PDA

View Full Version : Sigg Bottles - part 2

deannanb
08-23-2009, 12:00 AM
here is the part 2 from zrecommends:

http://www.zrecommends.com/detail/two-new-bpa-free-problems-that-could-drive-away-sigg-users/

bubbaray
08-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Well, that is just f'g great.

Boy, I'm steamed now.

cdlamis
08-23-2009, 12:19 AM
I am still so pissed at this! I got a return label to send mine back but what am I supposed to do with 2 new Siggs that I will NEVER use?

infomama
08-23-2009, 12:30 AM
I am still so pissed at this! I got a return label to send mine back but what am I supposed to do with 2 new Siggs that I will NEVER use?
:yeahthat:

hollybloom24
08-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Wow. I am at a loss.

I didn't even originally by my Siggs for safety reasons. I just assumed if places like REI and Whole Foods were selling them, they were safe.

I bought mine for environmental reasons - I don't buy juice boxes. I just didn't expect while I was attempting to save a tree that I might be making my kids sick!

To cdlamis - do you recall where you originally bought your Siggs? If you are an REI member and bought them at REI, they keep track of all purchases in their computer system and will return them without a receipt - maybe only for store credit, but better than having bottles you won't use.

I bought mine from Sigg's website. Great.

gordo
08-23-2009, 10:57 AM

Donate them. That is what I plan on doing.

SpaceGal
08-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Hmm wow, I was getting ready to send mine back but now I'm almost thinking of just keeping the old liners since at least they "don't leach". I rather take my chances there than eat ecocare liner chips. UGH!! I dunno...at this point I will be the only one that uses them you know. Maybe I'll see if I can take two of them back because I was able to dig up some old receipts but still.

bubbaray
08-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Hmm wow, I was getting ready to send mine back but now I'm almost thinking of just keeping the old liners since at least they "don't leach". I rather take my chances there than eat ecocare liner chips.

Yeah, is what I'm thinking....

AnnieW625
08-23-2009, 01:06 PM
so glad I opted for the basic Klean Kanteens last year because I found a better deal on them. :)

Snow mom
08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Before this second part came out I opened the SIGG Christmas bottle I have to look at the new lining and the first thing I noticed was the lining is super chipped around the neck. This bottle is brand spankin' new. It's just been sitting on my counter for the last 7 months. I'm going to return it to REI. I don't feel comfortable with SIGG as a company. I think KK is really going to benefit from this debacle.

cdlamis
08-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Good idea- I will give it away. Luckily, we have only been using our Klean Kanteens for a while now but I am still peeved that we used the Siggs for 2 years!

brittone2
08-23-2009, 01:59 PM
FWIW, I was at WFs today and they had the old style Siggs *deeply* discounted at the checkout lines. Like 9 dollars off, etc. No indication of the BPA issue. I really, really wanted to chat with customer service and say that I think they should at the very least disclose what they know to their customers...put up a sign saying Sigg is changing over to a BPA free lining but that the old linings supposedly do not leach, etc. (eta: if they are so confident that there is no safety issue w/ these, then they should at least disclose what they know IMO). It makes me angry that with back to school season upon us, many parents will unknowingly pick up a BPA-containing product that is deeply discounted, kwim?

Grrrrr. I didn't end up talking to customer service as my kids were ready to go, but I'm thinking about calling in the next few days to voice my disappointment in WFs selling these (at a deep discount, so obviously they know there are changes happening w/ the new bottles or that the sh*t is about to hit the fan with Sigg's reputation...) without any disclosure of the fact that they contain BPA.

eta: just spoke w/ someone in customer service at my local store, and they agreed that there should be a sign or something up. She's going to speak w/ one of the "grocery leaders" and have them call me back. I'll update if I hear anything.

bubbaray
08-23-2009, 02:43 PM
I called my "local" (not really, about 45 min away, but close to DH's office and he does go shop there for me) WF to enquire about the Green Bottles. I told the cs person about the Sigg issue and he went right to their website. Told me he was NOT happy and he was going to discuss with the store manager.

I'm so freakin' pi$$ed about this new liner, I am really not sure what to do. Refuse shipment of the new bottles??? Not sure.

Why is this so freakin' difficult? At least I had KKs for the girls. But, still. I'm not happy.

daniele_ut
08-23-2009, 02:58 PM
FWIW, I saw dozens of stainless steel (yes, I did check that they were stainless and not aluminum) bottles at Old Navy for $5.00 recently.

The thought of aluminum bottles, lining or no, has always made me nervous so we never bought any Sigg bottles and I'm glad we avoided them. DS uses a Foogo bottle and DD has an Avent sippy and they both have some of the new BPA free Nalgene sippies as well.

kcandz
08-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Color me confused - if the bottles now aren't good enough for your families why donate them to someone else who might use them not knowing the BPA status? No offense intended but it seems to me that returning them to the company is the best thing to do.

infomama
08-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Color me confused - if the bottles now aren't good enough for your families why donate them to someone else who might use them not knowing the BPA status? No offense intended but it seems to me that returning them to the company is the best thing to do.
I see your point but Sigg will not issue refunds, only vouchers for a new bottle. I am returning my bottle to Sigg and may use the voucher but I will designate it the dog water bottle for the park. I just don't trust them anyone, you know. I am converting to KK's.

g-mama
08-23-2009, 05:34 PM

I would rather throw them away than donate them if they are unsafe.

Melaine
08-23-2009, 06:13 PM
This is really awful. I'm sorry that you guys were dealing with this. We don't have any Siggs, but I just wanted to give a contrasting story about Klean Kanteens.
We have nine Klean Kanteens total and use them every single day. Around Christmas I got the girls a couple of the pink ones when we had a really ICKY issue come up with one of our funtainers. Anyway, the pink paint had been flaking off some from daily use and running it through the dishwasher constantly, so I emailed Klean Kanteen. I just said I was a little concerned from a safety standpoint about the paint. About 4 hours later, my phone rang.
IT WAS A REAL LIVE PERSON calling from Klean Kanteen. He was super nice and said they liked to quickly respond to safety concerns especially those of parents. He assured me that the paint was completely non-toxic and totally safe. He also explained that the colored KKs are NOT supposed to be washed in the dishwasher (which I didn't realize). Then he immediately emailed me the info to send the bottles back for free (they pay postage) and get a refund or exchange (I didn't even buy them direct from KK either).

I was blown away by the customer service, so I encourage you guys to go with Klean Kanteen!

Snow mom
08-23-2009, 06:21 PM

I would rather throw them away than donate them if they are unsafe.

For the record, they can be recycled as aluminum.

kayte
08-23-2009, 06:28 PM
I personally like the idea of having SIGG send me the new one and then returning it to them(as used) to be recycled (identifying that you don't trust the new liner either). I would encourage everyone to get the new ones, so as to cost the company the production cost.

blisstwins
08-23-2009, 06:52 PM
I think there should be a class action law suit and that we should all press fore refunds.
This company is dispicable and if I see an old liner Sigg on sale at WF I am going to actually make noise in the store. I am feeling crazy on the topic.

brittone2
08-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I think there should be a class action law suit and that we should all press fore refunds.
This company is dispicable and if I see an old liner Sigg on sale at WF I am going to actually make noise in the store. I am feeling crazy on the topic.

FWIW, I have yet to hear back (as promised) from my local WFs on the Sigg issue. I'm curious to see if they'll respond in the next few days.

cdlamis
08-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Donate them. That is what I plan on doing.

I am actually *donating* mine to my sister who uses Sigg and didn't mind the BPA issue when I explained the current situation. She will be happy to use my credit and get new Siggs. I might be super cautious when it comes to this kind of stuff but it doesn't mean that everyone is.