PDA

View Full Version : 4 mo old rolling onto stomach during sleep

gavsmompa
08-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I am freaking out b/c I found DD twice today on her belly sleeping after she has been put to bed on her back. She has been rolling from belly to back for the past month now and it's only today that I've noticed she can now roll the opposite way. My question is should I go in and roll her over if I find her this way? It really scares me b/c she is only 4 months old and while I do give her tummy time everyday, I worry because I've never seen her roll that way while she is awake and she always seem to fuss while on her stomach. Does anyone have a DC that does this?

neeleymartin
08-23-2009, 09:32 PM
mine 4 mos old does the same thing. i often hear the muffled cry. what i have been doing is just going in an rolling him back. i don't say a word, and we keep the room quite dark.

ds1 didn't roll until he was 7mos+ (very late). he never moved an inch in his crib. not sure how to deal with this very active already boy. hope someone has some good advice.

deannanb
08-23-2009, 09:49 PM
DS is all over the crib at night - back to stomach to side to front to back....(we have a video cam in his room!)

I would make sure there aren't any blankets or bumpers in the crib and not worry about being on her stomach -

gavsmompa
08-23-2009, 09:56 PM
No blankets, no bumpers. I did have her in a Halo Sleepsack but took it off for tonight thinking that if she did roll onto her belly it might be easier to roll back. I have rolled her back for naps but what I can do for nighttime sleep? I do not have a video monitor.

neeleymartin
08-24-2009, 08:25 AM
:BUMP:

anything else? do we roll them back?

JBaxter
08-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Leave a sleeping baby alone :) Honestly if YOU wanted to sleep on your belly and someone came and rolled you back over you would be ticked. If a baby is strong enough to roll dont worry about how they are sleeping. Ive had 3 ( of 4) who were belly sleepers early on and still are. MANY decades babies were put to sleep in their tummies because they slept better.

wellyes
08-24-2009, 09:43 AM
Once they start being able to roll, MANY babies roll to their tummies. Very very normal. I personally wouldn't worry about it, let sleeping babies lie :)

I don't have personal experience on this one though, since my DD was a strong roller before she started going onto her tummy at night so I had no concerns about her being able to get back on her back if she needed/wanted to. But I know there have been lots of threads on this here and the consensus always seems to be - if they get that way on their own, no worries.

SnuggleBuggles
08-24-2009, 09:46 AM
I would never roll baby back. They'll be fine. Like pp said, keep the crib free of any potential hazards then let them be. You did the best you could and you all need sleep.

Beth

sadie427
08-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Ours has been doing this since 5 mo or so. If he rolls on his tummy and fusses/cries, of course we roll him back, or take him out of the crib, comfort him, and put him back to sleep on his back. If he rolls on his tummy and sleeps that way, we let him sleep! He is usually on his tummy in the morning. We do use a sleepsack (grobag) and don't have bumpers, so don't really see how he could get into into a position where there's something covering his mouth or nose. We do not have a video monitor.

mecawa
08-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I was told with DD2 (she started doing this in her crib at night at 6 months) to just let her sleep on her tummy if that's what she prefers. THe ped said to put her on her back of course but if she rolls over to her tummy to just let her be:)

neeleymartin
08-24-2009, 08:49 PM
today i helped ds2 learn how to roll from his front, back to his back. we practiced like crazy. i can't believe how quickly he learned to roll back to front. it took about a day. the only way for me to feel ok about leaving him that way is to make sure he can get back over if he needs/wants too.

with our ds his screams a muffled bloody murder. can't leave him that way. i roll him back. if he rolled and stayed that way asleep, i would certainly leave him, but he screams. roll him back? of course, i hope that today's practice will reap some benefits.

how does that sound? ds1 layed like a meatloaf until he was MUCH older. this is all new to me.

gavsmompa
08-24-2009, 10:24 PM
When I spoke to DD pediatrician today, they at first mentioned I should try a sleep positioner. I explained that she probably wouldn't like that since she is all over the place in the crib at night. They did tell me that there really isn't much I can do. As long as the crib is safe and free of obstructions and she is comfortable on her tummy then to leave her that way. Now if I can figure out why she won't nap for me in her crib at all during the day then I'll be set.

mommyp
08-25-2009, 01:36 AM
I would not use a sleep positioner, I'm surprised a ped would say that, but then say to keep the crib free of obstructions? Anyway DD was (and still is) a big roller and mover in her sleep and often ended up on her tummy at that age. As pp said, I would make it safe as you can and then leave her be. And the sleepsack probably won't be a problem either, DD used one at that age and rolled all over, and now she can walk around her crib in the morning still wearing it, so if they want to move it doesn't appear to hinder them!