PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy to think I can...(*updated to ask another ? reg. dining)

infomama
08-22-2009, 11:23 PM
take my mom to a Broadway show and dinner for less than $500? I chose mezzanine seats for a 2pm show and the dinner package for Tavern on the Green (I've always wanted to go there) and it came to almost $500.

Yee-ikes!!

SnuggleBuggles
08-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I wouldn't do a package b/c I think you could do better a la carte. Tickets could run $200-300 but I can't image that dinner at Tavern on the Green has to cost $200+! I just looked at their menu online and while expensive it isn't insane at all. I mean, do you feel a strong need to have a full, multi course luxurious meal or will you settle for just eating there and maybe doing it more simply with an entree, dessert and a drink vs app, salad, entree, dessert, wine, drinks...? Dh and I eat out at good, $$ restaurants but are savvy orderes and can get out of restaurants under $100 with prices like Tavern on the Green's.

ETA- did you check out their pre theater menu? $45/person.

Beth

infomama
08-23-2009, 12:18 AM
I would be just fine with a modest meal at TOTG. I am however pretty stuck on good seats at the show (Ticketmaster had them for $160 with the fees). I suppose the dinner package ($70 for the 'Gold' pkg for dinner at TOTG) is a bit steep.

ha98ed14
08-23-2009, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't do a package. TOTG is not that wonderful. Everyone thinks it is, but it's a lot of hype associated with the name. If you are trying to save money and you are flexible about what show you see, the TKTS booth in Times Sq or near South Street Seaport are good places to try. You will have a shorter wait at one near the Seaport.

daniele_ut
08-23-2009, 11:39 AM
It depends on the show and when you plan to go. We went to Mary Poppins in May and spent about $125 total on 2 tickets in the 7th row. They were doing a special where the second ticket was only $15, though. When we went to Wicked, though, at the height if it's popularity, dh had to buy a package that included a night at the Roosevelt Hotel and 2 orchestra seats for $600. Ouch. We go to a lot of shows because I work in theatre, and $160 each seems steep for mezzanine seats, unless they are right in the front and center of the mezzanine. $70pp for dinner at Tavern on the Green doesn't seem too high, honestly, but it probably wouldn't be my first choice of restaurants, partly because it is so far from the theatre district. You'll have to get a cab back to the theatre.

I wouldn't recommend TKTS if you have your heart set on a particular show because the list of shows changes daily and it doesn't always include the most popular shows. You can only buy tickets the day of the show there, but you get great deals for being flexible. We've seen tons of shows that way.

HallsofVA
08-23-2009, 11:52 AM
If you're looking to go soon, the NYC restaurants are doing "restaurant week" that actually lasts through labor day. doesn't work on Saturday though, so if you're looking at a Saturday matinee it won't be an option. But the price is $35 plus drinks at a ton of restaurants in the area. Many restaurants also do pre- and post-theatre fixed price menus that are also a good value as someone else mentioned.

Depending on what show you're looking at, look around for good discounts. Many have had discounted prices recently, though I found saturday matinee discounts for family shows pretty hard to come by. Even so, we took the family to see Shrek last weekend and the 4 tickets were $320 or so. It was a buy 1 get 3 50% off deal. For September Shrek has a buy 1 get 1 free deal that's even better for 2 tickets. But there are similar discounts out there for other shows.

I think it's certainly doable, but I'd try to minimize fees and take advantage of discounts where possible to leave you more money for the good stuff!

infomama
08-23-2009, 01:35 PM
So where to eat in the theater district?

LexyLou
08-23-2009, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't do a package either.

What show are you going to see?

There is a great website called www.broadwaybox.com that has great discounted tickets. Of course you can't get tickets for shows like Wicked on there, but DH and I have seen great shows for nice discounts via it.

Also, if you're willing to stand online and not have a game plan you can go to the 2 For booth. The one in Times Square is always packed. I know there is another one some where in the Financial District as well. It used to be in WTC 1 and there was never ever a line there. I know they moved it, but I don't know where it is.

As for dinner. Check out http://restaurantrow.name/media/restaurantrow.html

also check out Yelp for reviews:

http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=theatre+district+restaurants&find_loc=New+York,+NY#places=NY%3ANew_York%3AManha ttan%3ATheater_District

Have fun! It's expensive, but so worth it!

infomama
08-23-2009, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't do a package either.

What show are you going to see?

There is a great website called www.broadwaybox.com (http://www.broadwaybox.com) that has great discounted tickets. Of course you can't get tickets for shows like Wicked on there, but DH and I have seen great shows for nice discounts via it.

Also, if you're willing to stand online and not have a game plan you can go to the 2 For booth. The one in Times Square is always packed. I know there is another one some where in the Financial District as well. It used to be in WTC 1 and there was never ever a line there. I know they moved it, but I don't know where it is.

As for dinner. Check out http://restaurantrow.name/media/restaurantrow.html

Have fun! It's expensive, but so worth it!
Funny, Wicked is the show I plan on going to see. I am going to have to pre purchase the tickets as my mom can't stand in line for long periods of time. I'll check out the restaurant link...thanks.

HallsofVA
08-23-2009, 07:05 PM
You can find about any type of restaurant in Times Square to eat at. We had an awesome Greek dinner at Kellari Taverna last week. They have both a theatre menu and are participating in the $35 restaurant week at the moment, but it depends on when you go. It can be a bit pricey if you order off the regular menu but we couldn't resist the whole fish they had on special. You can book a reservation through OpenTable.com and also research some of their recommendations and reviews.

Teatro del Dopo or something like that has respectible italian food and has a theatre menu. Both of these restaurants are on 44th, just outside of Times Square, though Kellari is a few blocks further down (but not too far for my 2.5 yr old to walk it.) We also had a great dinner at the Beacon and they seemed to have a decent theatre crowd though we took a cab there and back from Times Square.