PDA

View Full Version : What size big-child bed and why?

kozachka
08-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Which size bed did your buy for your DC when s/he was ready to move to a real size bed and why? We will be moving into an apartment with two masters so DS' room could accomodate any size bed. My only concern is that DS moves a lot in his sleep and can falls out of bed so I don't want him to be sleeping in anything too high off the floor. He does fine in hotels with tall queens but I don't want to go that route as there is no way knowing how large his next bedroom might be. So I am trying to decide between a tween and a full size bed.

Also, did you get a trundle or not? I am thinking it could be handy for sleepovers and out of town visitors.

WatchingThemGrow
08-23-2009, 10:47 PM
We did a full-size with a trundle. We use it all the time for company. Not sure what we're doing for 2 little boys, but it looks like a twin over full bunk with a trundle is what we're headed for...

SnuggleBuggles
08-23-2009, 10:47 PM
A full in case they wind up being tall. If they are tall and in a twin bed it can be really uncomfortable. In a full they can lay at an angle.

I also factor in bedding costs. Queen and king cost a lot more than full or twin.

I wouldn't do a trundle. When I was growing up we just shared a bed at sleepovers if they had a bigger than twin bed or just used sleeping bags.

Beth

HIU8
08-23-2009, 10:48 PM
For DS we got a twin captains bed with drawers underneath instead of a trundle. DS's room cannot handle a full, which is what we wanted to get him. We did not get furniture to match as we intend to move and eventually sell this bed when we get him a bedroom suite (when he needs a desk for school most likely).

I grew up with a trundle (as did my sister and brother). We needed them b/c we had out of town family and no guest room.

infomama
08-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Dd1 is in a twin bed (my old Ethan Allen canopy bed) and she is a squirmy little thing. She hit the floor a couple of times in the beginning so we just lowered her bed to the floor. She really wants a new bed so I think when that happens it will be a full/queen.

katydid1971
08-23-2009, 11:20 PM
we bought a twin because the kids rooms are smallish. FWIW DH (6'4") and I both grew up with twin beds just fine. Right now we don't have a trundle but the manufacturer makes one and they are only about 45 minutes away, we can add one if we want to later.

JustMe
08-23-2009, 11:22 PM
I got a twin sized trundle bed for dd. Her room is on the smaller size and could fit a bigger bed, but would sacrifice a lot of room. I thought that if she had trouble with falling out, she could just sleep on the trundle bed (which does not rise in the model we have) for a while. We didnt need to do this, as she did fine.

mamica
08-24-2009, 12:24 AM
We got a twin, but we plan to get a full when dc is early-teenish. The lifespan of the twin mattress will be running out about then anyway.

Neatfreak
08-24-2009, 02:32 AM
DD1 went into a double b/c we already had a new-ish mattress and boxspring sitting around in our guest room and we hardly ever have guests.

WatchingThemGrow
08-24-2009, 05:28 AM
The saleswoman at the furniture store said you can use a twin headboard with a metal bedframe and an XL twin mattress if your DC get too tall for a twin with a footboard.

KrisM
08-24-2009, 06:56 AM
We have twins. I thought about a full, but if they somehow end up tall, we can do something about it in 10-13 years. My kids won't be too tall for a twin at age 9 :).

No trundle. No visitors :(.

egoldber
08-24-2009, 07:01 AM
We bought a full for Sarah so that we can use it as an occasional guest bed.

maestramommy
08-24-2009, 07:11 AM
We are moving Dora to a twin bed. She has also done well in hotels with kings and queens, but we don't have that kind of room. Her bed will place her about a foot of the ground, maybe 18 inches? And her room is carpeted, so if she does roll out of bed, it shouldn't hurt. We *will* give her the usual warning about rolling around too much and falling.

I think trundle is a great idea if you think you'll be having guests. There are some really fun ones online.

doberbrat
08-24-2009, 09:07 AM
twin.

Her room is too small for anything else and I think there's something nice about getting a 'big' bed when you move out of your college dorm.

mecawa
08-24-2009, 10:44 AM
We did a queen size bed for DD1 but that was mostly due to the fact that we wanted to go up to a king and had a really nice queen bed that we didn't want to go to waste so we gave it to her.

vonfirmath
08-24-2009, 11:04 AM
Growing up, my sister and I just had twins. We slept together in a twin through junior high school when we had guests. When friends came over, we pulled out the sleeping bags and slept on the floor.

(Later I got a full bed because my bedroom was the guest bedroom And that made it easier for them. But it ate up a LOT of my floor space!)

All was great.

My husband has an antique bed a relative made that his father slept in, he slept in (until he got too tall) and we'll be moving our son into. It is between twin and full in size. When he got too tall for it, in his junior high years, his parents got him a larger bed. But he was still able to sleep in it for a decade. And when we have guests, BOTH of my parents can share it. (my husband is 5'11", my father is closer to 5'8")

AnnieW625
08-24-2009, 11:30 AM
DD is in a twin bed. I am 5'6" and can still sleep comfortably in a twin bed so it should last her a really long time. I think the length on a twin and a full is the same.

vonfirmath
08-24-2009, 02:32 PM
DD is in a twin bed. I am 5'6" and can still sleep comfortably in a twin bed so it should last her a really long time. I think the length on a twin and a full is the same.

The same or close enough, yes. I had a full when I got married (looking forward to the day when I'd have to share). And it wasn't long enough for my husband so we ended up getting another bed ANYWAY. (Queen)

PS And my husband's sister is really tall too, but she got the antique bed after he got too tall and it was never a problem for her. I'll have to find what her height is.

maestramommy
08-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Same here. Both Dh and I grew up sleeping in a twin. In fact, except for a couple of hotel stays I slept in a twin until I got married. We're not very big people though, so I never thought a twin was too small. When I did sleep on a queen in a hotel, I ended up literally using only one side of the bed all night:p

m4nash
08-24-2009, 05:40 PM
Eventhough a twin and a full are the same length if your DC is tall they can sleep at an angle in the full (assuming they are sleeping alone) giving them more room to stretch out.

We got a full for DS1, but we don't expect him to be tall. We wanted to have a bed that could be an occasional guest bed.

We'll get a twin for DS2 b/c his room isn't big enough for anything else.

niccig
08-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Full lower bunk, twin upper bunk. DS sleeps on the bottom. DH wanted the full as he was uncomfortable in a twin as a teenager. I gave in, as not a big deal to me. I'm really glad we have a full - all 3 of us can fit on the bed for reading book. When DS has a nightmare and I go in to comfort him, I normally fall asleep in his bed - and I'm comfortable too.

Elilly
08-24-2009, 06:27 PM
We do not have a guest room, so DD has a queen sized bed and her room serves as the guest room when needed. Because of that, DS has a full sized bed with trundle. A twin just seems so small knowing that he someday he'll be 17 and still sleeping in it!

brittone2
08-24-2009, 06:34 PM
We colsept until DS was a bit over 3. He went right to our old Queen bed (we upgraded to a King while I was cosleeping w/ DS and pg with DD). His bedroom is fairly big (pretty comparable to our master in size). With the bigger bed (and being older) he did fine without bedrails but that is really dependent on the child.

I like that we can kick him out and use it as a guest bed when necessary. DD is 2.75 and still cosleeping, but we have a twin set up for her in "her" room (that she doesn't sleep in ;) ). When we have out of town guests, DS sleeps in the twin and the guests have the Queen bed.

kozachka
09-03-2009, 12:55 PM
We wanted to have a bed that could be an occasional guest bed.

I am also leaning towards a full size bed for this very reason

BeachBum
09-03-2009, 02:46 PM
We got a twin, but we plan to get a full when dc is early-teenish. The lifespan of the twin mattress will be running out about then anyway.

Us too. I was stressing over this until I realized that I couldn't expect a mattress to last from now until he's grown. :)