PDA

View Full Version : So, DH and the kids are away for the weekend -- what do YOU do?

bubbaray
08-22-2009, 08:40 PM
The only time I've been away from DD#1 is when I was in the hospital having DD#2 -- and I've never been away from DD#2. DH took them both to see the ILs today.

So far, I've done a bit of shopping, took the dog for a long walk in a nature reserve (think I saw cougar/mountain lion poop too), went and got myself Szechuan Chinese takeout (YUM!). Am watching NCIS on dVR.

Tomorrow, I might go to church with a friend of mine and possibly out for brunch or a walk. Maybe go pickup some new running/walking shoes (to motivate me). Grocery shopping.

Can you tell I'm bored?

What should I do? I feel so lame! I was thinking pedicure, but the spa I go to books up weeks in advance. I could go elsewhere, but I'm rather picky about going just *anywhere* for my feet, KWIM?

I could go shopping places I can't go with kids. I could relax (though I think I am done now, LOL and its just about 6pm).

sunshine873
08-22-2009, 08:47 PM
That's funny. You dream about time for yourself and then when you get it you don't know what to do with yourself!

I think I'd feel the same way. My DD is still young, but I don't think I like the idea of her and DH being gone for a whole weekend without me. I'd miss them! (insert pouty smilie here.) Of course, like you...I'd manage to survive and make the most out of it! :) Go do the shopping you can't do with DC in tow.

jgenie
08-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I would do a bit of work and a bit of relaxing. I would wake up and go for a run first thing. During the day, I would tackle the pile of returns I always seem to have while shopping - ALONE!! I would find a friend to join me for a really nice lunch at a restaurant that doesn't have a kid's menu. At night I would work on a couple of big decluttering projects while I watch TV.

wellyes
08-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Well, I'm boring too. I suppose you're supposed to go clubbing or something. Me, I'd go see the new Quentin Tarintino movie with a big bucket of popcorn, some M&Ms and a giant soda.

gatorsmom
08-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I'd go shoe shopping (it would be nice not to have to take a stroller). I LOVE shoe shopping. Then, I'd go to Barnes and Noble, pick out an easy-to-read, escapist book, and sit down with it and a cappaccino. And read for hours at a time.

I'd try to stay away from home because I'd be tempted to spend my time working in the house. I do enough of that already. And really, the work will always be there no matter how much I do. Sometimes you just gotta get away from it all, kwim?

m448
08-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh man I've got a working list at the ready. I'm just waiting.

1. Sleep in.
2. Take a super long shower that includes washing my hair AND shaving my legs, not making a choice between one or the other.
3. Lounge around a bit watching food tv while I eat breakfast all.by.myself.
4. Sew
5. Sew some more
6. Trace patterns
7. Knit
8. Read
9. Try out fancy schmancy recipes no one but me likes.
10. Take an afternoon nap
11. Eat chocolate for dinner

ThreeofUs
08-22-2009, 09:39 PM
AAAACCCKKKK!!!!!

I'd run around crazily trying to arrange the wreck that is my home. One baby plus one 4-5 yo plus three major renovations plus one DH who is back to working non-stop = absolute insanity. OMG, just thinking about it makes me break into a sweat.

Maybe try to strip some more peeling paint, or take up the carpet on the 3rd floor stairs (whose pad is so old it has disintegrated and is turning back into oil - OMG what a mess to clean up!)

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2009, 09:41 PM
First, I clean. I clean so that then I can totally relax without guilt. Shop, movie, bath, read...enjoy!

Beth

geochick
08-22-2009, 09:42 PM
"So, DH and the kids are away for the weekend -- what do YOU do?"

I'd pinch myself because I'd need to wake up from the dream. That would never happen around here.

Enjoy yourself. Have a pedi. Go to a movie. Don't do dishes.

MontrealMum
08-22-2009, 10:01 PM
I'd go shoe shopping (it would be nice not to have to take a stroller). I LOVE shoe shopping. Then, I'd go to Barnes and Noble, pick out an easy-to-read, escapist book, and sit down with it and a cappaccino. And read for hours at a time.

That sounds good to me!

And I guess I might go out for some of that amazing sushi you guys have out there since your DD is away. I might even be tempted to go alone if I couldn't find a dinner partner - with that escapist book from Chapters!

Honestly, though. If I hadn't had some time to plan this, I'd be at total loose ends too! "Me" time? What's that?

TwinFoxes
08-22-2009, 10:11 PM
My first thought was pedicure too, but I totally feel you re: not going just anywhere.

I would probably go out to dinner, I'm am one of those people who will eat out by herself. I'd probably go out for fancy sushi, instead of regular take-out sushi. Or Thai food, mmmm.

Do you drink? How about meeting someone for a cocktail? Especially after a day of shopping. Drinks and shopping two of my favorite things! (or at least they used to be.)

A museum? Or browsing a book shop? Spending a lot of time in the magazine section. Oooh, or hanging out in a coffee shop with a magazine!

I'd love to see a movie. I'm also the type to go to a movie by myself though. I'm not even sure I'd know what to go see. I stopped paying any real attention to movie commercials a few months ago. I do know I wouldn't go see that new Sandra Bullock movie they've been advertising...

bubbaray
08-22-2009, 10:21 PM
Might go to a bookstore tonight (sounds like a lame Saturday).

I also *did* think Sushi. We can't have fish due to DD#2's allergy, so I totally crave it!

I did mountains of laundry and some organization last night and today. Got our dining room table mostly ready for DD#1 to do "homework" when she starts K (not expecting actual homework, but it will be where we can do workbooks with her), instead of the kitchen table.

Still need to vacuum, but other than that and grocery shopping, I'm done with chores.

Hmmm, I could go to a movie. I've actually never been to a movie by myself before. Is that weird? ETA: Skip that. Nothing on I want to see.

bigpassport
08-22-2009, 10:30 PM
I would have a spa day at a spa that has women's steamroom and jacuzzi--treatments to include facial, massage and scrub, maybe a pedicure. I would get GOOD Chinese food takeout and curl up at home watching movies that DH would never want to watch with me. Ahhhhh...looking forward to it someday:)

StantonHyde
08-22-2009, 10:58 PM
oh--we went to see 500 days of summer--sweet movie. I like Harry Potter, so I would see that. I would rent a movie I would want to watch. Sleep in and sleep in some more. Walking the dog again. Eating sushi and drinking an expensive bottle of wine all. by. myself. oh and shoe shopping...

The bookstore--I could wander there for hours. I would probably just revel in my ability to putter around without looking at the clock or worrying where i need to be by when.

Besides, when DH gets home, he is going to THROW the girls at you (at least that;s what I would do if I were him) so just enjoy yourself. Take naps, go out for breakfast. I think I would eat out every meal at a non-kid restaurant :boogie:

infomama
08-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Tidy up, shop (for me) with a girlfriend, go see a movie with my mom, take a long 'spa' bath (candles and the whole nine yards), paint my nails and toes, spend some time at the barn with the horses, tuck in with a good book.

Asianmommy
08-23-2009, 12:06 AM
I would go see a movie, go outlet shopping, meet a friend for coffee & dessert!

clc053103
08-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I have no answer for you- because this has NEVER HAPPENED!!!!! Whatever you end up doing, I hope you enjoy!!!

KrisM
08-23-2009, 10:11 AM
I clean so I can enjoy the rest of the time. Plus, I never get a chance to really organize with 3 kids anyway, so I'm pretty happy.

Have fun!