioned, hit publish and then none of the stuff I added was there, just the pics - FB fluke or just how it works?)

you can tag/edit/caption before publishing. :) I'm not sure what went wrong for you this morning, maybe you didn't save before you hit publish?

lovebeingamom
08-20-2009, 02:25 PM

Fairy
08-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I will give this attention and update the first post every time I see it's been updated! But check back in the interim to see if the answer is in the subsequent responses in between!

Thank you to all the folks helping here!

catsnkid
08-20-2009, 03:38 PM
QUESTIONS NEEDING ANSWERS

[COLOR="Red"]
Q: If I untag myself in someone else's photo, will they get a notification in their feed that I untagged it?

No. I had a friend do that because she hated the picture, but I noticed she did it when going through pics.

I think one of you has to request the other back and accept.

Fairy
08-20-2009, 04:24 PM
New question.

Q. If someone friend's you, and you say no or "do not accept" or whatever the official not accepting it is, will they get a notification that they were denied, or will they just always have "friend request pending" under their friends list?

boolady
08-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Wow. This thread is really timely. Thanks, Fairy.

If you get an email saying someone "added you as a friend," and to follow the link below to confirm, but then when you follow the link and sign in and there is no new friend request there, what happened? Did they seek to friend me, then change her mind, or did I screw something up?

missym
08-20-2009, 04:38 PM
Here are a couple of links with helpful info about fine-tuning your privacy settings:

http://www.allfacebook.com/2009/02/facebook-privacy/

http://www.sophos.com/security/best-practice/facebook.html

Snow mom
08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
New question.

Q. If someone friend's you, and you say no or "do not accept" or whatever the official not accepting it is, will they get a notification that they were denied, or will they just always have "friend request pending" under their friends list?

Neither, actually. You will just disappear from their pending request list-- no notification will be sent. Another option is to block someone that sends you a friend request. This will mean they won't be able to search for you and send another friend request.

Wow. This thread is really timely. Thanks, Fairy.

If you get an email saying someone "added you as a friend," and to follow the link below to confirm, but then when you follow the link and sign in and there is no new friend request there, what happened? Did they seek to friend me, then change her mind, or did I screw something up?

Not entirely sure but I don't think you can revoke friend requests. Once you've sent it the person has the option of accepting or declining but you can't get rid of them until they accept.

BillK
08-20-2009, 04:50 PM
There was a "Avoiding Facebook Disasters" article in a recent PC World magazine. Here's a link to the online version of that article:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/167060/avoid_facebook_disasters.html

kransden
08-20-2009, 05:18 PM
Sure you can revoke friend request. Go to your Friends list. On the right side is an X. It will delete your request. No big deal.

hellokitty
08-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Q. What does it mean when a name shows up black (not clickable) vs. blue? Is it their privacy settings or does it mean I've been blocked?

MontrealMum
08-20-2009, 07:26 PM

That's due to their privacy settings. Some people choose the option of not letting people send them messages, friend requests, or seeing any of their info (networks) except their name and picture (in a search).

If you had been blocked you would not be able to see them at all.

MontrealMum
08-20-2009, 08:07 PM
BTW, thanks for starting this, and everyone for all the tips! I am now responsible for both my, and my dad's FB account (argh!), so it's good to have a refresher as to which settings to choose, and why.

Fairy
08-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Yes, thank you to everyone sharing their answers and tips & tricks! I'm a newbie on FB and really paranoid cuz FB & Privacy Nut don't mix well. But I do want to be there, so, THANKS!

missym
08-21-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh, I am so happy I figured this out today! I might actually log in to FB more often now that I don't have to read everyone's Mafia Wars updates and every time my one friend from years ago uses the toilet. :hysterical:

Q. How do I remove "noisy" facebook friends from my Wall News Feed without unfriending them?

A. If you hover over one of their posts on your wall, you'll see "Hide" to the right. Click on it, and you can hide their posts from your feed. They're still your friend, but they're on mute. (Ahh, blessed silence.) You can also Hide particular feeds, like Mafia Wars, which applies to all Friends participating in them.

More details here, including how to reverse "hiding":
http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/on-facebook-no-unfriending-goes-unnoticed/

Now when FB comes up with a way to make a particular friend's Wall posts visible only to me and that person, I'll jump for joy.

kristenk
08-21-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a question. Someone recently sent me a friend request. I ignored it. He sent me a message through facebook. I'd like to reply (b/c not replying makes the too-quickly-decided-ignore seem more of a big deal than it really is), but I don't want my reply to enable him to see any of my info.

If I reply to a message from a non-friend, what will he be able to see on my profile/wall/whatever?

GraceH
08-21-2009, 11:38 PM
I have a question. Someone recently sent me a friend request. I ignored it. He sent me a message through facebook. I'd like to reply (b/c not replying makes the too-quickly-decided-ignore seem more of a big deal than it really is), but I don't want my reply to enable him to see any of my info.

If I reply to a message from a non-friend, what will he be able to see on my profile/wall/whatever?

I think it depends on your settings, but I've found that the 'limited profile' is then visible to the non-friend.

jgenie
08-22-2009, 04:56 PM
After reading some of these posts I googled a few people and was able to find their Facebook pages from Google. I was also able to see who some of their friends are. If I have my settings set to super private and I friend someone that can be found on Google, is it likely that my name will pop up as one of their friends in a Google search? TIA

MontrealMum
08-22-2009, 08:00 PM
After reading some of these posts I googled a few people and was able to find their Facebook pages from Google. I was also able to see who some of their friends are. If I have my settings set to super private and I friend someone that can be found on Google, is it likely that my name will pop up as one of their friends in a Google search? TIA

AFAIK, this is how that works...

Go into "Privacy Settings" and click on "Search". Look to see what you have selected as your "search visibility". Who can see you - on FB, or on Google - depends on this. If you've chosen "everyone", then anyone could see your name in the google search (I think they have to have a FB account to see an entire friends list though). If you've chosen something more restrictive like "my networks and friends", then if the person doing the googling is in your network, they can see you. If they aren't, they shouldn't be able to. And so on and so forth for all the settings.

inmypjs
08-22-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm not a facebook user, but my DH just signed up. Can someone summarize some of the "must know" privacy features and settings for a new user?

jent
08-22-2009, 09:19 PM

How do you know which apps have reputable authors?

Fairy
08-25-2009, 06:10 PM
Bump..................

missym
08-26-2009, 12:10 PM
How do you know which apps have reputable authors?

This might be helpful, it will at least show you which apps/developers are the most popular:
http://statistics.allfacebook.com/applications

kristenk
08-26-2009, 01:11 PM
I think it depends on your settings, but I've found that the 'limited profile' is then visible to the non-friend.

What is the limited profile?

Fairy
08-26-2009, 04:47 PM
What is the limited profile?

I am pretty sure a "limited profile" is when some of your profile is visible, like your name, photo, hometown, and friends, but the rest of it, like your "info" tab and "photos" are not. Someone pipe in if I'm not entirely right, here.

marie
08-31-2009, 08:55 AM
NY Times article from 8/27 re: the information that you put out there when you OR YOUR FRIENDS do quizzes.

http://www.nytimes.com/external/readwriteweb/2009/08/27/27readwriteweb-what-facebook-quizzes-know-about-you-75429.html

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

mommylamb
08-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Ok- question for all you FB experts...

A while ago, a girl from my high school friended me. We were never good friends (barely knew each other) in high school, but I accepted. Then about a month ago, she disappeared from my friends list, so I figured she had deleted me as a friend because maybe she was going through her list and culling the people she didn't actually know. I wasn't offended at all, as I was really surprised she friended me in the first place. Now all of a sudden, she's back on my friends list. What happened?

marie
08-31-2009, 09:38 AM

A while ago, a girl from my high school friended me. We were never good friends (barely knew each other) in high school, but I accepted. Then about a month ago, she disappeared from my friends list, so I figured she had deleted me as a friend because maybe she was going through her list and culling the people she didn't actually know. I wasn't offended at all, as I was really surprised she friended me in the first place. Now all of a sudden, she's back on my friends list. What happened?

When I first joined FB, I looked for "Susie" who I figured would be on FB and couldn't find her. A mutual friend insisted that "Susie" was absolutely on FB. Turns out "Susie" had recently gone through the interview process for a new job and totally went underground. Also, sometimes people just get sick of "doing" FB and drop out for awhile.

marie
mama to
DD1 9/03
DD2 12/07

MontrealMum
08-31-2009, 02:00 PM

Here's my guess:
My dad joined FB sometime around last Dec., and "friended" me - for a total of 1 friend. Then I had a discussion w/him about privacy, which scared the bejesus out of him, and he overreacted and "deleted" his account; he disappeared from my friends list. In July he decided to become a member again because some of his friends are now on, and suddenly one day he appeared on my friends list. No "friending", no notice, no nothing on my account's side...because we'd been friends before, it was automatic. So my guess is not that she unfriended you, but that she deleted the account, and then rethought that decision.

SnuggleBuggles
09-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Ah, this thread answered my question. I had 13 friend requests pending and now only have 12. I guess someone revoked their request. No idea which person it was either. Ah well. I have had people on that list for months because I couldn't decide if I wanted to ignore or confirm.

I guess I had been wondering if requests ever expire? Or is the only way for them to vanish is by the other person revoking it?

Beth

goldenpig
09-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Here's another question. I posted an album of pictures of my daughter on Facebook and set the privacy settings to "Only Friends" can see the album. But then one of my friends then posted this album to her wall, so now all of her friends (and who knows who else) can see the album. How is this possible and how can I restrict this (what's the point of privacy settings if they don't work)? I see there's something on the bottom of the album page that says "Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=....", maybe that's how she was able to link the album on her wall. But how do I get rid of this? Once she has posted the photos to her wall, am I out of luck?

Fairy
09-11-2009, 11:39 AM
I will get this thread updated by EOD!

srhs
10-20-2009, 02:33 PM
Here's another question. I posted an album of pictures of my daughter on Facebook and set the privacy settings to "Only Friends" can see the album. But then one of my friends then posted this album to her wall, so now all of her friends (and who knows who else) can see the album. How is this possible and how can I restrict this (what's the point of privacy settings if they don't work)? I see there's something on the bottom of the album page that says "Share this album with anyone by sending them this public link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=....", maybe that's how she was able to link the album on her wall. But how do I get rid of this? Once she has posted the photos to her wall, am I out of luck?
I basically have the same question. I have my photo privacy settings STRICT but then someone goes and "links" to my album on their page. :irked: So I assume this trumps my settings and now everyone who can view their page can view my album??? Can I remove this option?

hellokitty
10-20-2009, 04:31 PM
OK, new question. How do you, "friend" someone if both you and the other person have your privacy settings super high? I have a friend who wants to add me to her FB and I want to add her to my FB. However, ours security settings are so high, that neither one of us comes up on a search. Is there any way around this, other than one of us decreasing our security settings?

jent
10-20-2009, 09:58 PM
OK, new question. How do you, "friend" someone if both you and the other person have your privacy settings super high? I have a friend who wants to add me to her FB and I want to add her to my FB. However, ours security settings are so high, that neither one of us comes up on a search. Is there any way around this, other than one of us decreasing our security settings?

I am by no means an expert, but I know FB can search by email address. If you know each other's email address, can you try inputing that?

Fairy
01-15-2010, 01:30 PM
I have a new question, which is in the OP. It is the following -->

I never click on those "Facebook Ads" on the right side. However, one popped out at me this morning. The "Search Yourself" ad at the very top sometimes has photos, and I just don't pay attn, but this one had a photo that looks *exactly* like my ex-boyfriend whom I've been worried might try to find me and was one of the reasons I chose not to join FB at first. My questions are these:

* Does this application target my user ID with the searches it knows about and give me the photo of the person who is searching me?

* Does this mean that if I've searched for him, which I have so I can block him if I find him, that he can see me just the same?

* When I click on the link to find out who's searching for me, it tells me 2 females, 3 males, and makes me register at www.mylife.com. I researched it, and it's seedy/scamy, here's the review, stay away from them (http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/just-say-no-to-mylifecom/). I can give them a dummy email address, but the question is do I want to? I don't think so. I'm deeply distrusting of these sites. Anyone do this already or know anything about this or the ones like it? The only reason I care at all is cuz if this site is giving me this guy as someone who searched for me, then I really want to know and find him and block him. I've already tried recently, and I can't find him on FB.

I know that the official FB line is that they do not have a way to show you howse visited your profile or searched for you. Doesn't mean other apps don't. Thoughts?

MontrealMum
01-15-2010, 03:29 PM
I have a new question, which is in the OP. It is the following -->

I never click on those "Facebook Ads" on the right side. However, one popped out at me this morning. The "Search Yourself" ad at the very top sometimes has photos, and I just don't pay attn, but this one had a photo that looks *exactly* like my ex-boyfriend whom I've been worried might try to find me and was one of the reasons I chose not to join FB at first. My questions are these:

* When I click on the link to find out who's searching for me, it tells me 2 females, 3 males, and makes me register at www.mylife.com. I researched it, and it's seedy/scamy, here's the review, stay away from them (http://techpaul.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/just-say-no-to-mylifecom/). I can give them a dummy email address, but the question is do I want to? I don't think so. I'm deeply distrusting of these sites. Anyone do this already or know anything about this or the ones like it? The only reason I care at all is cuz if this site is giving me this guy as someone who searched for me, then I really want to know and find him and block him. I've already tried recently, and I can't find him on FB.

Ok, this is mostly conjecture, but here it goes...

Those Ads are using your FB info to "profile" you. Which is why we women keep getting breast enhancement or weight loss ones. 'Cause we all need to be thinner and bustier :( That's also why they promote things in your own city (townhouse developments, restaurants, etc.)

I am guessing that this "who's searching for you app" works somewhat like this, but also like the old friend prompt thing used to. You know, it took people off your friends' friends list (confusing, eh?), and prompted you to friend them?

I don't have a lot of apps installed, and use them rarely, but one in particular has lately been prompting me to send gifts (w'in the app) to various, random people on my friend list. Like "Lisa doesn't have a pumpkin. Why don't you send her one?" And, the reason Lisa doesn't have it is that she doesn't have that particular app installed! And I know it. It's quite misleading.

So, back to the above, apps pull limited info about the people on your friends lists (whether you've got them installed or not). My bet is that one of your friends is friends with the stalker-guy, and this app sees that (but doesn't know he's your ex). And is offering up random names of people including him telling you they've searched for you - when they probably haven't - just to get you to add it. I wouldn't do it. And I would go in and put him on my block list.

ETA: reading the blog, it sounds like another way it found out about you is from an automatic downloading of one of your friends email/contacts list? Do you use the same email for FB and for personal or professional use?

Fairy
01-15-2010, 03:39 PM
I do use my primary personal email for my FB email, but I am nearly sure that not one of my friends would have this guy as their friend. I could be wrong, tho. I thought it might have something to do with me having searched for him in the past. Since it can't know my intentions with the search, it wouldn't know that I don't want this guy to be a friend. I haven't found him on FB at thist ime, so I'm not sure what to put in as the blocked name. But maybe I should just put his name in and hope for the best. Ugh.

MontrealMum
01-15-2010, 03:52 PM
One thing I really do regret about FB is having registered with my primary email. I think that automatic downloading of contacts when someone first joins (which I stopped the program from doing) is a big problem. Not everyone stops the program from doing it, so then if they have your email, so does FB and if they're the same as your account email, it knows that.

I don't know what to tell you about finding people to block. I've been able to easily find and block most of the people I wanted too, but I had a heck of a time finding one of my exes (common name), there were just too many to sort through to block - like 500 or some odd thing. I tried to filter it but that depends on the person actually having put they're an alum of somewhere. The inability to search and filter properly drove the librarian in my nutso.

I periodically check the friends lists of people we know mutually, but at this point I figure I'll just hit ignore then block immediately if he ever sends a friend request. FB has removed the regional network function lately, so at least he won't be able to see which city you live in.

Fairy
01-15-2010, 06:29 PM
One thing I really do regret about FB is having registered with my primary email. I think that automatic downloading of contacts when someone first joins (which I stopped the program from doing) is a big problem. Not everyone stops the program from doing it, so then if they have your email, so does FB and if they're the same as your account email, it knows that.

Er ... how do I do that?

MontrealMum
01-15-2010, 08:21 PM
The very first time you log onto to FB while setting up your account it automatically opens your email program and begins downloading your contacts. There's a button on the window that tells you it's doing this where you can hit cancel. So, I did. But it happens pretty fast. I think it's too late now though :( I wasn't too keen on it having my prof's email, the gov't email for citizenship apps, or the customer service email for Jcrew or so many other random things.

alien_host
06-28-2010, 02:26 PM
So is it better to have a FB account using a g-mail or yahoo account that doesn't have any "contacts" in the address book....is it harder for people who only know your personal e-mail account to track you down this way?

I don't want the mass mailing going to my contacts and I have another account that I use for on-line purchases etc....that people I know don't really use for e-mailing me etc.

Thoughts?

SnuggleBuggles
06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
I just chose not to allow it access to my address book. I seek people out through other connections. I don't like the idea of going through any of my email addresses for this purpose.

BEth

MontrealMum
06-28-2010, 02:45 PM
The reason for not going with your personal primary email is twofold. As Beth said, you can choose not to allow FB to download all your "contacts" from whatever email account you joined with (I did do that). So you have a bit of control over that if you're carefully reading all the windows while you're in the process of joining.

But FB has several ways to search for people (once you're a member). By name, by work or college/university affiliation, and by email. So, if people know the email you joined under (because it's your primary one), they can type it into the search box and find you. IF you don't have them blocked, and IF your settings aren't up super high. If you're not publically searchable they won't be able to find you this way, but it's just another layer of protection, KWIM?

Fairy
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
What I want to know is why I'm getting things in my feed that say one of my FB friends commented on one of HER FB friend's status when that person is not my FB friend. I have no clue who this is and don't want it in my feed.

purpleeyes
06-28-2010, 10:26 PM
What I want to know is why I'm getting things in my feed that say one of my FB friends commented on one of HER FB friend's status when that person is not my FB friend. I have no clue who this is and don't want it in my feed.

This type of thing appears in my 'Top News' view. If I click on 'Most Recent', view, I don't see these type of posts.

I don't know if there is a way to get rid of it on the most recent feed, though. I wonder if there is a place to designate *what* you want to see.