PDA

View Full Version : Is bedtime ALWAYS going to be like this from now on?

MmeSunny
08-23-2009, 07:19 PM
A bit of history: DD is almost 2. She has (since about 11 months) gone to bed at 7pm. We give her a two minute warning, a one minute warning and then into the bedroom for diaper change, jammies, music, paci and place in bed still awake. (We don't do baths frequently at night due to excema.) She would play with her bedtime doll and go to sleep. No tears, no drama.:thumbsup:

Just this week, all HADES has broken loose. We have the same routine and the same bedtime for her, but her reaction is RIDICULOUS. Now, instead of going to sleep it's at least 30-40 minutes of screaming. Just screaming, tears and temper tantrums. I know it's a temper tantrum because she's not just crying. She hollars things that she KNOWS get in her trouble and get my attention, a la "NO! NO!" (in a desperately evil tone through gritted teeth) or the always classic "SHUT UP!"

What has happened? What do I do? Any suggestions other than a child transplant are most welcome.

FWIW, she has gone back to daycare from being home with me for the summer. (I teach.) Same daycare as last year. But she went back over 3 weeks ago. Is this just what the "terrible twos" are all about. OMG. I'm going to poo myself if that's the case. . . . .

KrisM
08-23-2009, 08:02 PM
It's probably related to daycare. She doesn't get to see you as much now.

Can you keep her up later?

Or, does she nap? Maybe she needs to drop a nap?

Otherwise, I have no ideas. It'll pass at some point, I'm sure.

DietCokeLover
08-23-2009, 08:16 PM
I am thinking it is related to starting back to daycare too. She sounds like she is trying to get more time/ attention with you. Maybe try to give her an extra few minutes of time with you before putting her in bed (but make sure she is aware she is getting the extra time.)

My other thought might just be that she is telling you this is too early for her to go to bed now. My DC always went to bed at 7 until a few months ago, they started having more behavior problems at bedtime and we pushed it back to 7:30 and they are doing great!

jent
08-23-2009, 08:20 PM
I would say, hang in there for a while and see what happens. We went through a period a few weeks ago where, despite no change in the bedtime/naptime routine, DD started crying each and every bedtime. It felt like it lasted forever, but probably only lasted 1 week. We just stuck with it & eventually things went back to normal. On those crying nights, I reassured her briefly and then let her be. I find that when she's acting like that, trying to reassure her more doesn't help but just leads to her being more fussy/clingy. I think it was just a phase for some reason that we'll never know.

In your DD's case it could totally be related to daycare and not seeing you as much, even though it's been 3 weeks; sometimes their reactions are time-delayed like that.

I wouldn't rush to drop a nap or push back her bedtime. Especially if she's going to bed later with all the fussing. It's possible she's overtired-- maybe she hasn't been napping as well at daycare? Or are you getting her up earlier to go to daycare?

MontrealMum
08-23-2009, 08:40 PM
We had a bit of a problem like this a few months ago. DS is newly 2. Soon after the screaming and fighting episodes started, I realized that he was able to reach books from his crib and was pulling them into his bed - and that this kept him from screaming bloody murder. So, I stack a few near his bed each night now, and we still begin to put him down at 7. But we spend a bit more "quiet time" on the sofa before actually putting him in the crib (he likes the personal attention and the darkened room helps) and after I close the door he may yell for 5 min or so (usually less), then I hear him in there "reading" to his bears or chatting. He takes about 30 min or so to actually quiet down and go to sleep.

We thought about pushing bedtime back when all the protesting started, but it was obvious that he is still really ready at 7 - cranky, rubbing eyes, tendancy to throw things or bite when frustrated or foiled.

purpleeyes
08-23-2009, 10:38 PM
I just had a similar prob. with DD (almost 2). It turned out to be an ear infection!! :duh:
She's been on the antibiotic for about 6 days, and just tonight, she went down with no problems, like before.
Just a thought. . .

It is so awful, I know! Hope it settles down, soon!