PDA

View Full Version : Soy: fermented, non-fermented...

MontrealMum
08-23-2009, 07:52 PM
As a bit of a S/O to MamaKath's vegetarian thread and the other thread discussing soy...am I right in understanding that the fermented soy is better for us? Where can I buy it? Would it be at a very large grocery store along with the other tofu, for example, or should I check out our local Asian markets? Can I use it in the same way?

I flirted with vegetarianism many years ago, before I really learned how to cook, so I am a big ignorant about some of these things. But DS seems to be a self-imposed vegetarian, and DH has borderline high cholesterol, so I'm looking for ways to adapt/vary our diet a bit.

Also, besides Moosewood, does anyone have any good veggie/vegan titles of cookbooks to recommend?

TIA!

brittone2
08-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Examples of fermented soy are products like miso and tempeh.

I'd also look for non GMO/organic if you go that route.

MontrealMum
08-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the tips Beth. I wasn't sure if it was just like salted and unsalted butter, or something entirely different, but that makes sense now. We have a Japanese grocery store nearby that carries lots of types of miso, I think I'll start there, and be sure to see that it's non-GMO.

justlearning
08-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Although I must admit that I haven't made any of their recipes yet, I've heard good things about "Vegan Planet" and checked it out from the library. It's huge, has lots of recipes (no pictures), and most of them seem simple enough for me to make.

ThreeofUs
08-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the tips Beth. I wasn't sure if it was just like salted and unsalted butter, or something entirely different, but that makes sense now. We have a Japanese grocery store nearby that carries lots of types of miso, I think I'll start there, and be sure to see that it's non-GMO.

Any good health-food store (and I know you have a couple up there!) would have non-GMO, often organic, fully labeled fermented soy products. The only downside is that you'd be subjected to a 1/2 hour discussion of the various types, tastes and merits. ;)

alirebco
08-24-2009, 10:57 PM
Tempeh is fermented soy and is great! You can get it at Whole Foods and the like. Right near the tofu. A great cookbook is Vegan with a Vengence.

DrSally
08-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Love tempeh in salads. So, tofu isn't fermented? Is mock duck fermented?