PDA

View Full Version : 6 Year Molar Questions

Gena
08-23-2009, 07:56 PM
DS has been resisting getting his teeth brushed the past couple of days, which is unusual for him. In particular, the back of his top jaw seems really sensitive on both side. I was worried about decay, but we are very diligent about brushing his teeth well. Today I finally got a good look in his mouth. His gums behind his back teeth look a little swollen and there are whitish spots on them. So now I'm wondering if his 6 year molars are coming in.

DS is 5 years 5 months old, so I guess this is within the normal time frame, right? But he hasn't lost any baby teeth yet - none are even loose. Doesn't that usually happen first? I remember loosing my first tooth in first grade, during a social studies test. I had just turned 6 years old. But I don't remember when my molars came in.

Those of you who have been through this with your kids, at what age did these events happen?

aa2mama
08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
It sounds to me like your son is well within normal limits. My DS is 5yrs 8 months, and he has the 6yr molars in on his right side but not his left. He has lost 2 teeth already, but most of his friends haven't lost teeth yet.

MmeSunny
08-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I specifically remember getting my 6 year molars way before I was 6--probably closer to 5 or 5.5. I remember my dentist telling my mom and I was all smug because I was "dentally ahead" of the curve. I had the same reaction when I started my 12 year molars at 10. I remember thinking that my teeth were perhaps gifted and my extention my brain, since they knew what to do so early. :hysterical:

o_mom
08-23-2009, 08:18 PM
DS1 just lost his first two (bottom front) last month at 5 yrs 10 mos. No sign of the 6 yr molars yet. I do remember from my niece that the 6 yr molars don't replace any teeth, so they come in without any getting loose before them. I think there is wide variation, just like when baby teeth come in - there is the usual order and then the rest of us. :)

m448
08-23-2009, 08:50 PM
at his cleaning this month my 5.5 year old had his 6 year molar pointed out so it must have come in a while ago. He's been losing teeth like crazy too (he's on his third within the last 2-3 months).

JBaxter
08-23-2009, 09:18 PM
When I was working ( dental hygienist) I saw a 4 1/2 yr old with erupting 1st molars. 6 is just an average. Some much earlier some later :)

kransden
08-23-2009, 10:57 PM
DD is almost 7. She has all of her teeth still, and the 6 yr molars are almost finished coming in.

MMEand1
08-24-2009, 12:32 AM
DS is almost 7 and has all of his baby teeth and no 6 yr molars yet.

s7714
08-24-2009, 12:39 AM
My 6 year old started getting both her upper 6 year molars about 4 or 5 months prior to loosing her first tooth.

AngelaS
08-24-2009, 06:34 AM
My 7 yo just recently lost 3 teeth and started getting one of her 6 year molars. There's definitely an age range.