PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the Keen Time Out Pad

ang79
08-22-2009, 01:46 PM
These are the daily deal at BabyHalfOff today, looks like it would be easy to use and make time outs much easier to do/easier for child to focus on the time out as well. Is it worth my $20? Currently my almost 3 yr. old will not sit in one spot for time out unless I am holding her there. I've tried designating a specific chair both in the living room and her bedroom but she just gets up and plays with nearby toys.

Melaine
08-22-2009, 01:54 PM
I saw these for $20 at TJ Maxx. I think it's a pretty good idea really. I especially like the portability factor.

ang79
08-22-2009, 03:17 PM
I saw these for $20 at TJ Maxx. I think it's a pretty good idea really. I especially like the portability factor.

Wow, my TJ never has anything neat :(
I showed it to DH and he said "Why can't you just use a little rug or chair we already have?" He so didn't get the point of the timer, lights, etc.!

Melaine
08-22-2009, 04:15 PM
There are little round time-out rugs like this that I also think might help:
http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Products-Take-Out-Time/dp/B000KD7X02/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1250972014&sr=8-2

I sort of imagine my children thinking the time out itself was some kind of game though, with the Keen Pad. I can see them fighting over who gets to use it...

gatorsmom
08-22-2009, 04:31 PM
I never used a specific matt or seat for time out. Our ped taught me this and it has really worked for my 2 older boys. When they need a time out, I take any chair or spot and sit them in it and then set the timer on my watch. I let them know why they are there (they usually know- they get a warning before they are put into a time-out so it's rarely a surprise) and if they don't stay sitting, I sit next to them and keep them there. If they are really throwing a fit, I'll sit on the chair and hold them there on my lap while they are wiggling until the timer on my watch goes off. This works where ever we are- whether it is at Target, a restaurant, whatever. In fact, when we are at a restaurant, if they are getting a warning while sitting in a booth, I scoot their butts over an inch and say, "there, you are now in a timeout" and then I take their toys away and they know not to misbehave.

This works well for us. If you designated a specific matt then you'd have to take that matt with you for time-outs away from home, I'd think.

DietCokeLover
08-22-2009, 05:40 PM
I never used a specific matt or seat for time out. Our ped taught me this and it has really worked for my 2 older boys. When they need a time out, I take any chair or spot and sit them in it and then set the timer on my watch. I let them know why they are there (they usually know- they get a warning before they are put into a time-out so it's rarely a surprise) and if they don't stay sitting, I sit next to them and keep them there. If they are really throwing a fit, I'll sit on the chair and hold them there on my lap while they are wiggling until the timer on my watch goes off. This works where ever we are- whether it is at Target, a restaurant, whatever. In fact, when we are at a restaurant, if they are getting a warning while sitting in a booth, I scoot their butts over an inch and say, "there, you are now in a timeout" and then I take their toys away and they know not to misbehave.

This works well for us. If you designated a specific matt then you'd have to take that matt with you for time-outs away from home, I'd think.

This is pretty much what we do as well. I don't think I'd like having a specific mat. I like the idea that time out can happen anywhere without being dependent on a specific object.

hellokitty
08-22-2009, 06:22 PM
I sort of imagine my children thinking the time out itself was some kind of game though, with the Keen Pad. I can see them fighting over who gets to use it...

:yeahthat:

We just do time out in an empty corner of our dinette area. If I had my kids sit on a chair or rug... well, they would probably throw it. So, I prefer to go the easiest, most low damage way possible.

littlebethany
08-22-2009, 10:31 PM
There are little round time-out rugs like this that I also think might help:
http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Products-Take-Out-Time/dp/B000KD7X02/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1250972014&sr=8-2

I agree with you, I imagine my children acting the same way down the road.. Anyone have any success with one of these?