PDA

View Full Version : For those sending dcs who have difficulties with new experiences off to school

JustMe
08-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Here is an article for teachers I find very helpful. Some may want to give it to dcs' teachers or, if the teacher would not be open to it, just use as a reminder/sanity measure for yourself

http://teacher.scholastic.com/professional/bruceperry/safety_wonder.htm

egoldber
08-24-2009, 07:46 AM
This is terrific. I think it really summed up a lot of the difficulties Sarah has with school.

This part really spoke to me....

In the first weeks of school, very young children are almost drowning in novelty. We can make these new experiences easier. We can do things to make the environment more predictable, structured, familiar, and, thereby, safe. It is the invisible yet powerful web of relationships in the classroom that creates an optimal learning environment. The most important learning "tool" is the teacher. And it is the teacher who creates the safe "home base" from which the child will explore.

ha98ed14
08-24-2009, 12:29 PM
This was great. I sent it to the director of DD's pre school.

octmom
08-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks for sharing this. It struck a chord with me.

JustMe
08-25-2009, 01:14 AM
I am glad people are reading this and finding it helpful. I'm too tired from my difficulty-finding-afterschool childcare stress to respond, but as soon as I'm up to it I will.