PDA

View Full Version : x-post: Clothing for Kindy?

bubbaray
08-22-2009, 03:52 PM
I am x-posting this in the Lounge b/c I desperately need to finish this up this weekend. I'm headed to two local malls today and tomorrow. Stores include Old Navy, Gap, AE (not sure their sizes though), Gymbo, TCP, etc.

I'm assuming that clothing for K is not hugely different than for daycare?? No uniforms or dress code at our school. The only things they requested were a change of clothes to be left at school for accidents as well as a spare pair of running shoes.

DD#1 wears SR (black) maryjanes and NB runners -- will be getting new of those soon (current runners still fit, d/n think the SRs do though). I'll grab a cheapo pair of runners for school, not leaving a NB pair there!

What about clothes? I usually dress her in LE or LLB dresses and leggings or tights, Gymbo outfits or HA. I think we're moving out of HA, she definitely likes the cutesy Gymbo stuff (but I haven't seen anything yet this season *I* like). I got her an LLB dress (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=38786&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=505541&feat=505541-tn&cat4=503364) (mulberry/thicket), a denim skirt (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=61279&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=505541&feat=505541-tn&cat4=503364)and a cute sweater (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=three-button-swing-sweater&categoryId=61313&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503554&cat4=503356&shop_method=pp&feat=627-sub1&np=Y) (thicket) and tights (http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?page=playful-tights&categoryId=61267&storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&parentCategory=503362&cat4=503536&shop_method=pp&feat=627-sub1&np=Y) (sugarplum/mulberry). Nothing on LE rocks my world this season either.

I just got back from one store with some leggings and tunics. I'm headed off to the mall this afternoon (DH and the girls are away allll weekend at the ILs, so I'm relaxing doing my own thing).

Any ideas?

sadie427
08-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Boy mom here, but kindergarten clothes are the same as daycare. More chaotic, so stuff that will be left there should be stuff that you wouldn't be upset about losing. Shoes, of course, should not have laces unless she can tie them really, really well.

kransden
08-22-2009, 05:38 PM
:yeahthat:
Things they can get into and out of for the bathroom easily.
Things that can and will be ruined.

Kinders don't have the fashions sense that older kids have. They can wear anything that is comfortable to them. One kinder liked to wear her cowgirl boots w/ her leggings and sometimes ballet tutu-ish skirt on top. The kids typically don't make fun of each other's clothes that early. Don't worry the teachers have seen it all. :)

My dd has now hit 2nd grade and suddenly has become the fashion police!

s_gosney
08-22-2009, 05:40 PM
Hi Melissa! Good to have you back! :waving4:

So far my dd has been wearing clothes that are similar or sometimes slightly nicer than what she wore to preschool/daycare. Her preschool was very focused on the whole child (as I wanted it to be) and she came home filthy. Now in K she is coming home much cleaner. It's still hot here, so she's mostly wearing sleeveless dresses, but the girls wear everything from shorts and tees, skirts, dresses, you name it.
The one thing that we have had to adjust from preschool is her shoes. In preschool she wore crocs basically everyday. This worked well because they have a large sandbox there and they let the kids play with water in the sandbox throughout the warm months (that's a lot of months here, lol). They let them take their shoes off for sandbox play and then hosed them off when they were done, so crocs were the ideal shoe for that. Now though, her playground is on a giant sandbox but the kids have to keep their shoes on and it annoys her when sand gets in her shoes. So she has taken to wearing socks with her MJ style sneakers and yes even with her SR sandals. :bag All that to say that you might want to find out (if you don't already know) what the playground covering is and adjust accordingly if needed.
We don't have to send in extra shoes, but yeah I would def just hit target for those.
GL!

s_gosney
08-22-2009, 05:42 PM
One kinder liked to wear her cowgirl boots w/ her leggings and sometimes ballet tutu-ish skirt on top.

Ha! So you have met my dd! ;) If you see someone similarly dressed soon, you'll know it's her!

Twin Mom
08-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Send DD in whatever you feel comfortable with. You may want to ask at the school what types of markers/paints, etc they use so you know whether or not stuff will get ruined. That will definitely help you decide.

mom2binsd
08-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Last year in K DD wore a lot of jeans and pants with long sleeved shirts- I did patterns so they were not likely to show dirt/stains...she found she got too hot once past Oct with sweaters...until the weather cooled she wore a lot of capri's and tops....we kept a pair of Ked's with velcro at school for PE, they were only used for PE and were easy and quick for her to put on. She wasn't into dresses and with the weather it was better to stay away from dresses most of the year.

I didn't find that she ruined her clothes, sometimes at lunch if I let her order hot lunch she'd spill chocolate milk, they didn't do really messy projects and she had a very good art smock. I put her in her nicer Gymbo pieces, quite a few of the other girls wore their Gymbo, Hanna and the like on a daily basis.

My question for the mom's with girls, when they wear leggings/tights that go only to the calf/knee do your girls find that their shoes bother them....it would look silly with socks but DD always complains about shoes bothering her, even her comfy ones...

alexsmommy
08-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Comfy, easy to get up/down in bathroom, won't be upset if it comes home stained/ripped. Most of DS1's clothes made it through the year just fine, but one or two shirts got ruined. I saw other kids (boys and girls) who were really hard on their clothing though.

jenmcadams
08-22-2009, 08:15 PM
The two biggest criteria from my perspective were that the clothes were omfortable and easy to get on/off (esp. for bathrooms). My DD hates jeans, so she mainly wore dresses with leggings or bike shorts/capri leggings. She also was/is into long skirts, so wore those alot. She had a mixture of LE, LLBean, Hanna, Gymbo, Naartjie and Children's Place. We didn't see that clothes got any more ruined in K than they do at home, so we let her wear whatever she wanted to school.

My question for the mom's with girls, when they wear leggings/tights that go only to the calf/knee do your girls find that their shoes bother them....it would look silly with socks but DD always complains about shoes bothering her, even her comfy ones...

As far as shoes, my DD's school allows crocs on non-gym days and that's what she wore n the Fall/Spring. In the winter she wears hiking boots, mary janes, snow boots, etc., but she obviously doesn't have the calf length issue in the winter as she wears full length leggings or tights with feet. On Gym Days (every 3rd day basically), she wears her tennis shoes with socks. We don't have the requirement that they have to have separate pair of gym shoes for school

mom2binsd
08-22-2009, 10:55 PM
DD hates crocs...flip flops and crocs are discouraged at school as they are difficult on the playground at recess...we have PE everyday and the kids don't have to have PE shoes, but the shoes just have to be PE type shoes.

DD has these awesome little shoes that are made of croc like material but they are sweet little ballet style flats, I got them for 6.99 last year at Gordman's but could never find them this year, they have no identifying info on them as to brand, they are less clunky than croc maryjanes or ballet style which is why DD loves them, so these are her fav's.

I kinda hate this inbetween season, let's just get fall underway!!!!!!!!!!!!

bubbaray
08-22-2009, 11:11 PM
Thanks everyone!

So, I'm completely underwhelmed with the clothing choices. Why do designers seem to think its OK to dress little girls like hookers?? Seriously. WTF is up with that??

As usual, I did not like much at TCP, though I got 2 l/w t's (with screenprinting but no words) and 1 pair of purple pants. I got 2 l/s t's at ON, but again, most stuff was just not appropriate for a 5yo. I also got her some Joe clothing :canada:, 3 pairs of leggings and a tunic/dress.
Long story short, I hit pretty much every store except Gymbo, which I'll hit Monday at lunch.

Checked out the NB store, need to actually take DD#1 with me to get shoes. Ditto the SRs. I'm planning on sticking with those styles b/c she needs the support, she gets really bad growing pains and the dr said that she needs supportive shoes to help with that.

I got their socks at Costco last night. Still looking for tights, but not having much luck there. Got one pair at Walmart today. Got her jeans at Walmart and Target in the US (the Target ones were highly rated by Good Housekeeping).

I already have her outwear -- lightweight rain jacket, heavyweight rain jacket, winter jacket and Ski gear (ski bibs and ski jacket). Need to find turtlenecks

mom2binsd
08-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Melissa I couldn't agree more on the clothing choices....I was looking for a few cute additions to DD's wardrobe and so much of the stuff was so tacky!! I hate all the character tees and the stuff with obnoxious sayings, skulls and other trendy logo's and so much sliver/gold-yuck. I got a few gymbo items that my dad bought for DD at their BTS sale, the argyle vest, red trench, long sleeve puppy shirt and cute jeans. Gap had a few cute things too. I think I'll get a few more of my fav gymbo lines on ebay (rocky mountain, mod zebra, glamour kitty).

I did see some cute JOE items when I was in Ottawa at the grocery store, they sell it at Loblaws there. The stuff with the squirrels was really cute.

For the first day I found a cute dress in the little girls dept (5t) am so sad we're pretty much out of this size.

DD looked like a little girl not a streetwalker.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=611901&l=7318cafe41&id=1133086374